Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Bench for fueling and changing chains on chainsaws...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bench for fueling and changing chains on chainsaws...

I decided I wanted a bench that I could put outside my shop in the summer, so I could put my chainsaws on it for fueling and chain replacement. Occasionally I would like to repair something outside, too.

So, I considered dimensions and materials, and also the idea that a guy would like to be able to use it for something else someday, if he wanted to....

I found a top, it is a piece of steel plate that is 72 inches long, 41 inches wide, and 5/8 inch thick. I think it will make a nice place to set my chainsaws.

I just need to figure out how to waterproof a vise, or make a cover for it.
    Power Wagon Advertiser monthly magazine, editor & publisher.

Why is it that the inside of old truck cabs smell so good?

Sept PWA

Just got my PWA yesterday.
    Loved your Sitting on the Tailgate article this month about your new workbench. Man, that is some top!
    Please keep us updated as to your progress, sounds like a real neat project.

Comment

Gordon,

I haven't seen your bench but a neat addition is to install a couple of pieces of angle iron on two corners on hinges so they can be swung up and locked, making a square inside edge on one corner. Helps in fabricating and keeping small parts on the table. When not in use, just swing them down and out of the way. Any size works but 2x2x1/4" is a good size.

H

Comment

By hinge, you are meaning an industrial grade, heavy duty piano hinge?

Comment

Gordon, I may have to make a drive out your way to see that bench! You must have needed your crane to put the top in place. Any pictures you have of it would be great.

Comment

No pictures of it yet. But at some point there will be....

Comment

that will be some bench when finished

You will have to rig up a small motor to move it . Anyone ever see a self propelled work bench? I got a buddy who built quite a bench with big wheels, legs + frame are made out of old truck drive axles very thick flat plate for top + a Monster Wilton Vise. It takes much effort to manuver it around his shop.

Comment

A bench like you describe would be really good outdoors, too.

I want one of those big, enclosed screw Wilton vises. I have two small Wiltons that I picked up used, but the big ones are incredibly expensive.

Comment

The right Vise

Yes a good Vise is big bucks. I have never bought a brand new one. I have a mid sized lower grade Wilton on one of my benchs that a friend gave me around 20 years ago that the swivel mount broke so I drilled it + mounted it with 3/8 bolts on each side of the base direct to a bench built by a buddy of mine out of oiled Tamerack wood. I also have a older Craftsman mid sized Vise on another bench that has followed me around from place to place that I built myself many years ago out of hardwood 2x4s that came from some pallets I took apart.I have 5/8 plywood for the deck . A few years back I bought a very well made small Vise with original grey paint Athol brand + I have that mounted on a small bench that I do Carburator work on.I stand a drift pin in the jaws to secure a carb base with a nice brite 300 watt clear lite bulb illuminating my work area. For big work I have a very old Charles Parker brand Vise from Meriden Conn mounted to a old air brake drum that came off the front of a old Fire Truck that I can move around the shop by sliding on the floor or movin on a hand truck to what I am workin on.Just the right height when I am sitting on my old stool or kneeling on my cushion working on my old + new Iron

Comment

Working...
                  X