Hey welder type guys!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hey welder type guys!

Can anyone recommend a good self darkening welding hood brand. I just tried a friends hood and I really like that feature. His was a Harbor freight special, and as such it felt very flimsy.

Hey Bob, have you tried your LWS or maybe; http://store.cyberweld.com/?gclid=CO...FYTd4AoduVkAFg

I purchased mine at ARCET, a LWS here in Richmond, they might be national as well? I love it, it beats throwing my head around.

Comment

Thanks for the link Bruce. I'll check into them. I can't believe I've been struggling with a tilt style helmet all this time while these were available.

Comment

Northern Tool Carries the Hobart brand ones. I really like mine. Very adjustable, and not as flimsy as the Hobo-freight ones. I had a friend that mocked me for a while about he would rather buy 4 hobo freight masks before paying $200 for one like mine. He used mine and the next time I was in his shop, he had one hanging from his MIG bottle.
        1942 WC53 Carryall in progress.

Comment

Originally posted by Alxj64 View Post
          Northern Tool Carries the Hobart brand ones. I really like mine. Very adjustable, and not as flimsy as the Hobo-freight ones. I had a friend that mocked me for a while about he would rather buy 4 hobo freight masks before paying $200 for one like mine. He used mine and the next time I was in his shop, he had one hanging from his MIG bottle.
          Thanks Alex, I'll check them out.
          I would have told your friend that I'd prefer to spend the money for a quality helmet than lay around for several days with medicated patches covering my eyes, because the cheap one let me down.

Comment

I've got a Jackson W-50 Auto darkening helmet and love it. Had it for about 7 years and have replaced batteries once in that time. It has a solar panel on it to help with charging as well. Variable darkness control along with variable speed control. Viewer is bigger than normal which is nice.

I've used it quite a bit and no problems. Yes, they are pricey till you consider what you're trying to protect. I don't normally skimp on safety stuff.

Comment

I think that's the same one I have and it's been great.
              I drive a DODGE, not a ram!

Thanks,
              Will
              WAWII.com

1946 WDX Power Wagon - "Missouri Mule"
              1953 M37 - "Frankenstein"
              1993 Jeep YJ - "Will Power"
              1984 Dodge Ramcharger - "2014 Ramcharger"
              2006 3500 DRW 4WD Mega Cab - "Power Wagon Hauler"

Comment

Oddly enough , I ordered a Jackson helmet monday morning. It was recommended by the guy that does our heavy welding. I tried it out in his shop . He warned that low power TIG might not trip the sensor but the dealer said the new generation lens do quite well in all ranges 9-13, which covers anything I might zap. Otherwise it's off to Brett and his crew.

Thanks for the recommendation though .

Comment

Did it last year, wish I'd done it sooner...

Jackson had a rebate going and I bought a WH60, the **** thing improved my MIG welding Sssooooo much it is beyond belief.

Congratulations, you will love it, just remember to turn it on...LOL, not like me..!!!
                  DrPepper

Comment

Working...
                  X