Air tools for surface cleaning

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Air tools for surface cleaning

What kind of air tools are you using to clean, descale, or deburr surfaces? The old standby, the wire wheel on the bench grinder, won't work for a lot of things, particularly anything still attached to the truck. For years I have used sand paper, single edge razor blades, and hand wire brushes.

What are you using for air tools, what sort of media, and from what sources?
    Power Wagon Advertiser monthly magazine, editor & publisher.

Why is it that the inside of old truck cabs smell so good?

Re: Air tools for surface cleaning

Originally posted by Gordon Maney
    What kind of air tools are you using to clean, descale, or deburr surfaces? The old standby, the wire wheel on the bench grinder, won't work for a lot of things, particularly anything still attached to the truck. For years I have used sand paper, single edge razor blades, and hand wire brushes.

What are you using for air tools, what sort of media, and from what sources?
    Gordon I have used a needle gun to remove rust in areas that other methods will not work. They are pneumatic multi-pin scale remover. Taylor makes a good one that is not too costly and they do a wonderful job of removing rust and scale.
    http://www.mastersalesonline.com/taylor/t-7356.html
    Carter

Comment

Agreed - needle scalers are great and of course - there's always sand blasting. I use glass in the blast cabinet and sand when working outside. I can get clean, sifted sand here for $4/100 in bags.

Comment

I have seen those for cleaning welds, I have to admit I had never considered that.

I watched a video on front end repair and the person in the video used small air tools fitted with discs and wire wheels, or similarly shaped abrasive carriers. Are any of you using that sort of thing?

Comment

I have seen those for cleaning welds, I have to admit I had never considered that.

I watched a video on front end repair and the person in the video used small air tools fitted with discs and wire wheels, or similarly shaped abrasive carriers. Are any of you using that sort of thing?
          I also use a air powered hand held sander/grinder for both sanding and wirewheeling, I also make extensive use of a bench mounted wire wheel and grinder for hand held objects I need to clean.

Comment

The little palm sized air die grinders with the 2 inch or so pads that have Velcro backs are pretty good. The backup pad has the hooks and the sanding discs have the wool. I also have one of those little triangle shaped ones that reciprocate at high speed. They also use Velcro for holding the pad.

Comment

This might sound ridiculous, but some of my most enjoyable times over the years have been spent at the bench grinder, cleaning small parts with the wire wheel, particularly at night with the shop doors open....

Comment

This might sound ridiculous, but some of my most enjoyable times over the years have been spent at the bench grinder, cleaning small parts with the wire wheel, particularly at night with the shop doors open....
                I know the feeling, I get so wrapped up in what I am doing that I loose track of time. One night my wife came to the garage and ask if I was coming to bed, she also ask if I knew what time it was. I told her I would be in soon, I wanted to finish what I was doing, and no, I had no idea of the time. Well it turned out that it was 3:30am. Time flies when you are having fun, really. Carter

Comment

Same Here

I do things the same way, only not as often as I used too! I will have almost 4 weeks off around Christmas........ I have been tring to find one of the 2" sanders for my compressor, anybody have any suggestions?
                  Happy Turkey Day,

Comment

Working...
                  X