New Workbench

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Workbench

I finally beat the snot out of my wood built workbench and found some time to replace it with a home built steel version.

I basically removed the entire shelving and workbench from this wall with hopes of making it, . . . . err better? I hope.

My original wood bench was 16' long X 24". Most of the time it was messy, so my new bench will be limited to 8' X 2'. This should allow me to free up some wall space on the only wall I have that doesn't share a window, shelves or a side door.

I made the top table support with 2x2x1/8" and 1.5x1.5x1/8" square tube. The six support legs are 1.5x1.5x1/8" square tube as well.

I added three shelves made from 1x1x.090. I haven't decided what to cover them with. I may use expanded metal but I haven't rulled out good ole 3/4" plywood.

It's hard to tell from the pics but I have a steep slope on the floor, along with the short protruding solid concrete stem wall. I was able to compensate for the stem wall but I'm gonna have to ad some adjustable feet for the slope. I first thought that I'd just add some spacers to make the table level but if I want to move it to another location later on, the adjustable feet will make it more universal.

Tomorrow I'll torch out the top plate from 1/4" steel. I will also add a 2"x1/4" strap along the back edge of the plate in order to help protect the sheetrock a little.
    Attached Files

Nice work!!!

Bucky

Comment

I've got the adjustable feet, the top and backsplash all cut and welded into place today. Almost finished.

There was a huge bow in the 1/4" top plate that I used. Must have used about every availible clamp in my stash to flatten it out!

Above my new bench will be a 4'x8' peg board. I'm hoping to un-clutter my tool box some.
      Attached Files

Comment

I was able to finish the shelves and got the pegboard hung on the wall.

I didn't have enough expanded metal to finish the third shelf so I used up some 16 gauge plate that I had.

Now it's time clean up the huge pile of parts, tools and junk beyond the pics.

I'm an extreme neat freak so the mess is driving me nuts.
        Attached Files

Comment

Looks like a winner. I can't tell in the last picture but did you paint it all? Fighting clutter is never ending battle around here.

Comment

I like your welding table/fixture, too. The one constructed of C-channel. How do you use that? Did you build it for a particular purpose or project?
            Power Wagon Advertiser monthly magazine, editor & publisher.

Why is it that the inside of old truck cabs smell so good?

Comment

Originally posted by Ron in Indiana View Post
              Looks like a winner. I can't tell in the last picture but did you paint it all? Fighting clutter is never ending battle around here.
              I typically don't paint anything that will be indoors 24/7. I'm so meticulous about some things. I'd spend more time touching up the scratches than actually working on it. Haha.

Comment

Originally posted by Gordon Maney View Post
                I like your welding table/fixture, too. The one constructed of C-channel. How do you use that? Did you build it for a particular purpose or project?
                This is how I build my welding tables.

The most popular to build a wedling table is with a flat steel surface that's made from 3/8" or 1/2" plate. It's extremely rigid, almost perfectly flat, but is very expensive!

A lot of people will mock up their project on the table and tack weld down to the surface on order to keep the parts sqaure during the welding process. Then you have to cut the tack welds loose and grind them off your project and your table afterwards.

With C-channel or even better, jr I-beam, I can still achieve the rigid, flat surface and save a lot of money. Plus, I can literally place a clamp anywhere on anything on different angles without having to tack weld.

The C-channel works extremely well. However, I can only clamp on one side of the channel. The I-beam is more rigid and provides a little more clamping surface.

I like the channel and the flat surface tables. If I had deeper pocket's and could figure out a way for my hobbies to make some money, I'd have a flat surface table with 1/2" plate. My table cost about $200+. I'm guessing the 1/2" plate table would cost about triple.

Comment

This is what I made tonight.

I had all these jars full of nuts, bolts etc mounted underneath an overhead shelf that I removed. The shelf always made me feel crowded but I didn't want to let go of the jars.

Hopefully this will work out.
                  Attached Files

Comment

I like it!

Comment

My uncle does the hanging jar thing too. Saves space plus you can visibly see what's inside each jar w/o having to dig through them.

Bucky

Comment

Sadly, there is very little anymore sold in glass jars.

Comment

Originally posted by Gordon Maney View Post
                          Sadly, there is very little anymore sold in glass jars.
                          I want to say baby food still comes in them, but honestly I don't know. I don't have children & havent eaten baby food since college haha.

Certain brands of picante & cheese sauces still do.

I miss glass. Plastic has ruined our society, in my opinion.

Bucky

Comment

Seriously, this might be the time to ask all your friends if they have any glass jars they don't want. Collect and store them for the future.

Comment

All these jars are "Ranch Dressing" chip dip. Been collecting them for a very looooooooooooooooooooooong time.

They're still in stores so I get another one about once a month.

Comment

Working...
                              X