Floor jacks & jack stands

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Floor jacks & jack stands

I just got my old friend back home, my Blackhawk 4-ton floor jack. It is an assembly of castings, and it has a headlight [no longer working] and a key lock to prevent it from being lowered. It was made in the late 1940's, and is its own kind of art.

It had been away to the repair company. Parts are extremely hard to find for it, but the repair guy found a seal kit for it in another part of the country. He said he may not be able to find another one, but he felt the jack would last as long as I ever wanted it.

During the time when I was not sure if it would be repairable, I found myself once again looking at options. I am not comfortable with a lot of the stuff sold new today, though I admit that I may not know of all the possibilities.

I learn that an old Weaver is still great, as the Weaver jacks have not really changed, and all parts are available. They are a quality device, even if they are single speed pumps.

I have a 1-1/4 jack for light automotive work, but my favorite size for four decades has been the 4-ton, long chassis jack. I recently acquired a 10-ton Snap-On, air assist, which was made by Lincoln.

The hydraulics field has been changed by a number of bigger fish eating smaller fish, and then most ultimately buying off shore. The high end OTC stuff is good, parts are available, and it is spendy. Weaver is still made here, and if you like Power Wagons, you would like Weaver jacks. If you like Power Wagons, you would like a 10-ton jack, other than the gross dimension and weight of the thing.

So.... what are you using now, what would you buy now, what do you see as the solution? Don't forget jack stands, as we need them, too.

I am still using four that I made in high school welding class, and no, I won't post a picture of them. :-) I do consider designing some more, having the steel fabbed, and welding them together.

I have mixed feelings about the ratcheting stands. They have lots of increments, they are fast, and......... if you are not paying attention, they can unlock and fall. Maybe just one notch, maybe all the way. Ratcheting stands must be used in a certain, careful way, and rapped soundly with a pipe or hammer to verify that they are set. I like pins. More positive.

Discuss jacks and stands at length. We all need this stuff and it all needs high capacity and safety.
    Power Wagon Advertiser monthly magazine, editor & publisher.

Why is it that the inside of old truck cabs smell so good?

Gordon, I have a Napa 2 ton bumper air hoist that my Dad bought 35 +years ago when we were doing radiator repair work. It's still a good hoist but has difficulty lifting our newer 1 ton Dodge trucks and with the newer cars having nowhere to lift it's not prctical for those. I also have a 2 ton floor jack most likely made overseas but it does do it's job when called on. I have both pin type and ratcheting jack stands and as you stated they must be used with care. I use drive on ramps, not the cheap stamped ones, but real wood on occasion. My ultimate dream is to have a twin post vehicle hoist to be able to get anything including my 3500 in the air. I am fortunate to have the space for such a hoist but funding is another thing plus I think it would become a very popular item in the neighborhood. So for now it's a matter getting out the jack or hoist, placing the jackstands and rolling on a creeper. There's another subject, creepers, I thought I had a better one with 6 wheels but it still encounters problems under a truck. Has anyone found a decent creeper that rolls no matter what plus being moderately comfortable while working? The one I have does have an adjustable headrest which helps greatly.

Comment

The best creeper is the "Bone". It wil roll very nicely over gravel, hoses, 2" drop offs etc. Not cheap but worth it.
      MN

Comment

http://www.tools-r-us.biz/ntc/c/Cree...8_Me_19656.htm

Comment

Originally posted by MoparNorm
          The best creeper is the "Bone". It wil roll very nicely over gravel, hoses, 2" drop offs etc. Not cheap but worth it.
          MN
          What kind of wheels does it have to permit it to roll over gravel? How big are they?

Comment

One of the websites I checked made mention that the new and cheaper model of that creeper has 3" wheels, instead of the spendy one's 5" wheels, so that's apparently the answer to rolling resistance.

Comment

Yes, and they are composite wheels for smooth rolling.
              From an ad, "Rough Rider Creeper
              Heavy duty 5" diameter wheels. 1-3/8" wide floatation type tread doesn't sink into soft surfaces. 2-1/2" swivel bearing compared to 1-1/4" on conventional creepers. 1-3/4" ground clearance"
              MN

Comment

I am bringing this back to the top..... we need some more comment on jack stands.

What do you have? Do you consider building some?

These are possibly the best quality I have found by searching.

http://www.asedeals.com/jack_stands.html

I have had the ratcheting kind, and they have their virtues, but they require considerable attention to verify that they are securely locked in a notch.

You can see an example of that kind here:

http://www.asedeals.com/jackstands.html

Comment

A new form of deception..... I just discovered a vendor listing stands as 6 ton capacity, and further study of their literature revealed that the stands were 3 ton, listed as 6 tons [per pair].

Comment

Those are some good loking stands and they sound like top quality. I currently use the ratcheting type but use 3.5 ton in a 1/2 ton application. I have some home made ones almost finished that are made from ASTM boiler pipe, very heavy walled stuff!

One very strong caution for all regarding use of any jackstand:

NEVER ATTEMPT TO LEVEL A VEHICLE WITH JACKS AND JACKSTANDS!

Place it on level ground and THEN lift it, or don't try to lift it. Just because you have established a dead level frame line doesn't mean you've overcome gravitational force!!! In other words downhill is still down hill and any load will choose the path of least resistance, which in this case is downhill....

Comment

[/QUOTE]
                      You can see an example of that kind here:
                      http://www.asedeals.com/jackstands.html[/QUOTE]

Gordon,
                      I was going to buy the jack stands that are at the bottom of the page. They had a screw adjustment that would allow you to fine tune your heights.
                      I thought that would be nice if you are trying to level out a frame/truck on a concrete slab that might not be perfectly level. When I ordered them though, they said they were no longer being made. But then I got a call back that said they were just out of inventory for 2 months.

As far as jacks, I can't for the life of me seem to find anything decent that costs an arm and a leg. Many manufacturers like the Jack Stands seems to state the capacity of a Jack by jsut saying "3", but not knowing what exactly "3" means. Tons, Kilo's, lbs. Since many seem to be made outside of the US, you kind of have to take it with a grain of salt.

I have a 2ton floor jack from Sears. I like it and paid $110. I do not like the new jacks that will raise to load in one pump. They do not work putting in transmissions. Some would say buy a transmission jack but well I just don't have the $$$ or the space to store it. I do have to change out the seals for the second time on this jack. I have done it once before and it is about time for it's second. I've had this jack about 10 years so far.

I will send a picture of some jack stands that Roger King used when he put Rockwells under his Town Wagon... They are massive.

Comment

Let's see if this works...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/pmvliet/183748010/

These are some jack Stands and I'll use those words mildly that Roger Kings' son welded up for him when he did the Rockwell Conversion for his Town wagon. I believe they are about 6"x2"x1/8" tubing. Probably stand about 5'-0" tall...

Comment

Mechanical floor jack

This one belongs to Emery Bond of Evanston, Wyoming. Emery and his brothers owned the Studebaker dealership here from the early 50's until Studebaker closed down. I didn't get any info from this jack, but I probably can find the manufacturer and weight rating if anyone is interested.
                          Attached Files

Comment

Isn't that neat? Purely mechanical.

I had the opportunity to use a jack like that many years ago.

Comment

Some Jack!

Wow Russ, that is some jack, I remember a couple just like that, no pistons, just mechanical.

Comment

Working...
                              X