rust

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• rust

I might be posting this in the wrong area sorry if I did .
    Ive got some rust on my cab is there some kind of anti rust chemical to apply to this problem? thanks

Gator:

There's all kinds of products out there. It all depends on what ya want to do. I used to use Rustoleum's rust converter which worked great and lasted for years. It's very expensive at $8 or $9.00 a pint. I'm currently trying 1 Step Rust Killer (brand name). It's about $40.00 a gallon. I can't give any long term results yet as I just started using it this year. So far, so good, but that's what the guy said when he fell off the skyscrapper. HA!

Later
    Ugg

Comment

Those or Jasco Metal Etch, Jasco Prep & Primer, Stiles Paint Co. Rust-Ender and on and on. Almost all of the rust convverter products are a formula of phosphoric acid with some ethylene glycol and other magic to convert iron oxides into an inert black substrate that you can paint directly over. Might check Eastwood's Restoration for products also:

http://www.eastwoodco.com/

They carry good quality products aimed at the restoration hobby.

Comment

Jimmie:

There's a whole new batch of converters that are green friendly. The 1 Step is. I kinda prefer to go that route these days after breathin way to many BAD fumes. (Waitin on a Nammy comment.) ;>)

Later
        Ugg

Comment

Since most of these products work at the surface, all of the rust converters and removal products will work far better if you remove as much rust and scale mechanically before you apply them. The closer to bare metal you achieve before their application the better. Following up with a good top finish coating, helping to keep more poisture out, the longer the oxidation will be arrested. You could try using a needle gun, whire wheel, grinder, or even a chipping hammer to remove as much of the scale as possible.

I have found that in most harsh enviorments these products are not permanent and will eventually fail. Sand blasting to bare metal, and the proper application of a coating system, is the only way to get permanent results.

Comment

thanks I remember seeing somthing to stop rust one year at TURKEY ROD RUN ,but couldnt remember the product or if that stuff worked thanks.

Comment

Working...
            X