Transmission jacks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Transmission jacks

I have used 4-ton floor jacks before as transmission jacks, though they often leave something to be desired. I have also used serious truck transmission jacks, but never to remove a transmission and transfer case together.

I consider looking for a transmission jack, so I have one whenever I really need it. My late model truck is a 2001 with the 6-speed, but being prepared for other configurations is good, too.

What do you feel is the transmission jack you would choose if you could? I am meaning a jack for use on the floor, not a jack for under a lift.

Are you fabricating any pieces to allow the jack to better engage with the shape of the transfer case or transmission? Are you typically removing the transfer case first, and then the transmission?

I would rather look for a good jack at my leisure, rather than make do when a crisis comes.

I am interested in your thoughts. Thanks....
    Power Wagon Advertiser monthly magazine, editor & publisher.

Why is it that the inside of old truck cabs smell so good?

Still doing research on this? Thought you would have made the leap by now! ;-)
    1949 B-1 PW (Gus)
    1955 C-3 PW (Woodrow)
    2001 Dodge 2500 (Dish...formerly Maney's Mopar)
    1978 Suzuki GS1000EC (fulfills the need...the need for speed)
    1954 Ford 860 tractor
    1966 Chrysler LS 16 sailboat (as yet un-named)
    UVA UVAM VIVENDO VARIA FITS

Comment

I missed a really great jack on ebay, but it was in Denver, Colorado, and I did not know that I had any way to get it.....

Comment

I am resurrecting this old thread to raise the same question.

What would be the best jack to look for to do the NV5600 6-speed in the Cummins Ram?

No, my truck has not failed, but someday I will have to put a clutch in it and I would like to be ready.

Comment

Do the new trucks have a floor cover...?

Many years ago I pulled the trans on my '66 town wagon and I removed the floor cover and built two 2x4 slides on each side of the trans level with the engine/trans. On top I put a 4x4 across with a hole and "1/2" All Thread" to a piece of angle. Tightened the nut to lift the trans and slid it back. It hung there until I was done with the clutch and slid it back.

It needs to have a big cover and room to build a ramp to slid it, a 1957 1966 TW can do it.

Comment

Many years ago when I was younger and stupider I did a 440 conversion in my '64 W300.When it came time to replace the NP 435 I screwed a couple headless bolts in the top holes of the bellhousing,laid on the ground next to said transmission,hugged it none to tenderly,rolled over on my back with it on my chest and bench pressed it into place.This may well top the clutch job I did on my 5.0 Mustang when it was 5 degrees above zero 'cause I didn't want to do it in the mud.I think trans jacks are wonderful things and hope there is more discourse on this subject.

Comment

I once did my 1948 Power Wagon transmission by hand, though I would not now. Or could not.....

The NV5600 weighs 360 pounds.

Comment

I've lifted my share of trannys by hand.....

but even 40 years ago I couldn't press a NP435 by hand. Ross, you are a stronger man than I...you won't hear an argument from me!

Comment

There was an eighties girl band song"I like 'em big and stupid".

Comment

Gordon-

I've seen an adapter for floor jacks that allow them to become lo-profile tranny jacks. You want at least a 3 ton jack for stability. It goes in place of the cup on a standard floor jack. Comments about them vs a Harbor Freight scissors-type lift here: http://www.ls1tech.com/forums/manual...-well-not.html

Comment

I have seen such adapters and they are not very substantial. A 360 lb. transmission is a lot to work with.

I have both 4 ton and 10 ton floor jacks, but for a trans that big I don't care to try it that way.

Comment

Sounds like you're in the market for something in the $300 plus range. Your only other option is looking for something at the rental yard.

Comment

Originally posted by maineSS View Post
                          Sounds like you're in the market for something in the $300 plus range. Your only other option is looking for something at the rental yard.
                          I think I should stop at the rental place to see what they have. If a rental unit big enough is available. that may be the way to go.

Comment

Last clutch job I did,I was able to rent a nice Lincoln trannie jack,worked well.

Comment

Working...
                            X