Interesting shop/garage alternative

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Interesting shop/garage alternative

I've been planning on building a shop for my vehicle tinkering for a bit. Being a carpenter I had spent quite a while designing a shop to fit the space I had available. I had decided on a 24'x24' footprint. Lot's of sketches and drawings ensued.
    Recently I was cleaning up in one of our storage rooms and I came across an old Country Journal from 1990. The cover story was about Shelter_Kit horse barns. I pulled the magazine because my wife is seriously thinking about getting horses again. On a whim I found the Shelter-Kit site and looked around. I found that their garage/shop kits were very similar to the design I was drawing up for myself.

http://www.shelter-kit.com/barn.html

I've seen a Shelter-Kit before, and was very impressed with the quality of the wood. Being a builder, I'm over-qualified to put one up, but with my kids help I figure I can do it right. For the price I don't think I could source out the lumber myself (at least with the same quality). Being a post and beam structure allows for much freedom in placement of windows, doors and uinterior walls.

For my taste it's a better alternative to a metal building as it would fit in better with the existing buildings on our property (our house was built in 1810 and was a stagecoach stop/hotel).

I thought some of you might find this company's product interesting.
    Last edited by BobbyMike; 05-06-2006, 11:07 AM.

Is this a 'pole barn' construction, or dimensional lumber throughout?

Comment

Originally posted by JimmieD
      Is this a 'pole barn' construction, or dimensional lumber throughout?
      Dimensional lumber. It's Post and Beam. All the lumber comes shipped in bundles of 100 lbs or less. Instead of mortise and tenon they designed brackets that bolt together. You really don't need to know too much to put one together, just how to follow directions.

Here's the FAQ for the barns:

What is included with a Barn kit?
      The kit includes all of the materials required to create a weather-tight shell on your foundation: hardware, fasteners, framing, sheathing, exterior doors and windows, loft floor, roofing, flashing, drip edge and trim. All materials are hand selected, carefully cut to precise dimensions, labeled, and packaged in easily identifiable bundles that two people can carry. A small amount of siding must be cut at the site. An illustrated Construction Manual describes each step, from the construction of a pier foundation to the installation of the roof, all in simple, easy-to-understand language.

What materials are used?
      A variety of materials are used to complete the shell; these are listed in the Barn Specifications page.

What kind of foundation is required?
      Because of the post and beam frame, a simple foundation of concrete piers can be used. This has a minimal impact on the site and usually does not require the use of heavy equipment. Hand tools can be used to dig holes and pour concrete piers. A 24'x24' Barn requires twelve piers. Barns can also be built over concrete walls to create basements (a first floor must be added to the kit). Barns can also be built with concrete floors. A pier plan or foundation plan is provided as part of the Construction Manual. See Barn Specifications.

How long will it take to assemble?
      A 24'x24' Barn can be assembled by two people in about two weeks. Some people take more time, some less. Many factors can affect the time required to assemble a kit, including the size of the kit, modifications, the number of people working, site conditions, and the weather.

Will a Barn meet building codes?
      Shelter-Kit Barns are designed in accordance with nation-wide model building codes for all locations within the United States except those with excessive wind or snow loads. See Barn Specifications for design loads and code compliance. Most towns require building permits. This should be ascertained by the owner before construction begins. If required by local officials, structural drawings bearing structural engineer's stamp are available. There is a modest fee for these drawings.

Can the roof or wind design loads be increased to meet extreme conditions?
      No. This would require a complete redesign of the building . It just isn't practical.

What is the lead time?
      This will vary from six weeks to six months, depending on the size of the kit and the time of year. Generally, late spring and early summer are the most popular times to build, and because we produce kits one at a time, our production schedule for these dates is usually filled early. Check the News page or contact us for specific information regarding lead time. See the Request Information page for our address and phone number.

Comment

Rest of the FAQ:

Are other floorplans available?
        The post and beam design of the Barn allows for a wide variety of floorplans. You can create your own floorplan to meet your needs or work from standard floorplans. Some examples are shown. Many others are possible. See Designing Your Barn for more information.

How much does a Barn cost?
        The size of the building and options chosen affect the price of Barn kits. See Barn Prices and Designing Your Barn for more information.

How is the kit shipped? What about unloading?
        The kit is shipped by truck. Smaller buildings with sites located in New England are shipped in a large straight truck. Larger buildings and those going to sites outside New England are shipped by tractor-trailer. Overseas shipments are by container. Generally, we use one of a few private carriers that we have worked with for many years. They guarantee competitive prices and the assurance of a safe, on-time delivery. In all cases, the kits are priced FOB (freight on board) Tilton, NH. This means that shipping costs are in addition to the price of the kit. An estimate of the shipping cost can be given on request. A firm shipping quote and date are provided when an order is placed. See Barn Prices. When the truck arrives at your site, you are responsible for unloading it. Four adults should be ready to unload the kit. We recommend that you prepare the site well in advance of delivery, with materials upon which to stack the kit and tarps to protect it during assembly. With a little preparation and a willingness to work, most kits can be unloaded and stacked in two hours. Since the truck is enclosed, a forklift can not be used for unloading.

Is financing available?
        Shelter-Kit does not offer financing for our kits. For pricing information see Barn Prices. For the payment schedule see How to Order.

I have lots of trees for lumber but don't feel comfortable designing a barn. Can I buy just the Construction Manuals or plans?
        No. Construction Manuals are only available as part of the kit. They describe in detail the assembly of the individual parts that have been manufactured for your specific building. Construction plans are not available.

Is there a Shelter-Kit crew available to assemble the kit?
        No. These kits are designed and the instructions are written for the amateur builder who wants to be involved in the design and construction of his or her own building. While some of the kits have been assembled by professionals, those arrangements have been made by our customers.

What is the difference between a Barn with a standard frame and one that has a kneewall?
        This is explained on the Barn kneewall comparison page.

I have read everything on your web site and have more questions. What do I do?
        Go to the Request Information page to find out how to ask us your question via email, fax, phone, mail.

Comment

Working...
        X