Dust masks and eye glasses

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dust masks and eye glasses

I'm sure those who wear glasses have experienced the problem of wearing a dust mask and having your glasses fog. What do you when you encounter this? Which dust or particle mask do you use that is better than others? The only way I've found to avoid fogging is to wear a respirator style mask that fully contacts my face. These get uncomfortable after a while as well as hot to wear. I wear a mask while sanding bondo and cleaning rusty metal and have tried 3 different styles of masks. Any thoughts?

3m coolflow

youtube video specifically mentions eyeware fogging.

Comment

I have been fighting the same problem for the last 25 years, as I wore dust masks in my mowing business, and still use them in my stump grinding business. i have tried about every type mask available, and have not found a solution to the glass fogging problem. If you come up with something, I sure want to hear about it.
      Jeff

Comment

Fogging

Just a thought. When you snorkel or dive, fogging of the mask is a common problem. The solution is to either first spit into your mask and rub it around or put a dab of baby shampoo (doesn't sting the eyes) in and smear that around. This procedure prevents the fogging from occurring. I believe the theory is that the soap or spit breaks surface tension and without surface tension water won't bead up (fog.) Don't know if this will apply to your situation as it had never occurred to me to try this technique in a dry land situation.
        DavidGB

Comment

Fogging

Sorry, I forgot to mention in my description that typically one dunks ones mask briefly in water after application of the defogger of choice (spit, baby shampoo,etc.) before putting it on.
          DavidGB

Comment

Originally posted by Ron in Indiana View Post
            I'm sure those who wear glasses have experienced the problem of wearing a dust mask and having your glasses fog. What do you when you encounter this? Which dust or particle mask do you use that is better than others? The only way I've found to avoid fogging is to wear a respirator style mask that fully contacts my face. These get uncomfortable after a while as well as hot to wear. I wear a mask while sanding bondo and cleaning rusty metal and have tried 3 different styles of masks. Any thoughts?
            I have one of these and it is great. I can't wear my glasses under it, however.
            Power Wagon Advertiser monthly magazine, editor & publisher.

Why is it that the inside of old truck cabs smell so good?

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff in N.Tx. View Post
              I have been fighting the same problem for the last 25 years, as I wore dust masks in my mowing business, and still use them in my stump grinding business. i have tried about every type mask available, and have not found a solution to the glass fogging problem. If you come up with something, I sure want to hear about it.
              Jeff
              I am interested in your comment about wearing a dust mask while mowing. I have been in some very dusty situations mowing and have been thinking about that. What circumstances prompted you to begin this habit?

Comment

When I mowed I had better luck with wrapping a bandana/rag around my face, just like the old train robbers.

Bucky

Comment

Mowing down here in the summer stirs up/creates a lot of dust. In the spring, it stirs up pollen and mold. in the fall, the leaf cleanups create huge amounts of dust. I have some alergies to various type of dust and pollen, plus, the dust just does a number on my sinus's. I also felt that breathing in all that dust just could not be good for a persons lungs.
                  Of course, this was not your typical once a week mowing at home. This was a commercial where I was mowing 8 hours/day and 5 or 6 days/week. It was normal for the dust mack to be black and clogged within two hours, so I used throwaway types, and put a new one on quite often throughout the day.
                  Jeff

Originally posted by Gordon Maney View Post
                  I am interested in your comment about wearing a dust mask while mowing. I have been in some very dusty situations mowing and have been thinking about that. What circumstances prompted you to begin this habit?

Comment

I am also allergic to dust. I am thinking of trying goggles, too, as eye irritation and allergic reaction is a problem.

Comment

Fogging

I used to play alot of paintball games. I wore goggles over eyeglasses-serious fogging. After trying "no-fog", "anti-fog", "never fog", "miracle-clear" etc. one of our players came up with a simple, effective, solution that helped us. On clean lenses use a small dab of Dawn diswashing liquid or equivalent, rub it to a thin haze like paste wax, let it dry for a minute, polish it off with a clean, dry cloth or paper towel. This method proved very effective for me. I've also used it on motorcycle helmet shields with good results.
                      I used to be too "macho" to wear dust masks, eye & hearing protection. I use these things nowdays, IF, I'm not in too big of a hurry!

phil

Comment

Working...
                      X