Lasers for level, plumb, and shooting lines

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lasers for level, plumb, and shooting lines

I see all of the many lasers sold today, with apparently various features. For years I have used plumb bobs, tight strings, and line levels. Yet I imagine there are advantages to the lasers.

What experience have you had with them in their various forms, what features do you feel are quite useful, and what models to you think are good?

Discuss....
    Power Wagon Advertiser monthly magazine, editor & publisher.

Why is it that the inside of old truck cabs smell so good?

We have been using lasers.....

...in our construction company for at least 20 years. Until recently, I wouldn't give a nickle for the cheap little toys sold at "Home-owner" Big Box stores. However recent improvements in some brands, such as the Stanley Line, have made home owner useage a tad more accurate.
    The advantages are that, in high end applications, such as we use in the trade, the laser quality is exceptional at 1/16" +/- accuratecy in 200'. Laser transits are easily used by one man instead of a two or three man crew. (when the target is set in the audible tone range)
    A laser can be used in lieu of string lines in windy conditions. We have used lasers to set ceiling grid and other applications where a perfectly level surface is required.
    In grading and concrete placement, lasers are used in conjunction with motor servo's and the grading machine or concrete screed can automaticly level the slab, road surface or building pad.
    In homeowner useage, you can square corners, plumb doors and windows, hang pictures, install shelves etc. all hands free.
    Look for products made by companies that have traditionally been in the level and plumb field before, such as known brand level manufacturing companies. Look for products made in the USA, Israel, Germany, Switzerland and Japan, they are very good at this. Avoid at all cost products made in China, India and other low cost, low production quality countries. These are precision quality instruments if made by the right manufacturers, colorful plastic junk if you look for a "bargain".
    Avoid gimics, "flashy" doo-dads and other options that are advertised as "three uses in one function" etc., etc., they usually do all three poorly.
    Read the product information carefully BEFORE you buy. Most "homeowner" lines under $200 have an accuratecy of less than 1/4" in 50'. If that is all you require, you can find a good unit under $100, if you need better accuratecy then you will have to spend the difference to get it. Laser power is regulated to prevent eye damage, indoors a weak but accurate laser is fine, if you need to shoot outdoors a cheap laser will be invisible. If you want an outdoor laser that you can see for 400 feet, expect to pay over $1,500 for it. If you just want to plumb, level and square, Stanely and Dewalt both make acceptable units for under $155, in the 1/4" in 50' range.

MN

Comment

We use a Dewalt to set cabinets with, it's a huge time saver, esp. when putting in an entire room of cabinets. Helps when the house is out of square (most houses, new or old, are out of plumb). We also use the laser for bathroom remodels when tiling, another time saver.

I do have a little cheap one that I use occasionally, but it's not for precision work, but for estimating things.

A water level is much more cheap, and more accurate to boot. Only problem is using one by yourself. It can be done, but is a hassle.

Comment

Originally posted by MN
        indoors a weak but accurate laser is fine, if you need to shoot outdoors a cheap laser will be invisible.
        Now I can attest to that. A few years back I tried my little cheapo craftsman laser level outside on a project and found it usless. But hey, it works great for hanging pictures indoors. Of course it has several other usages inside the house and has come in mighty handy.

I'll admit that I could really use a pro model when the time comes to put in my new fence, but I will most likely stick with the old line or water level. Since the terrain here is flat (no hills, unless it's a fireant hill) the laser would be great. Hmmm, maybe I will check into renting a really good one for that project.

Comment

Fireant hill.....

...that was funny!
          MN

Comment

Working...
          X