Floor jack

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Floor jack

I have an ancient Blackhawk floor jack that has been a workhorse over the years and recently is acting up on me. When you twist the cap on the handle the jack does not want to release all the way to the floor like it used to. Other than the light not working, this has been the first problem I have had with it. I flushed the master cylinder and put new fluid in it when the problem started. The old fluid didn't look too clean but this did not solve the problem. I hate to tear into the cylinder if I don't have to because it is unlikely to find parts for the old girl. Anyone have any ideas on what could be wrong or a remedy?

There should be a grease fitting in the lift cross beam, maybe things are dry in there. Also might check for any binding in the lift linkage. Possibility that the hex head on the release valve has too much slop in the handle.

Here's parts: http://blackhawkparts.bigstep.com/

Comment

When you "release" the handle, you are opening a port to return fluid to the main reservoir. Dirt or particles may have clogged that port or bleeder....?

Comment

What happens when you stand on the lift pad, does it go down?

I have an old Blackhawk 4-ton that is all cast iron, and it has a headlight and a key lock in the knob at the end of the handle. For years I had to push down on the handle to raise the jack, thus pressing the lift pad down. By, for years, I mean 20 years.

Just last year I got it repaired. I was told that the difficult descent was due to ram packing being in bad shape.

I think old jacks are worth fixing, but you have to find the right shop to do it, because a lot of them want to only work on big cylinders, and not jacks. Too many throw away jacks today.

If you start turning it over and trying to change the fluid, you may stir up sludge and have it end up blocking passages or check valves. Not a reason to not work with it, just something to think about. Keep at it.

We need more people fixing old jacks, as those old jacks were made in the USA.....
        Power Wagon Advertiser monthly magazine, editor & publisher.

Why is it that the inside of old truck cabs smell so good?

Comment

I'm having a hard time finding a jack* that can lift the rear of my Ram (9,000 lbs total, so maybe 7,500 lbs, or 4+ tons, from the center of the back axles, raising both wheels at once).
          Do you have a picture of that jack or any info that either of you can pass along?
          Thanks!

* forget any chinese made jack!

Comment

Originally posted by MoparNorm View Post
            I'm having a hard time finding a jack* that can lift the rear of my Ram (9,000 lbs total, so maybe 7,500 lbs, or 4+ tons, from the center of the back axles, raising both wheels at once).
            Do you have a picture of that jack or any info that either of you can pass along?
            Thanks!

* forget any chinese made jack!
            In today's market, it is hard to forget Chinese jacks, as that is nearly all that there is available.

I have a really nice Snap-On 10-ton that I bought used. It has an air assist. A 10-ton would work well lifting your truck.
            Power Wagon Advertiser monthly magazine, editor & publisher.

Why is it that the inside of old truck cabs smell so good?

Comment

Did you find it on ebay, or a local source? Guess I'll start looking around...as soon as I get the crawler project started...= )

Comment

Thanks a million for the advice and the parts source. I will definitely keep at it because it is twice the jack that you could replace it with today even in it's current condition

Comment

2 cents on jacks

if u get the name of the local SNAP-ON or MAC TOOL man in your area,
                  they are constantly aware of used tools, boxes, jacks etc. as new guys get in, old guys get out, businesses close or upgrade.

also farm auctions or business auctions

hope this helps.

Comment

Working...
                  X