IR Type 30 air pump

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• IR Type 30 air pump

I just picked up a Ingersoll Rand Model 234 2-stage air pump. It seems to be in good shape (crank turns smoothly and cylinder bores not too worn). The last owner took it apart and loosely assembled it. He never ran it although the original owner used it for bodywork. The IR website does not have a manual for it (just the pumps currently manuf.) but does give torque specs for similar pumps. Does anyone know a manual source or a picture of the air line routing - the lines that came w/ it seem to be for another pump? Thanks.
    -Drew M.

Try phoning Ingersoll Rand, ask for technical service, tell them you are repairing a compressor of theirs and you have a question. IF you can get a human being, very often you can get to a technical person who will help you. It is worth a try.
    Power Wagon Advertiser monthly magazine, editor & publisher.

Why is it that the inside of old truck cabs smell so good?

Comment

IR tech support . . .

Good suggestion Gordon. IR references you to a local dealer/service center - which are amazingly helpful. However, no luck with a manual yet. Enjoying the 4.89's? I'm still looking. ;)
      -Drew M.
      Last edited by Drew M.; 06-28-2005, 07:20 AM.

Comment

Found a helpful IR dealer - PA

Sales Rep. Mary is very helpful (Taylor Air Center 1-800-322-9038) - she sent me a "Repair Parts Book" dated 1955 showing obslete part numbers and exploded diagrams. It will help putting it all back together. I discovered the crank shaft is bent just at the flywheel end, which explains the large chip missing form the flywheel. The shaft is 0.985" and ~10" long pressed into the crank counterweight. It seems like I could just press out the old shaft and press in a replacement shaft after cutting in a keyway for the flywheel and turning the seal end down slightly.

Anyone try this? Replacing the crank with a new IR replacement puts this unit out of the price range for a rebuild.

Comment

Crank fixed . . .

Local machine shop press straightened out the crank - $78. Not bad:)

Comment

did you ever get a manual for that pump, I need to know the rated cfm, psi, etc for it.

Comment

Model 234 pump

Yes, I have a manual. Unfortunately, it doe snot list the spec's - so i called the IR dealer. The CFM is based upon the hp of the motor. The higher the hp, the greater the rpm when running and the greater the cfm. My industrial 3hp motor (1750 rpm, 17 amps at 220volts) should spin the pump at 1015 rpm for ~10cfm at 175PSI.

It is only rated at 175 psi as a 2 stage pump. I hope this helps.

Comment

I've worked on many of these old IR's over the years and replaced a few with rotary also. Most all compressors of this size use 3 phase motors and the motors usually turn 1800 rpm. Compressor speed depends on the shive size you are using. If my memory is correct the "30" indicates 30 cfm capacity.

Comment

CFM . . .

Trust me, the Model 234 is not 30cfm. It works fine with a industrial 3hp motor - but I wish it pumped a little more air for media blasting. I'm I was to do it all over, I would buy an Eaton Pump - 5hp range (25amp/220volt) at 15cfm at 175psi.

Comment

Correct....

...generally you have to get into the 8-10 horsepower range to get 25-30 CFM's The most efficient compressor I ever saw was an old Dayton that put out 12.5 CFM with a 2 hp motor.
                    MN

Comment

Working...
                    X