Floor model drill presses

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Floor model drill presses

If you were going to buy a floor model drill press today, what would you buy?
    Power Wagon Advertiser monthly magazine, editor & publisher.

Why is it that the inside of old truck cabs smell so good?

Dayton makes a decent model (WW Grainger) but a lot will depend on how much use you anticipate and what size holes. I have the luxury of a vertical mill for big stuff so I use my 20 yr old Sears DP for wood and light metal work. I would not buy a Harbor Freight or the real cheap Chinese stuff because they are typically very rough. If you have the money, a JET model is a great buy and don't neglect some of the local high school or vocational auctions because they occasionally have very high quality DP's with low use that may be missing only a few parts.

Comment

Gordon,
      I wouldn't waste my money on anything imported, no matter how much you might "save". ( how much has our economy lost in wages/jobs/workmanship due to "bargains" from overseas?)

You can't go wrong with a old Rockwell variable speed drill press, such as pictured here.
      http://photos.imageevent.com/moparno...ll%20press.jpg

An occasional good value find can be made at wholesale liquidators ( precisely because of those overseas 'bargain')
      MN

Comment

Hard to beat a Powermatic.

Comment

The only way to fly is a geared head drill press, direct feed, no belts. You will have lots of power and can tap. Expensive , but the best. No, I don't have one, I use my milling machine to do this work.

Frank

Comment

Frank, I had a machinist at work suggest that a vertical milling machine would be better than a heavy duty drill press. How do you feel about that?

Who, in your experience, manufactures a gear drive drill press?
            Power Wagon Advertiser monthly magazine, editor & publisher.

Why is it that the inside of old truck cabs smell so good?

Comment

Gordon,
              Willis Solberga (Sweden) is the model that comes to mind. I have done lots of work on those machines. In 1985 they were going for 2200 dollars for a 20" model. The mill is more usefull in the fact that you can drill and mill with it. I use an ExCello 602 for my projects. It is a Canadian built turret mill (how about that Marty) , it is bigger than a Bridgeport and has more quill travel.

Frank

Comment

Working...
              X