Soda Blast?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Soda Blast?

Has anyone had their vehicle Soda-Blasted?

Like it? Pros? Any cons?

Is that Soda Blast the process where a bunch of teenagers get all wired up on Jolt Cola laced with Ginko Bilboa and hand sand the body with Brillo pads to bare metal or what? Tell me more? :~ )

Comment

Originally posted by JimmieD
      Is that Soda Blast the process where a bunch of teenagers get all wired up on Jolt Cola laced with Ginko Bilboa and hand sand the body with Brillo pads to bare metal or what? Tell me more? :~ )
      HAHAHAHA... Where are the emoticons when you need one? =8^D

It is like sand blasting, but it uses an industrial baking soda as the spray media to remove paint and rust. Supposedly it is so good that you can remove one layer at a time, which would really help out with looking for ID numbers under old layers of paint.

Comment

Originally posted by Tech Tim
        HAHAHAHA... Where are the emoticons when you need one? =8^D

It is like sand blasting, but it uses an industrial baking soda as the spray media to remove paint and rust. Supposedly it is so good that you can remove one layer at a time, which would really help out with looking for ID numbers under old layers of paint.
        It is an interesting idea. I am not familiar with it. Some of us should check with local paint and blasting companies to see if they use it.
        Power Wagon Advertiser monthly magazine, editor & publisher.

Why is it that the inside of old truck cabs smell so good?

Comment

Originally posted by Gordon Maney
          It is an interesting idea. I am not familiar with it. Some of us should check with local paint and blasting companies to see if they use it.
          Google it, there is a ton of info about it on the web, it sounds really nifty, but would like to talk with someone who has actually done it.

I'll check on a few of the other forums I visit.

Comment

Soda Blasting

I'm familiar with a local company that builds / rebuilds power plant and industrial heat exchangers. They started soda blasting for their own use and now do boilers and other heavy equipment. I've seen them do demonstrations. My understanding is that it is strong, yet gentle on the substrate. It does use water, though. Eastwood has some equipment available.
            Doug

Comment

I've read a few cons to Soda blasting this evening.

One, it doesn't look like it is re-useable, one time use and flush it away.
              Two, some are talking about a reaction with metal, soda and water.

Need to do some more digging. Might be time to think about crushed Walnut shells instead.

Comment

There are dozens of types of blast media. Walnut shells are best used on aluminum. Polymers work better on sheetsteel, oxide beads on heavy steel frames. Go to just about any web site selling media and they will have a chart as to what to use. Sand is OK for frames but it will warp sheetmetal, plus most sand has silicon in it that will potentially kill you and the sheetmetal at the same time.
                A few of us use Black Beauty polymere (it also come in green) with good results. Soda requires a good and thorough flushing of the parts after blasting, it's a messy proposition unless you have a facility set up for it.
                MN

Comment

Working...
                X