Big welders...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Big welders...

Wow! My neighbor is moving to Alaska, and doesn't want to take his welder with him. It's a Miller "Big 40" (40 volt, 300 amp 100% duty cycle) arc welder, powered by a continental 4 cylinder engine. It's mounted on a 9' gooseneck tandem axle (5000 lb axles) trailer, that he built specifically for the welder. It's got tool boxes for rods and leads storage on both sides. It runs and welds good, he rebuilt the carb on it over the winter. He has to go soon and he's offered it to me for $1500.

I know nothing about these welders, as I have always used a 135 amp MIG welder.
    I guess my question is, is it a good buy?

I have a '57 C-4 PW with dually wheels on the back, no bed and no engine or transmission. I have been thinking about putting a 291 Desoto hemi V8 and 5 speed that I have in the truck and building a nice flatbed and installing the "BIG 40" along with a oxyacetylene system and my MIG in a tool box on the side. Sort of a mobile welding/cutting unit. I do just about all of my welding and cutting outside if possible, and lugging even that little MIG around is a hassle.

As for the trailer, I have been wanting a gooseneck to haul Power-Wagons and antique farm equipment I seem to collect (don't we all) with for a while. I figure I can put a 3rd 5000 lb axle on the trailer, and haul not only Power Wagons, but my old '59 AC D-14 with Sawnell loader and backhoe unit to the different events around my patch of dirt. Of course I would have to lengthen the trailer about 15'.

I may just be justifying the purchase to myself, but I will need a bigger welder than that 135 MIG to weld up the flatbed and trailer, and some other projects.

Your thoughts please.....

Jonas Smith
    Ellensburg, WA

If I am understanding this correctly, he is offering you the welder and trailer for this sum of money. Consider what it would cost to buy a trailer alone, and just for grins call the welding supply house, your local Miller dealer, and see what a new one (or equivalent) would be.

My experience with stuff that welders build for themselves is that it is nicely done and over-engineered, meaning it is super duty stuff. I'll bet the trailer is worth $1,500 alone, easily.

Does the welder have AC outlets allowing you to run power tools, too?

I envy your opportunity.... where did you say this guy lives??? I had better go fuel the truck and get over there fast, while you are thinking about it. :)
    Power Wagon Advertiser monthly magazine, editor & publisher.

Why is it that the inside of old truck cabs smell so good?

Comment

Oh yes...

Tools are wonderfull things. I bought it. The trailer is really over-engineered! It does have the outlets to run power tools, And you can use 110 or 220 I believe.

After I build my shop, I am going to put in a loft for holding parts and what not so I guess I will have to build the supporting members out of steel I beams now instead of wood posts!

Comment

Heres a pic of the welding unit...

It's a 1972 vintage (so am I!). We'll see if the picture shows up.
        Last edited by Jonas Smith; 08-03-2007, 06:06 PM.

Comment

Another picture...

What do you think???
          Last edited by Jonas Smith; 08-03-2007, 06:06 PM.

Comment

Leave it alone?

Jonas,

You said you like to move your welding equipment around. I would suggest you leave that set up just like it is, at least for now.

It looks like an outfit that would be super easy to hook to, and carry with you anywhere. That would leave your Dodge free to do anything you want, but you still have full mobility with your welding unit.

On lengthening the trailer, I think it would be much easier, and cost effective, to go buy the trailer you want. I have a friend with a nice 3 axle trailer for sale, if you are interested.

Comment

Big Welders

Jonas,
              It looks like you caught a great deal! I'm new here, and new to welding as well.
              1953 Dodge M-37 WoW, Dept of Navy
              BTW ,Nice shop/pictures

Comment

Nice rig and you will be quite pleased with it. I ran Lincoln SA200's for years and they are great machines but have no auxiliary power outlets. Get to burning some rods!

Comment

Working...
                X