Another cordless drill thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Another cordless drill thread

I have a Bosch cordless drill that has been very good. It is probably six or eight years old. The batteries are failing, and new ones would be 50-60 dollars.

Quite some time ago there was a thread on cordless drills, but the manufacturers have so many new products coming out that I think it may warrant a new discussion.

Do I buy a new one because it is so much better, along with its system of other goodies, or do I buy new batteries for my old one?

Discuss...
    Power Wagon Advertiser monthly magazine, editor & publisher.

Why is it that the inside of old truck cabs smell so good?

I think the question is really best answered by the user.
    Do you like the Bosch unit?
    Is there anything really wrong with it?
    I have an old makita that works for my needs, but the spindle is a little bent... but it does what I need it to.
    How much is a comparable new unit compared to buying batteries?

I saw the new Makita's at a trade show and would consider getting a set of those. They have little LED lights at the front so you can see what you are doing.

On the same token, one of my clients has a dozen or so 7.6v Makita's. He can't get new batteries, so he found a place that will build him batteries. For him, he has a different bit in each one and saves him much time doing what he needs to do.

Then Norm's gonna jump in here and say to pick up the new Mega-volt Dewalt.

Pieter

Comment

If you are happy with your Bosch, get a new battery. If you are looking for more power, longer battery life and have $250 to spend, then get a New 18v nickle/cadmium De Walt. More speed more torque, etc. However the batteries are $85-$90 and I have 4 to keep me going in an 8 hour day (drill, screw gun, circular saw, flashlight and radio) If you want new and you want several tools stay with the same brand and the same voltage so that all of your cordless tools can use the same battery.

Comment

Originally posted by pieter View Post
        Then Norm's gonna jump in here and say to pick up the new Mega-volt Dewalt.

Pieter

Ha!Ha! Almost!

Comment

I Have A Dewalt With 18 Volt Batteries. The Batteries Have A Design Flaw That The Manufacturer Has Not Addressed. The Batteries Fall Out All The Time While In Use. What Did I Expect For $70.00 Batteries? I Got Sick Of Taping Them In Place.

I Went To Sears And For $159.00 I Got A Set That Included......

2 Batteries
          1 Charging Dock
          1 Flourescent Flashlight
          1 Radial Saw
          1 Sawsall
          1 Drill
          1 Impact Wrench

I Felt Bad Purchasing This As It Is Made In China And I Do Not Generally Buy Import Stuff. But I Felt Worse Spending Too Much Money On The Dewalt Stuff That Just Didn't Perform.

The Sears Tools Have Performed Flawlessly And I Am Very Satisfied. Each Tool Accepts The Same Battery. All That Stuff For One Low Price!

Kevin

Comment

Was the battery clip broken? I've been using the 18v batteries since 1998, never had a problem with them falling out (5 tools and 7 batteries in that time), my issue has been having them stick and being too hard to get out when the guides get dirt in them. You have to physically depress the clip retainer on each side to get them to snap into place and then physically depress the two clip retainers simultaneously to get them out.
            What was the issue with yours?

Comment

Originally posted by MoparNorm View Post
              Was the battery clip broken? I've been using the 18v batteries since 1998, never had a problem with them falling out (5 tools and 7 batteries in that time), my issue has been having them stick and being too hard to get out when the guides get dirt in them. You have to physically depress the clip retainer on each side to get them to snap into place and then physically depress the two clip retainers simultaneously to get them out.
              What was the issue with yours?
              They won't hold a charge for any length of time like they used to. I am sure that under-use has been a huge factor.

Comment

Originally posted by Gordon Maney View Post
                They won't hold a charge for any length of time like they used to. I am sure that under-use has been a huge factor.
                I let my batteries run completely down, then charge them fully on the job site each day, never overnight, rotating them every 4 hours or so. They've lasted many, many years that way, so I suppose occasional use is not very good for them, once they lose the ability to hold a charge, they're done for....

Comment

I've got a 14.4 volt DeWalt. I definitely like the drill/driver feature and the size of it. Batteries are definitely expensive. Lowes' has a set of 2 18 volt batteries for around $100, but they sell only 1 14.4 volt for around $70. Mine is only for homeowner use and I have been disappointed about battery life. I too wondered if under use played a factor. It seems as if they sit and run down they won't hold a charge after that.

Comment

Anything, used only occasionally, loses it's usefulness.....= )

Comment

I guess I would ask a few more questions before I gave advice.

What voltage was your Bosch?

Was it adequate for all your needs?

Did it charge in a timely fashion (in your opinion)?

Do you like the way it feels in your hand?

I hesitate advising anyone to replace a drill/driver that works with a new one, if they were satisfied with the old one. A new battery would make sense in that case.

For a nice quality drill/driver you can easily spend $200-300 just for the drill/driver, battery, and charger.

That $150-250 difference could buy other needed tools!

Comment

Originally posted by BobbyMike View Post
                        I guess I would ask a few more questions before I gave advice.

What voltage was your Bosch?

Was it adequate for all your needs?

Did it charge in a timely fashion (in your opinion)?

Do you like the way it feels in your hand?

I hesitate advising anyone to replace a drill/driver that works with a new one, if they were satisfied with the old one. A new battery would make sense in that case.

For a nice quality drill/driver you can easily spend $200-300 just for the drill/driver, battery, and charger.

That $150-250 difference could buy other needed tools!
                        The drill is a model 3610, a 14.4 volt tool. I used it primarily for drilling, as it was not real capable as a driver for screws. It took at least an hour or more to charge. I do like how it feels in my hand and it is not a heavy tool.

It seems that I could buy two batteries for $100 or so. It seems a shame to me to throw it away just because of the batteries. I was looking at other parts prices. The trigger switch is $90, and other parts are fairly expensive, so..... the one fear is that you could buy two batteries, sinking $100 or more in it, then have one more part fail, and then have a lot of money in it.

But, I hate to throw it away.... on the horns of a dilemma.

Comment

Maybe one answer on using the batteries more would be one of the flashlights that will accept the batteries.

I think weight is an issue, too. There are some pretty powerful drills, but they could get heavy, as someone else mentioned.

Comment

Seems one of the major considerations for occassional use, not full-on all day in construction, is battery replacement cost! I use 9.6 volt Makita and used them all day long in construction [but electrician, not Norm's far more demanding contracting work]. They are always more than adequate for me and still going after many years.

I can find replacement 9.6VDC batteries for as little as $30 at times. I need to pick up a few now, matter of fact. But cost wise that's a no brainer for me, and it might be a good indicator for future purchase. I'd select the item that has adequate power, which seems to start at 9.6VDC and of course goes up, and see what kind of prices they want for replacement batteries. Do I want a tool that I know will cost me $200-$300 for replacement batteries down the road, KNOWING I'll need them later? Not me....

Most of these later batteries use 'Smart Charging' technology. As Norm states, he always takes them all the way down before recharging. If that isn't done then the battery keeps taking shallow surface charges and then won't take deep charges later and the battery is functionally damaged. On an old battery it sometimes helps to put it back in the tool, run it down to zero under load or however, and then toss it in the 'fridge. Let it cool overnight, stick it in the charger and some will be restored, some not.

In electrical/electronics you have a 20% rule, that most devices will function in a range within 20% of advertised or spec'd rating. That means a 120V device will function at any voltage between 108V and 132V. Because of this you can take a 9.6VDC to 14.4VDC cordless drill and wire it with a pigtail and a pair of alligator clips so that operates off 12VDC vehicle battery! Did that with my favorite Makita 9.6V. Stick it in the tool box of your truck and you've always got a powerful drill at the ready, even out in the middle of nowhere with no drill battery or charger...

Comment

I am not sure what Norm means by taking it all the way down. When the drill performance drops to an unacceptable level, I get the other battery. Having said that, the replaced batter will still turn it. Does taking it all the way down mean discharging the rest of the charge in some other manner, or is taking it all the way down mean what I am doing?

Neat idea on the car battery source. While using it, however, you will have to continuously chant, this is not a cordless drill, this is not a cordless drill....

Comment

Working...
                              X