Spindles and hubs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Spindles and hubs

I have been saving my used 255-85-16 tires from my Ram to use on a farm trailer that I would use on my place. The thing is, I don't have the trailer, I just think about it.

What would be a best source of an axle, or of spindles and hubs, to accept the 8-hole, 16 inch wheels? Early trucks, or.... are junk rear housings cheap, or..... get the rear half of a frame, like the old timers did it?

Discuss...
    Power Wagon Advertiser monthly magazine, editor & publisher.

Why is it that the inside of old truck cabs smell so good?

I say it depends on what is available

I am assuming you have the rims already? With tires, and want a trailer.
    Okay.... There is probably some 7K rated axles out there that they would fit. Overkill for most people.
    I think that there are some 16" rims available that use a more common bolt pattern. Either way it seems that you are building a trailer. I have done this a couple of times.

The funny part is that for about 200 clams you can get a 3500 lb axle with all the goodies, bearings, hubs, springs, etc. Then you set out and build the frame. For a little more you can have elec brakes. Maybe possible to find a axle and hubs that fit the 8 lug wheels?? Hmmmm....

Good luck!
    -Pat

Comment

Originally posted by Patrick74 View Post
      I am assuming you have the rims already? With tires, and want a trailer.
      Okay.... There is probably some 7K rated axles out there that they would fit. Overkill for most people.
      I think that there are some 16" rims available that use a more common bolt pattern. Either way it seems that you are building a trailer. I have done this a couple of times.

The funny part is that for about 200 clams you can get a 3500 lb axle with all the goodies, bearings, hubs, springs, etc. Then you set out and build the frame. For a little more you can have elec brakes. Maybe possible to find a axle and hubs that fit the 8 lug wheels?? Hmmmm....

Good luck!
      -Pat
      That is a good thought. Buy an axle assembly that accepts 16 inch wheels. I would likely have something better when I was done anyway. Thank you for the ideas.
      Last edited by Gordon Maney; 05-04-2007, 10:34 PM.
      Power Wagon Advertiser monthly magazine, editor & publisher.

Why is it that the inside of old truck cabs smell so good?

Comment

Gordon,

Check out this guy. I had bought some parts from him when I redone my 10 ton trailer. He is pretty reasonable. You will have to go to a 6,000 lb axle to get the 8 lug style. See link below.

http://abctrailerparts.com/

Doug

Comment

Working...
        X