Ceiling framing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ceiling framing

Here are some images of the evolving state of affairs regarding the living room ceiling. I just wish I had more time, and where does it all go?
    Attached Files
    Power Wagon Advertiser monthly magazine, editor & publisher.

Why is it that the inside of old truck cabs smell so good?

It looks very professional....= )
    MN

Comment

Paper

Hey Gordon, Time does fly when your doing so many things. Is that plain kraft paper surrounding the new windows? Never have seen a metal stud ceiling, is that code?

Comment

Originally posted by MoparNorm View Post
        It looks very professional....= )
        MN
        I had some good guidance.....

Comment

Originally posted by Bruce View Post
          Hey Gordon, Time does fly when your doing so many things. Is that plain kraft paper surrounding the new windows? Never have seen a metal stud ceiling, is that code?
          The paper is masking paper from a paint store. It was placed on the wall before the window trim went on; the purpose is to allow the two finishing processes to occur and not contaminate one another. The trim finish material did not get on the wall and the paint will not get on the trim. Once finished, you carefully cut the paper with an X-acto or other sharp knife. I read about this method decades ago and always wanted to use it.

The metal framing is commonly used in commercial work for walls and ceilings. Yes, it meets codes. Although, where I live, we don't seem to have codes, and I am being serious. It has always been my wish to do things right, however.

Comment

Yesiree, Gordon, you do some nice work!

Comment

Gordon you have succeeded in building a flat ceiling but now the real work begins, drywalling. Are you going to hang and finish it yourself? If so a rented drywall jack is the way to go for saving your back as well as a Rotozip for cutting out nice round circles for those can lights. Keep up the usual fine work, you're on your own for finding the time it passes much to fast. Well except when it comes to taping and sanding drywall LOL.

Comment

I met many good kids when I was an automotive instructor for 14 years. The class of 1978 had quite a few. One of them, and his brother, started out life early as drywall hangers. The younger brother, Arlan, went on to other things but continues the craft on the side. I could say he helped me put up the steel, but really I helped him. I will help him hang the sheetrock. and his brother Carl, who is now an estimator and manager at a firm specializing in commercial work, will do the finishing.

I purchased a rotozip prior to commencing this newest phase of the remodeling. I think I will also be using it to cut out the openings for boxes in the wall for communications wire that we discussed in a different thread.

I am going to run conduit and boxes for that wiring, so the boxes are vermin proof [even though I hope I don't have any....] and so that I can pull other wire through at a later date if I want to do so.

As an aside, another member of that very same class, Tom, is the central technical figure in the successful operation of this website. For certain, 1978 was a good year.

Comment

Originally posted by Gordon Maney View Post
                  The paper is masking paper from a paint store. It was placed on the wall before the window trim went on; the purpose is to allow the two finishing processes to occur and not contaminate one another. The trim finish material did not get on the wall and the paint will not get on the trim. Once finished, you carefully cut the paper with an X-acto or other sharp knife. I read about this method decades ago and always wanted to use it.
                  Now that is a clever idea! Keep us posted on how well it works out!

Pieter

Comment

In looking at some old photos here today I found this one. It is from a previous bit of plaster removal in this same room. I removed big windows and at one point had my Power Wagon backed up to one of the openings, shoveling plaster rubble through the opening into the truck.

I am glad that is over.

As an aside, it is interesting to note how lath and plaster was used to cover a multitude of sins in construction. It is also fascinating to consider the ferocious amount of labor that went into the building of such a house, and.... it was all hand saws.
                    Attached Files

Comment

Window Manufacturer's

Been there & really done that before! Back in the day, each workman had several saw-sets to re-align all of the teeth on his saw as needed, I have a few of my grandfathers as well as a couple of his shop made tool boxes.
                      I remember we had some disscussion about the maker's of windows & whose were better.........but for the life of me, I can't remember who the maker/builder was? I do remember Pella was not liked by anybody!

Comment

Gordon,
                        Seeing the picture of your room with the plaster lath reminds me that last month we toured a house on the Wilderness Battlefield in Virginia. That house was built in 1799 and is being restored. THe lath on its walls looks identical with yours. IN the old house you can see horsehair (I believe) mixed in the old plaster to help stiffen it. That is what the docent said anyway.
                        The house nearly collapsed before they got to it because of termite and powder post beetles-all before the days of treated lumber sills!
                        Dave

Comment

Originally posted by Doc Dave View Post
                          Gordon,
                          Seeing the picture of your room with the plaster lath reminds me that last month we toured a house on the Wilderness Battlefield in Virginia. That house was built in 1799 and is being restored. THe lath on its walls looks identical with yours. IN the old house you can see horsehair (I believe) mixed in the old plaster to help stiffen it. That is what the docent said anyway.

The house nearly collapsed before they got to it because of termite and powder post beetles-all before the days of treated lumber sills!
                          Dave
                          During the first round of plaster removal years ago I found brown hair in a good share of the plaster. The whole matter of how they did things manages to be really fascinating.

Comment

Originally posted by Doc Dave View Post
                            Gordon,
                            Dave
                            Our house has the same lathe/plaster/horsehair construction. Built in 1802. Unfortunately some of the plaster has been delaminating from the walls. Good news is that it seems to be all in the kitchen, where we haven't yet remodeled.

Comment

Same Here

Our house was built in 1821.

Comment

Working...
                              X