Portable Generators

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Portable Generators

I'm wanting to buying a portable generator for around the farm. It will mostly be used for running power tools and other small load equipment, but will also be used for the fridge and the wifes TV (plus other necessories) during power outages. Living here on the gulf coast of Texas has put me in the dark many times in the past and now it's time to put a stop to it. I'm looking for one that will generate around 5500 watts. I've used a friends Coleman (5550 watt) for surf fishing at night and it worked great. It ran for a good 10 hours before it shutdown and we had a darn good load on it.

My question is what manufacture would ya'll recommend. I'm sure there are better ones out there other than the Colemans, but I would like to hear opinions from the board members. Please give me the good, the bad and the ugly from your own personal experience.

Thanks

Hi Bosco,
    I have a 6kw Multiquip generator I bought used from an equipment rental place. I got a good deal on it and it is alot heavier duty than the cheapo depot types. I have never had any problems with it.
    Tim
    57 Power Wagon
    Numerous Power Wagon parts trucks!
    57 W-100
    60 W-100
    51 M37
    61 Triumph TR-3A
    80 Triumph Spitfire
    09 Dodge Ram 2500HD
    05 Subaru Outback
    10 speed bike
    Hiking Boots

Sumus quod sumus

Comment

Hi Bosco,
      My first generator was a little Honda, a 2500 or 2000 or somethng there abouts, and it always ran on the first pull unless it was out of gas. It rode 2 years in the back of a work truck and was subjected to all sorts of abuse including blowing Wyoming sand, rain, snow, 115 degree mid day temperatures, use as a step stool, use as a work bench, use as a dog anchor (a pit bull that would drag it around a while before getting tired), and so on...

The one time it didn't start, I replaced the spark plug and that fixed it good as new. I liked it because it was very compact (no wasted/open space) and ran every tool we used (even two or three including the capstan winch). I sold it with my company and now regret it, they are a bit pricey!

My second generator was a coleman powermate I bought at Sams Club. It was not compact, was not eager to start, always ran rough, took a while to get power tools moving to speed and wouldn't charge my batteries for my Dewalts (Coleman uses a cheap inverter with a square wave). I took it back a few weeks later.

Neccessity and lack of sufficient cash required my purchase of my third generator, a Porter Cable form Lowes (5500 watt). It seems to be the compromise between my first two generators. If it doesn't start on the first pull there is something wrong- a few times the low oil sensor wouldn't let it start because it wasn't on perfectly level ground (a scarcity where I live), once because the rubber grommet on the fuel drain valve deteriorated and all the gas leaked out (well...leaked out twice before I figured out why it smelled so strong like gas), once because the "emergency field repair" of the above mentioned grommet clogged the fuel line, and once because the mini c-clamp I was using as a temporary fuel shut off valve was doing its job while my mind was not.

I should also mention that it is important to NOT check the oil level until the motor stops completely unless you wish to be coated with most of the oil in the engine! (just for the record - I thought it would be a time saving measure). Anyway, I am ok with this purchase, but I sure miss my Honda!

The Honda is quieter, and I swear it puts out more, better, and cleaner power than higher wattage generators made by the competition. They will take a lickin' and keep on tickin'...

Comment

I own a Coleman 5500w and have had some trouble with it. It does not like any moisture (like dew) and will often trip out on me or give me reduced voltage. I believe I should be able to leave it in the back of the truck once in a while since it's advertised as all-weather. It has been back to HDepot a couple of times, works a while and then craps out again. A friend of mine has a little Honda and the most impressive thing is how quiet it is but my next one will just be a Miller engine driven welder with aux outputs - I know Big Blue will work when I need it.

Comment

HWooldridge,
          I was just thinking right after I posted my last post..... I want a generator/welder too! It would be great mounted on the back of a PW! I would want a diesel powered one, but a Honda would be more portable...

Comment

Fuzz,

Those diesel sets are a bit pricey for me but mighty nice. I was perusing Lincoln's site a few weeks ago and they are still making the old SA-200 Pipeliner (great welder - I had one years ago) but it only has one aux circuit. I noticed they also make a completely stainless version of that rig for marine environments with a diesel - I think it was over $20K. Think I'll stick to a Miller Trailblazer or Bobcat.

Comment

HW,
              Super pricey but worth it if you use it, and have something dedicated to hauling it around. I was thinking of a used one which I have seen from time to time for $1000+. The few I have been around seem to be pretty hard to kill.

Comment

Thanks for the info guys. I think I will pass on the diesel sets unless I find one at a very good buy (not to say I would not like to have one). Seems that right now is not a good time to buy a generator, because of the hurricanes that have been pounding Florida. Most of the carriers here are out of stock and have been shipping them to our friends in the Sunshine state. They need them more than I do. I will just wait awhile untill hurricane season is over and then began my search. That is unless one of those hurricanes threatens the Texas coast near me.

Comment

I'm still useing my old Lincoln G-7 welder/generator
                  been draging it arounf for about 15 years
                  was spensive, but can generate 7000 watts to run the well pump or weld ac/dc
                  they are more but being able to take it down the road to fix something is great

Comment

I've had great luck with my Military 3Kw. It's under rated, (more like 5Kw). Features single and 3 phase. Has a true sine wave & a real accurate governer. Plus you can adjust the voltage to get full power at the load. Has a smooth & quiet 4 cyl military standard engine. Super heavy duty, designed for continuous running in all weather. Just a great machine & I only paid $375 on Gov auction.

Comment

Miller welders are great machines. The Bobcat is good and pretty cheap. I prefer the Trailblazer with the Onan for just over $3000 or diesel for $6000 The trailblazer weighs just over 500 lbs. Of course I also have a Big40 Diesel (about $8500) but worth it.

Comment

I have a dewalt, it was a little pricey but it always starts on the first pull and you don't need to pull it hard or fast, just real it out.

It comes with a lifting ring that is handy if you have a small crane in your bed and wheels. I frequently pull it behind a small trailer attached to an ATV. The wheels are solid and good for hardpack, they are too short for sand or mud.

Great little generator

Comment

Working...
                        X