Acetylene torch cart

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Acetylene torch cart

I have an acetylene torch cart I built years ago, using new — but fairly small — wheels. For a long time I have wanted larger diameter wheels to make it easier to go across the ground outdoors, particularly on uneven terrain.

Have any of you built such a cart, and do you have interesting ideas to offer?
    Power Wagon Advertiser monthly magazine, editor & publisher.

Why is it that the inside of old truck cabs smell so good?

Nothing special or important to add, just use a 5/8 medium hardness rolled rod for an axle and you can use about any size wheel. You can also find stainless rod in that size, but it is pretty much overkill unless your cart is extrememly heavy and it is harder to work with. Most of the bigger, quality wheels have a 5/8" shaft hub with ball bearings. A few have 3/4" Find your wheels first then get the rod, as the rod is cheaper than the wheels. I puddled a spot inside the wheel location to act as a stop then drilled a hole and used a cotter pin as an outer stop to hold the wheel onto the axle. Just position the wheel so that the cart is at rest with the wheel just barely touching the ground, until you tilt to move.
    MN
    Last edited by MoparNorm; 10-31-2004, 05:40 PM.

Comment

Some of the neater old carts I have seen had all metal wheels..... a perimeter of 1-1/2 to 2 inches wide, metal spokes, and a metal hub. Some were castings. I don't know where to get anything like that anymore.

I have seen some with pneumatic tires, but I don't care for that idea. There are times when I might go to use the torch in the dead of winter, and perhaps have a low tire. Then I would have to start my compressor, which I might not want to do.

Comment

Hi Gordon,
        I have a small set of tanks, B tanks if I remember correctly. The wheels on that cart are about 4" diameter. OK on a smooth floor but dont try to roll over a cord or something. I was thinking the same thing, larger wheels would be nice. Then my eyes fell on an old golf bag caddy. It has about 12" diameter wheels. There may be a marriage in the future...
        Tim
        57 Power Wagon
        Numerous Power Wagon parts trucks!
        57 W-100
        60 W-100
        51 M37
        61 Triumph TR-3A
        80 Triumph Spitfire
        09 Dodge Ram 2500HD
        05 Subaru Outback
        10 speed bike
        Hiking Boots

Sumus quod sumus

Comment

I wouldn't have...

Originally posted by Gordon Maney
          Some of the neater old carts I have seen had all metal wheels..... a perimeter of 1-1/2 to 2 inches wide, metal spokes, and a metal hub. Some were castings. I don't know where to get anything like that anymore.

I have seen some with pneumatic tires, but I don't care for that idea. There are times when I might go to use the torch in the dead of winter, and perhaps have a low tire. Then I would have to start my compressor, which I might not want to do.
          ...anything but 10" or larger pneumatic tires, for the reasons Tim mentioned. But your issues are valid, Northern Tool makes 10" wheels in solid rubber to eliminate that issue.
          You really need the larger, softer tires for mobility and the ability to easily move over cords, hoses, dirt and whatever. It is really a good way to go. If you have a shop floor with tiles, epoxy, or any type of coating you do not want metal wheels. Metal wheels are good for trains but marginal for most other uses.
          MN

Comment

I have a big propane tank carrier I built that uses old wheelchair wheels. I welded a piece of pipe fairly high on the frame that the one-piece axle goes thru. Those large diameter wheels have solid tires, will roll over almost anything, are well constructed and rated for a lot of weight. It's very easy to load a couple hundred pounds on this dolly and roll it most anywhere.

Comment

Originally posted by HWooldridge
              I have a big propane tank carrier I built that uses old wheelchair wheels. I welded a piece of pipe fairly high on the frame that the one-piece axle goes thru. Those large diameter wheels have solid tires, will roll over almost anything, are well constructed and rated for a lot of weight. It's very easy to load a couple hundred pounds on this dolly and roll it most anywhere.
              Interesting..... now if there was just such a thing as a wheelchair junkyard.....

Comment

Hi Gordon!

Wheelbarrow wheels and tires work pretty well. Many of those old spoked steel wheels you've seen were probably just that, albeit vintage iron.

You might have to do some hacksaw surgery on the hub on one side of the wheels or something, but overall they're cheap, plentiful and effective. They've even got some Slime Seal stuff already injected into the inner tubes when I bought some from Ace Hardware. No flats!
                JimmieD

Comment

Gordon,

Originally posted by Gordon Maney
                  Interesting..... now if there was just such a thing as a wheelchair junkyard.....
                  Northern Tool also has those spoked wheels as well as 10" and 12" solid rubber tires. Just look at their catalog on-line and read the weight ratings.
                  MN

Comment

McMaster-Carr

McMaster has a listing of steel spoked wheels with either flat-free cushion, pneumatic, steel, or solid rubber tires. Their range covers axle diameters of 1/2" to 3/4", and overall tire diameters of 14" to 26".

Look for part number 2525T19

www.mcmaster.com

Clint
                    Attached Files

Comment

Gordon,

Just one more thought. The larger the wheels, the easier to move the cart, and the lower the center of gravity from the axle, when the cart is at rest. BUT, the lower the center of gravity, results in MORE weight below the pivot point and the harder it will be to tip and move. Most shop carts have 6" wheels which means the tip or pivot point is 3" off of the ground. Large 24" wheels would place the pivot point at about 12" and that is about optimum for moving the cart around. I have 10" wheels and it moves very smoothly, but they are pneumatic tires that I pump up to get about 11" in diameter.
                      Good luck with this project!
                      MN

Last edited by MoparNorm; 11-05-2004, 08:12 AM.

Comment

Gordon,
                        Here is a cart on Ebay. Follow this link or cut and paste.
                        http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...850304955&rd=1

I have the very same one and it works great for rough terrain, very well balanced with owner tanks, 65ft of hose and all the accessories. I also have two pneumatic tired carts at work which also work well provided that you keep the tires filled with the proper air pressure. I hope this helps you out.
                        Attached Files
                        Last edited by dwp99; 11-07-2004, 09:10 PM.

Comment

There you go Gordon!

All you need is to take it to Bandag and get some re-caps on those spokes so you can tool around on rubber and you'll be all set. The Solid rubber tires I mentioned earlier would set you back the bid amount on that cart.
                          MN

Comment

Working...
                          X