Awaiting More Bids for my Workshop

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Awaiting More Bids for my Workshop

Early this week I sent out info to 4 bidders for an estimate on erecting my workshop, which is a 40' x 60' x 12' steel building. I also ask for the numbers on a foundation to be included. So far, I have only received 1 estimate back. Let's just say that I was basically shocked when I heard the numbers qouted me from this first guy. Foundation cost was estimated at $6/sf. This does include building the ground area up about 6 to 9" and the foundation has no mesh, it's all rebar. From what the guy was telling me ... he knows his stuff and will provide an excellant foundation. Only thing is, that number was a few more grand on what I thought it would be.

Next he gives me the cost of erecting the building, which is 3.68/sf. He explains to me that with the 3:12 roof pitch, insulation, windows, skylights, gutters, downspouts, etc. all merit the cost. This guy has been erecting these buildings for 32 years and comes highly recommend. So what do I know ... I'm still learning. I'd do it myself, but I just don't have the time or the experience.

If you add it all up, I'm looking roughly at about $20/sf for foundation, erection and building and I assume that may be inline with todays market. However this does not include the electrical, the plumbing nor the paving to get to the building. I can't wait for the electrical estimates to come in. But at least I can do alot of the electrical installation myself, so that will help keep the cost down in that area.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not griping or complaining ... I just didn't realize it would cost that much. But, for a quality job this guy may be right on. I still have 3 other estimates yet to see and wonder how close they will be to this first one.

For those of you that have had similar work done or just experienced in this field, do these numbers seem to be inline..?

Building a shop

I am in the middle of building my shop as well. Its 36'x48x16' high with a 16' messenine across the back for my wood shop.
    So far I've spent 30,000.00 CDN witch brings me to lock up. This includes 6 4'x4' windows, 1 12' x 12' garage door, 2 man doors, and all the convrete work.

Comment

Jake ... if I understand you correctly, you're saying that for that amount of money you got the foundation poured, the building itself and the building erected with all of the doors and windows. So, is it that you only have the electrical work to do, other than finish out the interior..? Did you erect the building yourself..?

If you've done all that with only those dollars, then I would say you've gotten a darn good deal. Being in Canada, your foundation footings would have to be a heck of alot deeper than here in SE Texas. Not to mention the R rating of the insulation required for your area.

Just curious, who is the manufacturer of your building..? 30,000 CDN is about 26,000 USD. Now thats a great deal.

Keep us posted of your progress and post some pics if you can.

Comment

The shop was built by a local contractor that used to work for us and is now on his own building houses or shops. He is getting a good reputation for doing good work and being very reasonable with his prices.
        Since we live on five acres of mountainside we had to move about 200 loads of dirt just make room for the shop and the flat space in front of and behind the shop.
        My Father in law is a retired electrician so He is taking care of the wiring for me at the end of this month. We are also prewiring for security, phones, internet, theater sound and big screen projector. Then we can get the insulation and drywall up.
        This summer we are planning to finish the outside with stucco to match the house.
        I will downsize a few pics this weekend to fit into the forum.

Comment

Don't know what the new one in IL will cost me, but the one I built here, 16' x 22' x 10 High with a large insulated door and man door cost me $8,000 for everything including permits. That is $22.73 sq. ft. However there was no power insulation or interior walls or ceiling. Metal siding and shingle roof.
          I drive a DODGE, not a ram!

Thanks,
          Will
          WAWII.com

1946 WDX Power Wagon - "Missouri Mule"
          1953 M37 - "Frankenstein"
          1993 Jeep YJ - "Will Power"
          1984 Dodge Ramcharger - "2014 Ramcharger"
          2006 3500 DRW 4WD Mega Cab - "Power Wagon Hauler"

Comment

I guess my shop is sitting at 17.36 a sq. foot. I think I got a good deal by the sounds of it.
            I'll post some pics next week, or as soon as I figure out an easy way to downsize the files. I have about 100 pics so far.

Comment

Your concrete guy gave you a good bid. A 4 inch pour with wire is about $4/sqft these days. How thick is the pour and how deep are the footings? how much drain rock and does it include a moisture barrier? You need one in order to keep moisture from wicking through in the winter. I would make sure the slab drain to the center and out the door so you can hose it out.

Comment

This is what I REALLY do for a living...ha!ha!

Considering that I'm in SoCal and NOTHING gets built for less than $55 per foot (replacement costs are appraised at $300 per foot) all of those prices are great! My Cost is greater than those quotes, for all of those tasks mentioned.

MN

Comment

Originally posted by Sickcall
                  Your concrete guy gave you a good bid. A 4 inch pour with wire is about $4/sqft these days. How thick is the pour and how deep are the footings? how much drain rock and does it include a moisture barrier? You need one in order to keep moisture from wicking through in the winter. I would make sure the slab drain to the center and out the door so you can hose it out.
                  The slab is about 5" thick with a perimeter footing 24" deep. I can't remember the rebar size (will have to call him back on that), but I'm sure they're 8" oc. This also included a much thicker slab where the steel columns are to be erected, every 20 feet. Not sure of how much drain rock, but he does mention a 6" layer of sand and a 6 mil poly vapor barrier. I had not planned on having a floor drain.

Comment

125' x 50'

SE Arizona.

At first I was shocked that it was going to cost 2x what I figured. I was wrong; it was 3X.
                    Attached Files

Comment

If your good with numbers calculate the cost per cubic yard, $400 per is reasonable. That includes grading, rock, steel and mud.

Comment

Hey Bosco,
                        Here is a shot of my shop as we poured the walls. The shop is built into the hillside. Th shop measures at 36'x48'x16' tall.
                        Attached Files

Comment

Jake ... What a view, I'm jealous. Keep sending the pics.

Sickcall ... I calculated the cuyds with even a 4" slab and using your number the cost came up much higher than what I was quoted. I'm sure that the California cost are much higher than in Texas. I am still wainting on the other bids. Gonna have to call those guys tomorrow and see whats taking so long.

Comment

We bought this place 5 years ago and still love the view.
                            This shot shows the next stage where the 2x6 walls go up.
                            Attached Files

Comment

We used 36 yards of cement so far, cost on the concrete was $110 each CDN.
                              Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                              X