Home made powder coating gun

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Home made powder coating gun

I know several people have said powder coating is a good way to go when painting certain items on trucks. Saw this today and thought I'd post it for you all. If you try this, let us know!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/zapwiza...7594121542315/

Ha!Ha!
    Doesn't look too comfortable for 8 hours of coating, but version number two isn't too bad. Eastwood has a 'hobby' gun for $99 and the pro guns are in the $2,000 range so looks would give way to results!
    Thanks for the link!
    MN

Comment

No problem. I wasn't aware of the less expensive guns out there. I've never podwer coated anything, but I did recall an article several years ago in an off road magazine about finding an old oven to use in the process (I guess to cure the paint). I guess I should look into finding a tutorial online somewhere to walk me through it.

Comment

There are many links out there that tell you how to go threw this process. The main thing is to remember, the coating falls within this:

Material (clean, washed, free of debre)

Powder (using a good quality powder is a must)

Enviroment (at time of coating, need to ensure a dry dust free or the powder will not turn out good)

Heat (you have to cook this stuff right. if not it will look like crap. And heat needs to be even. some old stoves have uneven heat. that will make it also turn out bad)

If you follow these the powder coat will turn out fine. Have to remember this is electrically charged particals that are dusted onto a surface. Dryness is a must when you do this. This is why most body shops use their paint booth to powdercoat things. Ensures a dry, dust free eviroment for the applaction of the powder.

Not to support another forum, but if you goto Eastwood and look under shop talk they have a huge list of things that cover powdercoating. Might be a good place to start your search on how toos and what not to do.

Good luck

Comment

Thanks Hawk for the info. I think it's ok to give a recommendation for another site. I doubt very much that I could get better PW and M37 info there, and I know I can't get better company!

Comment

Working...
          X