Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Used machine tools: Parts

Hi folks,

I will be buying some used machine tools in the next few months. I feel that I can get far better quality with some of the older major name brands than from the current [made in where? Can you spell that...] offerings.

One important item will be an industrial quality drill press, so I'll use that as an example. I may be going back as far as the '60's or [?] in order to get the good old 'Made in USA' quality, so in your experience with the older machines, what brands would you suggest for top notch quality, regardless of parts availability?

In particular, which of the brands might offer the best present day parts support or availability?

If possible, please post any suggestions on where to source parts on older industrial tools as well.
    Thanks,
    JimmieD

One thing I did was to browse for used machinery or used machine tools. There are a lot of dealers in the country. That is not answering any of your questions, but it is a thought.

With regard to drill presses, the presence of certain features may complicate your ability to repair the machine. Specifically, if it is a variable speed drill press, and older model no longer manufactured, you may not be able to find repair parts, such a split pulleys. Also, if the machine has a power feed, and that feature is not working, you may not be able to find parts. Having said that, it is also common for a manufacturer's maintenance department to have worn parts reproduced, as per sample, meaning.... having a machine shop make a new one.

I like the idea of owning and enjoying an old machine tool, rather than buying some cheesy looking piece that was made in china and shipped here in a thin bamboo/plywood box. All that flies in the face of the old truck I am repairing, only ten feet away....

Perhaps Frank Irons will comment here, too.... he is a tool and die maker with a lot of seniority.
    Power Wagon Advertiser monthly magazine, editor & publisher.

Why is it that the inside of old truck cabs smell so good?

Comment

I couldn't agree with you more, Gordon. I have no desire to support the Chinese Communist regime, or to help them force 'political' prisoners and women and children into Dicken's sweatshops.

I just had to dump a beautiful Rockwell drillpress, an industrial tabletop type, because the quill shaft and sliding pulley were unavailable. I don't have the foundry built yet so couldn't recast, and it would have been a toughie to cast up anyway. So, another old machine treasure goes for scrap!

Also hoping someone will post links for possible parts sources.....
      JimmieD

Comment

Unfortunately there aren't many machine tool manufacturers left in the USA and older machinery can be a restoration project all by itself. Best bet is to find equipment at auction and avoid the used machine tool dealer. The dealer will usually clean and paint the machine, make sure it works and mark it up for resale. If it sits in the warehouse long enough and doesn't sell you can get a better deal. Smaller pieces of equipment usally sell well because people like us want them for their hobbies. Single phase machines are easier to sell to hobbyists than 3 phase. Parts can be made to repair machines but unless you can machine them yourself you may pay more for the machining than you did for the machine. Your Rockwell can be repaired but will probably not be worth the cost. I would look for a turret type vertical milling machine(like a Bridgeport) to do your drilling and milling.
        I have two 3 phase machines, an ExCello mill and a Clausing Colchester lathe that I run off static phase converters. These tools have been able to support all my Power Wagon projects, and have paid for themselves with small machining jobs on the side. I you have the space and the means to move them, larger machines are better bargains, however power requirements and tooling are more expensive. One site for used machinery is www.buyused.com.

Frank

Comment

Casting Parts

Originally posted by JimmieD
          I couldn't agree with you more, Gordon. I have no desire to support the Chinese Communist regime, or to help them force 'political' prisoners and women and children into Dicken's sweatshops.

I just had to dump a beautiful Rockwell drillpress, an industrial tabletop type, because the quill shaft and sliding pulley were unavailable. I don't have the foundry built yet so couldn't recast, and it would have been a toughie to cast up anyway. So, another old machine treasure goes for scrap!

Also hoping someone will post links for possible parts sources.....
          JimmieD
          Valor Blazer, Director of sales. www.mft-usa.com. They can make it for you if you will send a pattern. The best I've dealt with.

Comment

Used machine shop equipment

Some of the most serviceable I've seen is government surplus. Of course there is junk there too, but a lot of it has seen little use, would last a part timer the rest of his life.
            www.govliquidation.com

Comment

Frank, do you have any feel for current prices on vertical milling machines? I admit to being unfamiliar with sizes/models in the Bridgeport line. Could you offer some comment there? How important do you feel it is to have a digital readout?

What are your thoughts on jig borers? I once had a guy tell me they would be a good thing to get, as an alternative to a drill press. What are your feelings on that?

Comment

Geat advice fellas, and thanks for the links!

I want a Bridgeport milling machine, but that would be down the road and only if the enterprise is successful. A good drill press and maybe a lathe will do a lot for me, and the bigger stuff will hopefully come later?

I am planning now as I may have a bit of income showing up in the not too distant, I hope!

Thanks again.
                JimmieD

Comment

JimmieD!

I wish I had known about that drill press. I have a friend down here, who has referbished a lot of my "antique" Rockwell tools. He has a knack for finding the parts on-line and from suppliers that he has dealt with over the years. He made my variable speed Rockwell press run like new and took a hunk of junk bandsaw and turned it back into a $1,600 beauty for about $300.
                  Next time drop me an email! before you toss. ha!ha! Also check "Reliable Tools" on e-bay they have quills and many other misc. parts that go for pretty fair prices.
                  MN

Comment

Hey, Norm, I'll do that on the e-mail.

Don't misunderstand, that poor old thing had been rode hard for many a year, so it needed lots of work, like motor, controls, quill, pulleys, turn support shaft etc. If I could do it all myself it would have been worth it, but under the circumstances it just had to go. Plus I'm an inveterate pack rat: so when I finally toss something it is asuredly very tossable....
                    JimmieD

Comment

Originally posted by Gordon Maney
                      Frank, do you have any feel for current prices on vertical milling machines? I admit to being unfamiliar with sizes/models in the Bridgeport line. Could you offer some comment there? How important do you feel it is to have a digital readout?

What are your thoughts on jig borers? I once had a guy tell me they would be a good thing to get, as an alternative to a drill press. What are your feelings on that?
                      Gordon,

Prices for Bridgeports run between 500 to 3000 dollars. Older round rams are the cheapest then come the step pulley models and then the variable speed model. Of course condition, options, and age also affect the price. The shop I work at recently sold a 1986 varidrive machine with a 2 axis Anilam CNC control for 1900.
                      A readout is nice but not necessary. Some of the older readouts aren't made anymore and parts could be an issue. I have Travadials on my machine which are an analog display. Jig bores are very accurate and rigid machines and would make a good heavy duty drill press but probably more awkward to use for general drilling .

Frank

PS: I saw the pictures of your ball joint repair and it appears that you need to a little work on your undercarriage. You need to get under there and clean and paint that chassis and axle, it's filthy.

Comment

Originally posted by Frank Irons
                        I saw the pictures of your ball joint repair and it appears that you need to a little work on your undercarriage. You need to get under there and clean and paint that chassis and axle, it's filthy.

Be nice, Frank.... hahahahaha I almost upset my Pepsi.

Comment

Working...
                        X