Brake Line Tool

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Brake Line Tool

It is time to make up brake lines for the M37 & M715. Who has the best tool out there?
    Thanks,
    James G.

Tubing benders exist in several types. One involves a semi-circular piece of plastic that has grooves in it corresponding to different diameters of tubing. A forcing screw presses this platic piece toward a pair of rollers. The tubing is forced to wrap around the semi-circular piece. It works nicely, but is somewhat limited in what it can do.

The other type of tool is made by Imperial Eastman [and perhaps other manufacturers]. It would remind you of a conduit bender. Go to www.imperialeastman.com

I have all kinds. The type of tool offered by Imperial Eastman is capable of the most intricate bends, but requires some practice.
    Power Wagon Advertiser monthly magazine, editor & publisher.

Why is it that the inside of old truck cabs smell so good?

Comment

Bending is only half the battle...you still need a double-flare tool.
      Check with Snap-On or Blue Point.
      1949 B-1 PW (Gus)
      1955 C-3 PW (Woodrow)
      2001 Dodge 2500 (Dish...formerly Maney's Mopar)
      1978 Suzuki GS1000EC (fulfills the need...the need for speed)
      1954 Ford 860 tractor
      1966 Chrysler LS 16 sailboat (as yet un-named)
      UVA UVAM VIVENDO VARIA FITS

Comment

Dave,

which flaring tool do you recommend? Snap-on or Blue Point?
        And..if it's Blue Point, where is a good source for them?
        MN

Comment

We have the Snap-On kit in the shop. I'm not sure, but for some reason I think that Blue Point is somehow connected with Snap-On... sort of like (forgive me) Chevy and GMC. I could be wrong, but I seem to remember something to that effect. Anyway, when you get up into that price bracket, it's all good...I think...

We have several tubing benders, but I always seem to reach for the Blue Point. I once used it, er, inappropriatly and broke one of the handles. The handle was replaced, no charge, no questions asked. Come to think of it, I may have gotten the replacement handle from Snap-On.
          1949 B-1 PW (Gus)
          1955 C-3 PW (Woodrow)
          1954 Ford 860 tractor

Comment

Thanks!

I'll check the Snap-On truck the next time it comes by.
            MN

Comment

I did a little more research, but this is not from the Snap-On man so it may not be true.

I was told that Blue-Point is the name used on product made for Snap-On. Snap-On labeled tools are supposedly made by Snap-On.

I got to looking in our tube bending/flare tool drawer and found that everything in there is Blue-Point, with the exception of one Snap-On flare tool kit. It's all good stuff.

If you are shopping, be sure the kit you choose is for making double-flare ends. It will have additional dies that allow you to make the extra heavy lip that is required for brake and fuel lines, not just a single flare found on natural and LP gas lines.

DAB
              1949 B-1 PW (Gus)
              1955 C-3 PW (Woodrow)
              1954 Ford 860 tractor

Comment

Blue Point is a Snap-On line name. With respect to equipment, such as brake lathes, for example, Snap-On does not make those, they are simply branded Snap-On. I can't guess if all hand tools that say Snap-On are made by them or not, but I am guessing that there are some Snap-On branded tools that they do not make.

One day they will outsource [$$$$] to China, too, I suspect, unless they already are doing that. Grrrrrr.
                Power Wagon Advertiser monthly magazine, editor & publisher.

Why is it that the inside of old truck cabs smell so good?

Comment

Morning Gordon,

I have read a few post this morning on "other" forums, about the cost difference being so huge that even "Buy American" folks are switching to the chinese junk. Makes me wonder what the true costs really are? Once china is done dumping these poor quality cheap parts on America and all of our manufacturers are out of business, what will the price be then? We all can't work at Taco Bell or MacDonalds, so what is the true cost of these bargins? Are we selling our future for short term monetary gains? I think the answer is not good for the future of this country. At the point where china is manufacturing parts for our military (and they already have some joint ventures) where will they stop? At Taiwan ? At Japan? At Hawaii?
                  Think I'll go back into the garage and put on Benny Goodman.....
                  MN

Comment

Got a KD Flaring Tool

All:
                    Thanks for all the info. I purchased a KD tool made in Fayetteville Arkansas, a plant I once worked in, now I just need to find out how to work it!
                    Thanks again,
                    James G.

Comment

Working...
                    X