Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Propane Adapter?

Gentlemen,

I am looking for an adapter for the older style propane tanks that had internal threads only!

I need an adapter that will allow the use of new style equipment that needs threads on the outside of the valve.

I have a number of older tanks, but can't use them with the new fittings!

Does anyone know of such an adapter?

How do you plan on getting these older tanks refilled? I don't believe any reputable propane tank place will fill any of the old style tanks anymore after the mandate to the new style tank.

just wondering.

Pieter

Comment

No Refill

pieter,

I am not worried about refilling them at this point, I just want to be able to use the propane that is in them!

It would be a shame to waste all the propane that's in them now, about 80 lbs!

Comment

Try a welding supply place. They often keep a supply of various adaptors and may have or be able to make one.

Comment

The special valve is only required on small tanks. All of the larger tanks are still allowed to use the old style valve so any propane place can fix you up with the fitting. The ones for larger tanks are identical. If after searching around you still can't get one post again and I probably have one here.

Comment

And if that doesn't work...

...any camping store (a real store, like Ace Hardware) should have the Coleman propane fittings to convert the threads.
            MN

Comment

The adapters that Norm mentions are about $15-$20 at the hardware.

I have found that there are lots of people discarding their old gas barbeque grills. It just so happens that many of these have that external thread fitting for POL valves. Around here the county dump has a scrap pile where you can scrounge through for all kinds of marvelous old junk, metal, fittings etc. and these barbecues are tossed out almost daily. You might look into such sources around you. It takes 2 minutes with a tubing cutter or wrench to remove the fuel line.

JimmieD

Comment

Adapter?

Gentlemen,

Thanks for the advice! I went to the Coleman website and ordered what looks like the right adapter. I tried finding it locally but nobody seemed to have one!

Comment

Don't tell Ugg...

...that my drivel was useful...ha!ha!
                  Glad it worked for you!
                  MN

Comment

Working...
                  X