How to polish glass lenses?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to polish glass lenses?

I bought some original Dodge script glass tail lights, correct for the power wagon from the early 50's.
    THe red glass (with the white Dodge script) has some scratches in the glass.
    Can I take a buffer and some compound to shine it up? If so what type of buffing pad and compound?

I read somewhere about using...

toothpaste.
    Never tried it myself though. If you do, make sure its not gritty. Also you could try compact disc polishing kits. You could also test what you want to use on a bottle so that you don't ruin your lights.

Kevin

Comment

Kevin,
      YOu might be right on that. After I posted I recall seeing advertising for Autosol, a polishing compound for chrome, etc on cars. I think it is a fine grade compound. It is also used to take scratches out of the modern cars plastic headlight covers. I may try that on a glass bottle first, as you suggested.
      Dave

Comment

Call a lens grinding lab that does eye glasses near you. See what they suggest. Their work is far more sophisticated than what you need, but you might get an interesting solution from them.
        Power Wagon Advertiser monthly magazine, editor & publisher.

Why is it that the inside of old truck cabs smell so good?

Comment

Good suggestion, will do.
          If I learn anything interesting I will share it here.

Comment

Depending on the depth of the scratchs, I would start with Clover compound and finish with white rouge. Both on a felt wheel on a Foredom or die grinder.

Toothpaste is good for plastic, like clear vinyl on canvas tops. But the abrasives are not hard enough for glass, other than as a cleaner.

Comment

Working...
            X