Cordless Tool Update- DeWalt

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cordless Tool Update- DeWalt

For those of you with the need for big power but cordless flexibilty, DeWalt has just started selling a 36 volt line of tools. The 36 volt battery weighs the same as the 18 volt unit, but does not interchange (naturally!).
    Their promotion of these new tools lasts until August 31, or while supplies last.
    Longer run time, more torque, and higher rpms are the advertised benefits. Looks like I'll be taking a trip down to my supply house to check them out.
    MN

The July 2006 issue of Taunton's Fine Homebuilding has an article on the new Lithium-Ion cordless tools. Might be worth your time and money to peruse it before you jump into a new paradigm. Milwaukee (18v, 28v), Makita(18v), Metabo(12v, 14.4v, 18v), DeWalt (36v), Bosch (10.8v, 36v)), and Ridgid (24v) are all gearing up for the new battery systems. Metabo (and soon Milwaukee) sell retrofit batteries for their existing line of tools so that you can get the benefits of the newer technology without buying all new tools.

It's interesting to note that DeWalt is focusing all it's attention on the 36v line (also first to release a 7 1/4 cordless circular). All the other mentioned manufacturers are doing multiple voltages. Bosch is the only manufacturer that has released low voltage tools (10.8v ultra-compact drill/drivers that can fit into your pocket and drive 100 screws before recharging). Ridgid will be extending it's lifetime service guarantee to include it's new batteries (That's amazing!).

For those that are ignorant (just means you don't know) about the benefits of Li-ion batteries, I'll quickly post them.

Number one is shelf life. A li-ion battery will only lose about 2% of it's stored charge every month it's stored versus 25% for a nickel-based battery over the same amount of time. Won't matter for the guy that uses his tool daily, but a big plus for someone that infrequently needs a drill/driver, etc.

Second is consistent power output. Meaning no more dramatic dips in power as you get close to being discharged, so that you can effectively work longer between recharges.

Comment

Originally posted by BobbyMike
      The July 2006 issue of Taunton's Fine Homebuilding has an article on the new Lithium-Ion cordless tools. Might be worth your time and money to peruse it before you jump into a new paradigm. Milwaukee (18v, 28v), Makita(18v), Metabo(12v, 14.4v, 18v), DeWalt (36v), Bosch (10.8v, 36v)), and Ridgid (24v) are all gearing up for the new battery systems. Metabo (and soon Milwaukee) sell retrofit batteries for their existing line of tools so that you can get the benefits of the newer technology without buying all new tools.

It's interesting to note that DeWalt is focusing all it's attention on the 36v line (also first to release a 7 1/4 cordless circular). All the other mentioned manufacturers are doing multiple voltages. Bosch is the only manufacturer that has released low voltage tools (10.8v ultra-compact drill/drivers that can fit into your pocket and drive 100 screws before recharging). Ridgid will be extending it's lifetime service guarantee to include it's new batteries (That's amazing!).

For those that are ignorant (just means you don't know) about the benefits of Li-ion batteries, I'll quickly post them.

Number one is shelf life. A li-ion battery will only lose about 2% of it's stored charge every month it's stored versus 25% for a nickel-based battery over the same amount of time. Won't matter for the guy that uses his tool daily, but a big plus for someone that infrequently needs a drill/driver, etc.

Second is consistent power output. Meaning no more dramatic dips in power as you get close to being discharged, so that you can effectively work longer between recharges.
      I get that magazine, and it is a wonderful publication. I think I must have missed it and will look for that. Also, the Journal of Light Construction is really good, too.
      Power Wagon Advertiser monthly magazine, editor & publisher.

Why is it that the inside of old truck cabs smell so good?

Comment

Really a shame that in the greedily narrow minded focus of proprietary engineering each manufacturer insists on their own private battery design ensuring that folks will be extorted into buying the 'Factory Replacement' battery for the life of the tool. How much is the 'Factory Replacement'? As much as the manufaturer and distribution system can possibly squeeze out of you without sending you elesewhere.

Think of the sudden rush to compete if even 2 manufacturers settled on an Industry Standard Design! Prices on replacement batteries would quickly drop as battery manufacturers got into competition for sales. Don't hold your breath: American or any other industry is somewhat less than a benchmark for kindness and loving consideration.

I wonder what it would take to come up with one's own conversion kits for these tools after selecting the one battery that offers the most bang for the buck? Maybe I'll look into that. Ought to be able to use a simple voltage converter and ........... ?

Let's see: got the JB Weld, the Dremel, the wire and copper strips, and some resistors: DRILL-ZILLA!
        Last edited by JimmieD; 07-23-2006, 01:15 PM.

Comment

Do a "google" JimmieD, I think that it has been done. I am trying to remember where I saw it done... I'll post a link if I find it.

OK back again,

First link - to a DIY charger http://www.angelfire.com/electronic/hayles/charge1.html
          Last edited by BobbyMike; 07-23-2006, 02:30 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by JimmieD
            Really a shame that in the greedily narrow minded focus of proprietary engineering each manufacturer insists on their own private battery design ensuring that folks will be extorted into buying the 'Factory Replacement' battery for the life of the tool. How much is the 'Factory Replacement'? As much as the manufaturer and distribution system can possibly squeeze out of you without sending you elesewhere.

Think of the sudden rush to compete if even 2 manufacturers settled on an Industry Standard Design! Prices on replacement batteries would quickly drop as battery manufacturers got into competition for sales. Don't hold your breath: American or any other industry is somewhat less than a benchmark for kindness and loving consideration.

I wonder what it would take to come up with one's own conversion kits for these tools after selecting the one battery that offers the most bang for the buck? Maybe I'll look into that. Ought to be able to use a simple voltage converter and ........... ?

Let's see: got the JB Weld, the Dremel, the wire and copper strips, and some resistors: DRILL-ZILLA!

Beta or VHS???
            I don't have much of an issue with that, my biggest gripe was 9.6 volts, then 12 volts, then 14v, then 18, then 24, now 36. I realize that the technology is progressing but I hate paying for the process...ha!ha! Competition will win out, Beta is dead, VHS is a memory, 9.6 mikitas are in the trash bin....= )
            I have a feeling that the ion 36v will be around a few days, then it's on to the 48v and 72v units! ha!ha!
            MN

Comment

What's Next

Hey MN,
              I have a makita 9.6, a porter cable 18, as well as several corded drills of various sizes & vintages. Where's it going to end Norm?

Comment

Hey Bruce...I knew someone would mention that they have a 9.6...ha!ha!
                Adequate for a homeowners lightweight tool but woefully inadequate for a job site tool and that is what they were first marketed as....
                Where will it end? I suspect that we'll have 110 volt battery systems some day...think about what that means for solar panel re-chargers and home power........
                MN

Comment

Hey those 9.6 Makitas are great. I've got six.

Of course the batteries are all long dead, so the motors are destined to become robot parts.

Comment

Yes, great for homeowners, not enough torque for serious 8 hours a day, seven days a week service.
                    MN

Comment

I Really

Like my Porter-Cable, sometimes it will sit on the bench for a week or more. I can use it for 4 or more hours, has plenty of torque. I've had the Makita for 20 some years, it mostly sits in it's case<LOL>!

Comment

But not long ago

Maybe 25 years ago the 9.6 makita at one time was the standard for all battery drills. They were used on all job sites, but you could always find spare batteries lined up in chargers sitting around. I'd like to try a 36v as my 18v battery doesn't hold a charge anymore.

Comment

Originally posted by Bruce
                          Like my Porter-Cable, sometimes it will sit on the bench for a week or more. I can use it for 4 or more hours, has plenty of torque. I've had the Makita for 20 some years, it mostly sits in it's case<LOL>!
                          When new the DeWalt 18v ERP batteries last about 6 hours, after approx. 2 years it's time to replace them as they "remember" down to about 2 hrs or less. The new 36v is not supposed to have a "memory" and is advertised (ha!ha!) to last longer.
                          MN
                          Last edited by MoparNorm; 07-26-2006, 08:48 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Sickcall
                            Maybe 25 years ago the 9.6 makita at one time was the standard for all battery drills. They were used on all job sites, but you could always find spare batteries lined up in chargers sitting around. I'd like to try a 36v as my 18v battery doesn't hold a charge anymore.
                            They were the "standard" because they were the ONLY battery tool..ha!ha! The first competition cordless tools from Milwaulkee, B&D and others were even worse. But the Mikita's were so cheap that they became disposable tools on the jobsite. DeWalt became the standards with the 18v tools, but some diehards that don't want to spend money for a quality made US tool still buy the Mikita.
                            MN

Comment

Well, I gotta stand up in defense of Makita, a Japanese manufacturer. Why? Because they had it, and America didn't. At the time I bought my Makita, as about 1990, there was no American tool of any quality to speak of, and 9.6 volts was top of the heap! My same Makita is still going strong even after many years of daily use on the jobsite. True, I didn't do carpentry work, driving hundreds of screws in a day, but it still got a healthy workout in my trades nonetheless. Also the Fast Charger with a spare battery was always able to keep up with a day's work. The later 'Smart Batteries' did a much better job than the earlier 'Stupid' [?] types.

So, technology or at least the release of same, has made some advances to be sure, but my trusty Makita is still running strong. It manages to pack quite a bit of punch for the voltage. As a matter of fact, DeWalt was just about out of business back in those days and couldn't even offer a good corded drill at the time, let alone a good cordless of any voltage!

Comment

Working...
                              X