Florescent lights for shop use...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cool!
    It doesn't look that big in the photos! (that may be the same problem I have with photo dating services...uh never mind! ha!ha!)
    Thanks for the info!
    MN

Comment

I just found this site and specifically, this post - really hits home. I have a 40' X 54' garage with a 14' ceiling. I have 2 rows - 4', 2-tube flourscents. Its not enough light!!! Thanks to this thread, I'll be looking into the HID lights. Do they require any special (heat resistant) box or anything?

Thanks,
      Chuck

Comment

Nothing special is needed, except to give proper clearance for the lights. They come with various types of lens, etc. for different types of applications.
        MN

Comment

How 'bout reflectors ?? needed?

Thanks,
          49T&C

66 Townie
          74 Duster
          72 scamp
          49 T&C

Comment

The reflectors are not required, but they certainly help focus the light where it can be most used. The 14' ceiling is not that high where reflectors would really be required. Normally you'd use them at 20' or higher. Go to the W.W. Grainger site to get an idea of the options. Not the most inexpensive source but they have good general data with the lighting specs. Then also visit the GE web site and Lithonia. All will give you a better overview of the types and uses.
            MN

Comment

Thanks...

EXACTLY what I needed,

Comment

Resurrecting a thread....

This is resurrecting a very old thread, but I still consider the question. Please read post 1, and then see if you have a thought.

I am considering buying some new light fixtures and remain unimpressed with today's cheap fluorescent fixtures.

Discuss.
                Power Wagon Advertiser monthly magazine, editor & publisher.

Why is it that the inside of old truck cabs smell so good?

Comment

If I may I'll put in my two cents. We've had 200W bulbs in our shop since 1978. Several were burned out as usual and with the old bulbs reaching extinction soon I went with CFL's. I have been leery of using them but after installing the equivilent to the old bulbs at 67 watts I am satisfied with the out put. I know this doesn't help you with your tube type but these put out a brighter light than the old bulbs. I do have twin tube fixtures under my loft which were recycled from a remodel job. I don't know how many of the CFL's would do the same as the tube type but with the hassle of disposing of the tubes I would like to find out. I will be replacing my other old bulbs as they fail with CFL's . They are $15 a piece but are supposed to give 10,000 hours of life. Also with the CFL bulbs you don't have to worry about ballists going bad in the tube type fixtures. You may want to try an electrical contractor to see if they have old more rugged fixtures they have taken down that still work.

Comment

Shop Lighting

Originally posted by Gordon Maney View Post
                    This is resurrecting a very old thread, but I still consider the question. Please read post 1, and then see if you have a thought.

I am considering buying some new light fixtures and remain unimpressed with today's cheap fluorescent fixtures.

Discuss.
                    Gordon: At the risk of sounding like a know-it-all, I'd be glad to talk to you about lighting. I am a professional engineer specializing in lighting...in fact I have worked as the lighting consultant to Duke Energy who, over the past three years, has replaced most of the lighting systems in the Cummins manufacturing facilities in Central Indiana. (the same Cummins who makes the engines for the Dodge Ram pickups). I can have the discussion off-line if you like or we can do a forum topic on it if you think it is appropriate. Based on what I have seen here and in discussions with other "car/truck" people, a lot of guys might be interested in hearing about the latest innovations in industrial lighting, what and where to purchase and how and when to apply them.

Comment

I Am

Originally posted by 75Crew View Post
                      Gordon: At the risk of sounding like a know-it-all, I'd be glad to talk to you about lighting. I am a professional engineer specializing in lighting...in fact I have worked as the lighting consultant to Duke Energy who, over the past three years, has replaced most of the lighting systems in the Cummings manufacturing facilities in Central Indiana. (the same Cummings who makes the engines for the Dodge Ram pickups). I can have the discussion off-line if you like or we can do a forum topic on it if you think it is appropriate. Based on what I have seen here and in discussions with other "car/truck" people, a lot of guys might be interested in hearing about the latest innovations in industrial lighting, what and where to purchase and how and when to apply them.
                      Interested, w/o a doubt!

Comment

Lighting

The garage I use right now is 20x20x10. I use halogens for the bench and cold weather flourescents up above. They don't start out too bright in the cold, but they warm up quick enough. Just two fixtures; two bulbs apiece. This setup works fine for what I do out there, but if (when) I get a larger shop, I will look into HID's.
                        There's a chart here:

http://www.engineeringtoolbox.com/li...oms-d_708.html

That lists various activities and recommended light levels. Finding a light meter is the best bet. Good thing there's a smart phone meter app.

I have been in a shop with flourescent lights mounted vertically on the walls, too. There were no shadows in there!

Comment

Originally posted by Ron in Indiana View Post
                          If I may I'll put in my two cents. We've had 200W bulbs in our shop since 1978. Several were burned out as usual and with the old bulbs reaching extinction soon I went with CFL's. I have been leery of using them but after installing the equivalent to the old bulbs at 67 watts I am satisfied with the out put. I know this doesn't help you with your tube type but these put out a brighter light than the old bulbs. I do have twin tube fixtures under my loft which were recycled from a remodel job. I don't know how many of the CFL's would do the same as the tube type but with the hassle of disposing of the tubes I would like to find out. I will be replacing my other old bulbs as they fail with CFL's . They are $15 a piece but are supposed to give 10,000 hours of life. Also with the CFL bulbs you don't have to worry about ballists going bad in the tube type fixtures. You may want to try an electrical contractor to see if they have old more rugged fixtures they have taken down that still work.
                          A couple of comments.
                          In one of my shops, I replaced the 2700 K cool white fluorescents with 6500 K "daylight" tubes. The difference was dramatic.
                          CFL's are primarily made in china. I have found them to be cheaply made and not giving much more than 500 to 1,000 hours of operation. I've had several fail with a terrible stench, indicating that I was exposed to the mercury vapor within.
                          I have found a few outlets still selling 200 Watt incandescents, so I'm stocking up.
                          My professional opinion is that 67 watts is 67 % of 100 watts and the lumins and Kelvin rating produced by a light is the real way to tell how bright it is.
                          So far I've been most impressed with the T-12 6500 K lamps and the T-8 and T-5 lamps, while brighter, have not produced the promised savings, because a 20 watt T-5 requires nearly twice the number of lamps to produce the same light as one 40 watt T-12.

To answer Gordon's original question, yes, there are commercial grade lighting fixtures, that cost appreciably more than the lights sold at box stores, like Depot and Lowe's. For residential use, it's questionable that the cost would be recouped.

For the lighting engineer, please post your comments here, NOT in a PM to Gordon. The purpose of a forum is to exchange knowledge, not keep it a secret. ;)

Comment

Originally posted by 75Crew View Post
                            Gordon: At the risk of sounding like a know-it-all, I'd be glad to talk to you about lighting. I am a professional engineer specializing in lighting...in fact I have worked as the lighting consultant to Duke Energy who, over the past three years, has replaced most of the lighting systems in the Cummins manufacturing facilities in Central Indiana. (the same Cummins who makes the engines for the Dodge Ram pickups). I can have the discussion off-line if you like or we can do a forum topic on it if you think it is appropriate. Based on what I have seen here and in discussions with other "car/truck" people, a lot of guys might be interested in hearing about the latest innovations in industrial lighting, what and where to purchase and how and when to apply them.
                            That could be a great article for the magazine! Shop lighting. Seriously.

Comment

Lots of good comments here. Like MoparNorm says, the purpose of a forum is to learn from everyone's experiences. I will work on a lighting article as Gordon has suggested and submit it soon for publication. That way, everyone can benefit from it, not just those who happen to find the thread in the forums. I will also reply to this thread soon, with a quick lighting summary, so that anyone who is looking to upgrade their shop lighting soon will have some additional information to consider when making a decision without having to wait for the magazine to come out. Thanks for the interest!

Comment

Wonderful! I look forward to receiving your article, thank you.

Comment

Working...
                                X