Precision machining

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Precision machining

If you are interested in metal machining, you will find this fascinating.

http://www.sherline.com/jmfJor03.htm
    Power Wagon Advertiser monthly magazine, editor & publisher.

Why is it that the inside of old truck cabs smell so good?

Iron Fever

Recently went to Iron Fever, a model, steam and machinist's event in York Pa. Truly amazing the steam and gas engines and working models that are made by machinists.

Comment

A true craftsman

I am amazed at the incredible patience that Barry has to replicate these fine pieces of machinery to a smaller scale. WOW. Gordon, how did you find this info?

Barry reminds me of a machinist that had past away a few years ago up here in Grass Valley CA. This man's name was Bob Forbes. He machined for 62 years before his passing. A old school machinist that was a inspiration to many people.

Paul Ivazes

Comment

Gordon,
        My Grandfather used to make things like this, most or all of it is in the Smithsonian. I must check it out, I have some newspaper articles about him , not much else. Barry is very talented indeed!!
        Thanks For The Link,

Comment

Re: A true craftsman

Originally posted by paul ivazes
          ....how did you find this info?
          I had performed a search on Yahoo for information about Bridgeport milling machines.

Why? I had a discussion with a machinist about large drill presses and he said he would not buy a drill press, he would buy an old Bridgeport (assuming you could afford the milling machine); then you would have it all.

I was exploring for information about sizes and differences among Bridgeport models, and found that.

Comment

Bridgeport Mill

Gordon,

My uncle is retired from Makino LeBlond, and has been a machinist for most of his life.

After showing him this link, his response was "That is exactly what it is, a Universal Bridgeport Mill. Give me a Bridgeport Mill, a 15" LeBlond Regal Lathe and there isn't much you can not make as long as the part will fit on these machines."

He has traveled all over the world building/rebuilding these machines, and I would definitely trust his knowledge when making a decision of this nature.

Therefore, it sounds like your friend is steering you in the right direction.

Perhaps we could help you find something?

Comment

I am not in a position to be able to afford anything now, but I am very interested, and my goal now is learning about models and features. I figure I won't be able to recognize a good opportunity if I don't know enough to identify it. And, who knows, perhaps I will contact you for input and assistance. Thank you for offering. I suspect your uncle is a fascinating person, due to his history.

I would like to at some point buy a lathe and milling machine. I would like them to be experienced veterans made in these United States of America.

The machinist I talked to recently works at the same company I work. This plant has been declining, the lowest seniority workers are at 26 years. The upper end is approximately 35 years. For most of their history the company had full machining and fabrication capability, with three shifts of production.

This fellow had opportunity to buy a Bridgeport from the company at one of the sales they had when they decided to stop manufacturing most parts inside. Outsourcing, they call it. That is another story.

The mill he got had been sitting unused for 15 years, he told me, and I could tell he had been watching over it for that long. I admire that, envy that, and respect it; the reverence he has for his machines.

So, I would like to find, sometime, a mill and a lathe that has been orphaned by the tragic decline of manufacturing industry in this country.

The first lathe I ever ran as an employee was a LeBlond, you would be interested to know. It had an open, cast iron base, as I recall it would swing 12 inches, and had about 60 inches between centers. That was when we used nothing but hand ground tool steel. It did not have a quick change gear box, it had a huge assortment of gears that you interchanged to get different feed rates.

Being able to make things ourselves is, I think, a great virtue and asset.

Comment

Due to the decline of American manufacturing, there is a glut of machine tools on the market right now so it's a real good time to shop. A couple of years ago, I bought two Bridgeports for a very reasonable price. I cleaned up one of them and sold it, which was enough to pay back the entire purchase price so the one I kept was "free".

I also have a 10x36 Sheldon lathe, which was made in 1946. It has a threading gearbox, is all manual with no digital readout but does good work, although the spindle hole is small.

You can pick up lathes and mills at auctions and at vocational trade school sales. There are some real bargains on fairly new machinery if you have a little coin to spend. If you are serious, get out and snag one now before the excess are scrapped and made into rebar or some other such sacrilege.

Don't pass up a 3-phase machine because you can easily buy a converter and run off single phase in your shop - just don't buy too big for your electrical service. The typical vertical knee mill has a 1 hp motor and most lathes are under 7 hp. I have a 100 amp service to my shop and run a 10 hp phase convertor with no problems but I used BIG wire when I built it.

Comment

Thanks, that is good to know about the converter. I have 3 phase in my shop, which is in an industrial area, but it is not available in most residential areas, unless I spend big bucks for a transformer.
                  Any web sites with converter info?
                  MN

Comment

Bridgeport series 2

Gordon, When out on your hunt for your future Bridgeport fix, look for a Bridgeport series 2 model. This model is just a little bit heavier duty than the series 1 model. Out here in CA you can pick up a Bridgeport series 1 mill for around $800.00 to $1,500.00, a series 2 mill for around $2,500.00 to about $4,000.00. If you are a serious looker, I can keep my eyes open for you. I keep track of every tool auction out on the west coast and would be happy to set you up when you are ready. I attended a auction a few months back where I saw engine lathes that are in good shape go for $150.00 apiece. At that auction a lot of 10 Monarch EE lathes sold for $1,500.00. Thats $150.00 each. Thats all. Paul Ivazes

Comment

Re phase convertors, there is a little book out called "Running 3 Phase Motors on Single Phase Power", which provides some good info. I will state emphatically that there are a couple things I have discovered. One is that a 3-phase welder WILL NOT work with a phase convertor. I can't explain why but it has something to do with the fact that convertors really only generate a "ghost leg" with capacitors and a welder needs real 3 phase. However, other motors seem to work fine. The second thing is that the cheap convertors that only use capacitors do not work that well. You need to buy a unit that has a motor attached to it like a RotoPhase. I have not looked on the internet but that is a good brand.

An EE toolroom lathe used to bring many thousands of dollars. What has this country come to?
                      Last edited by HWooldridge; 09-17-2003, 03:27 PM.

Comment

Phase Converters

A static converter shifts the phase only upon starting the 3-phase motor; the motor "single phases" when up to speed. This arrangement reduces the power rating of the power and unbalances the windings in the motor.

A rotary phase converter can be made from an old 3-phase motor and is a step above the static converter. These are very inefficient.

The best way to run a 3-phase motor on single is with a VFD - variable frequency drive. They are electronic devices that have a true 3-phase output. They are efficient and allow for a variable frequency at the output; i.e. variable speed motor. These units are available used very reasonably.

Comment

Re: Phase Converters

Originally posted by Denis
                          The best way to run a 3-phase motor on single is with a VFD - variable frequency drive. They are electronic devices that have a true 3-phase output. They are efficient and allow for a variable frequency at the output; i.e. variable speed motor. These units are available used very reasonably.
                          Denis, it is interesting that you mention this. The machinist I talked to at work suggested this as the best method.

Other questions I ponder include these: I am intrigued by a gap bed lathe, and wonder if there is any disadvantage. Also, are there any good ways to protect a fine machine tool that is kept in a building that is often unheated? How would a person prevent problems from condensation? Is there a way?

And, Paul, I did look at Monarch EE's, they would be a nice lathe. What a remarkable price....

Comment

Gordon,

Why do you want a gap bed lathe? If you plan to do drums, you are better off with a brake lathe. A 15x40 engine lathe with 1-1/4 spindle hole will do almost anything you can imagine.

Re the question on protection, I live in a humid area with a shop that has a dirt floor and no insulation. I keep everything sprayed down with WD40 when the weather is prone to condensation. I buy WD40 in bulk and have a hand sprayer that will soak everything in short order. Once or twice a year, I scrub all surfaces with mineral spirits and power wire brush any areas that have rusted. You can also use a vinyl or canvas machine cover for protection. I know a guy that has a lathe OUTSIDE under a tree and he has kept it in good shape by religiously putting a heavy machine cover over it and keeping it oiled.

I still believe now is a good time to find this kind of stuff due to the glut on the market. The excess capacity will eventually go away and prices will increase.

Comment

I don't want a gap bed lathe for brake drums. I have just always thought it would be nice to have the ability to turn some large diameter thing, and I am imagining some one-off fabrication, for example.

That is just me dreaming. Your assertion about the 15x40 lathe is absolutely correct.

Comment

Working...
                              X