Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Welding basics

And I mean reeeeally(!) basic.

Many, many years ago I took an adult ed course in welding. I’ve forgotten just about everything I learned – except for the great respect I have for intense heat. Now I’ve got myself a project/hobby (a ’41 WC-27 ambulance) and I need to relearn the basics and develop some skill at welding. I don’t plan to do any heavy stuff (I’ll take that to a pro), just mostly fixing the sheet metal on the body. There are classes offered at the local community college, but I’d like to teach myself.

Any suggestions on where to start and how to proceed?

Thanx,
    Terry

Here was have what are called adult or continuing education courses. Often taught at a community college at night or on weekends, also taught in local high school industrial arts shops, assuming the local district has not totally eliminated the programs.

I think there is too much to gain by taking a class that you don't want to miss. I would urge you to take a class. They are very low cost.
    Power Wagon Advertiser monthly magazine, editor & publisher.

Why is it that the inside of old truck cabs smell so good?

Comment

Having taken a 1-year course at a tech college 10 years ago and being a professional welder since then. My recommendation is to take a short evening course and have a certified welding instructor show you the right way. Better to wreck their sheet metal that yours.

Don

Comment

Hey Shrinx,

I agree with the excellent advice you've already received.

For starters, you often receive handout materials that can be invaluable later. Second, you will undoubtedly work from a textbook at times, and you'll always have it for future [read that foggy memory] reference.

Not only that, but a single instructor's offhand one-liners and comments is enough to fill another book, and it is presented directly to you, and you can ask questions!

I would even wait until you hear the instructor's suggestions on welder purchases suitable to your specific intent. He's been working with the stuff for years, and knows what works, and what works best for what purpose.

Finally, we must view welding as something far more than simple joining of metals. In fact, it is the science of advanced metallurgy, applied at your hand, right before your eyes. The info on metals, grains, structures, hydrogen embrittlements, inclusions etc. etc. is complex indeed. The knowledge of preparation, fluxes, application of fillers, heat treating, weld finishing are another huge aspect. Can you learn it all yourself, at home? Yes, if you plan to live to about 200 and spend your time welding a lot....

You'll never regret taking the time to go back to school for awhile; plus you'll meet some new local friends with similar interests!
        JimmieD

Comment

Originally posted by JimmieD
          Not only that, but a single instructor's offhand one-liners and comments are enough to fill another book, and it is presented directly to you, and you can ask questions!
          Interesting that you point that out, because I have always felt that way.... that a good instructor offers as much informal content as formal content. And that part, in the final analysis, can often prove to be the most valuable.
          Power Wagon Advertiser monthly magazine, editor & publisher.

Why is it that the inside of old truck cabs smell so good?

Comment

Go to Miller Welding's website (I think it's www.millerwelds.com) and order the Miller Student Training Package for $25 in the Education section. It's 13 books and 3 calculators for a ridiculously low price. I think the MIG or TIG books alone are worth that.

Follow the advice and find a continuing ed course. That will catch you up with the latest technology and it's good practice.

Comment

You may be able to bring your project into the class and work on it there!

Comment

Back to school

I came to the right place. I've contacted the local community college and will enroll in an introductory welding class in the Spring. Thanks for steering me in the right direction.
                Terry

Comment

You can learn a lot as I did from a college course almost 40 years ago. But then it was a fast indepth course, 13 weeks, 5 hours a night 5 nights a week. We learned arc and acetylene welding and cutting. But a lot of practice afterwards is what will really give you the final touches in appearance and strength.
                  One of the most important things you can do is buy the best welding lens you can get. I've been welding all my life and at 58 I still don't need glasses except for small print. I now use an automatic helmet. I purchased one when they first came out several years ago and they are great.
                  Think what your eyes are worth before you decide on a welding lens.

Comment

Back to school

Rick -

Thanks for the advice. No subsititute for first class safety equipment.

I'm signing up for a class at the community college next week. Not nearly as intensive as yours. One night a week for starters.

Terry

Comment

Working...
                    X