Fabrication on a Large Scale

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fabrication on a Large Scale

Well, some of you know and most of you don't know I have gotten into structural steel detailing over the past year. Today was a "final exam" for me as my largest detailing job was installed today. A 102'-0" box truss was set on four columns this afternoon and it fit like a glove!

The surrounding steel and the truss weighed in at 44,000lbs of steel. Last Wednesday and Friday, we set the columns and hung a good portion of the steel. Today, I just supervised and made sure they put the truss together.
    All the other steel went it like a big erector set, just need to follow my drawings ;o)

What amazes me is I created close to 70 drawings detailing everything out, dimensioning all the holes, placement and the fabrication shop probably had a 99.5% accuracy rate. There are close to 450 bolts and there might be 5 that we had real issues with.

One thing that really helped is they took my drawings and assembled all my gusset plates on one drawing and then ran that through their CNC program and created a toolpath for their CNC plasma table. They still had to take all the gusset plates and weld them to the columns and truss. It amazes me on how accurate the fab shop was with the welding and fitment of the truss. And their welds are something I could only dream of ever achieving!

It went together prefectly and in the morning I'll be back out there hanging a few other pieces.

Pieter

More pictures:
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/pmvliet...7600510217450/

Overall job & Truss:

Bare Welds:

Cool, is that truss for a serious hanger door?? I use to run a crew wiring up airplane hangers in Gulf Shores Alabama, man it was HOT!!! Sure was fun getting those green hands scared in the man lifts when it started rocking side to side...haha

Doug

Comment

This truss is way over designed/engineered. Directly under this truss, the doors will hang, but the doors are self supporting... They ride on rails.
      it has been an interesting job to say the least.

The top & bottom chord and the vertical panel points are all 6" wide flanges. All the bracing is double-angles... Super rigid and could probably list a tank if needed be...

Been thinking I could make a pretty nice size shop if I had a few more of them built ;o) and the property to go with it....

Pieter

Comment

Some Shop!

Awsome work Pieter...something on a smaller scale is what I'd like.

Comment

Wowie zowie, Pieter, that's very VERY nice!! I've gotten myself into the same habit of drawing out all projects before any tools are touched. Sometimes takes me a couple of years to get the drawings right, but that way I've already trial assembled it on paper and discovered, and changed, all the potential problems. That job of yours far exceeds anything I've ever done, or ever will. My hat's off to you!

JimmieD

Comment

Originally posted by Bruce View Post
            Awsome work Pieter...something on a smaller scale is what I'd like.
            Yeah, it is a tad overkill... have a shop that is 102' wide and 30' deep with no columns would be pretty sweet. Have a pair of bridge cranes hanging from the bottom of the truss...

When the day comes, I'll be able to draw up some pretty nice plans for a shop.
            One day....

Comment

Originally posted by JimmieD View Post
              Wowie zowie, Pieter, that's very VERY nice!! I've gotten myself into the same habit of drawing out all projects before any tools are touched. Sometimes takes me a couple of years to get the drawings right, but that way I've already trial assembled it on paper and discovered, and changed, all the potential problems. That job of yours far exceeds anything I've ever done, or ever will. My hat's off to you!

JimmieD
              Thanks for the compliments JimmieD. I was talking to someone that I just detailed a 102' truss that weighs in about 22,000lbs and I'm stuck on drawing the cross-members for my truck! It's just a matter of time I guess. In a few weeks, I'll draw up my cross-members and engine mounts for the Duster, then build them up....

Pieter

Comment

Mechanical drawing gets strange for me sometimes with compound curves. Many time I have had a plan in my head, have the mechanical parts, know the relationships and: TOTAL BRAIN FADE! I have found things that I simply can't draw even if they're sitting right in front of me. Straight line geometrics, no problem, but some of this stuff, like stamp-formed crossmembers, yipes!! It's not just you... :~ )

Comment

Pieter, Great Work! Congratulations.
                  I drive a DODGE, not a ram!

Thanks,
                  Will
                  WAWII.com

1946 WDX Power Wagon - "Missouri Mule"
                  1953 M37 - "Frankenstein"
                  1993 Jeep YJ - "Will Power"
                  1984 Dodge Ramcharger - "2014 Ramcharger"
                  2006 3500 DRW 4WD Mega Cab - "Power Wagon Hauler"

Comment

Hey Pieter:

As much as I dislike being a group person, I once again have to be. COOL! Keep up the good work.

Later
                    Ugg

Comment

Working...
                    X