New (to me) tap & die set

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New (to me) tap & die set

I bought a tap and die set the other day - old school and really good quality. Now I'll have to buy bigger wrenches to work on the 1.25" X 7 bolts.
    Attached Files

Very nice!

Comment

Cool!
      What part of china is Massachusetts?????= )

Comment

I've heard stories about the old days where they actually made stuff here in the U.S.A.

Comment

Wonderful condition. It is nice that someone cared for those for so long. How did you find them?

The large sizes are interesting. It would be fun to be able to get in a time machine and go back to the 20's and 30's and visit machine and repair shops.
          Power Wagon Advertiser monthly magazine, editor & publisher.

Why is it that the inside of old truck cabs smell so good?

Comment

Tap & die set

I bought the set of 3 Greenfield 1/2-inch taps (taper, plug and bottom) many years ago, so it's really neat that I have a full set of Greenfield tools to go with them. I bought the large set at a garage sale from an 89 year old gentleman, who bought them used over 40 years ago. It would be fun to find out how old this set really is. That 89 year old gentleman still hunts deer, antelope and elk every year. He had loaded up his Remington 7MM Mag and his .30-06 to shoot some targets when I was there. He looked like he usually didn't miss the bullseye either.

Comment

Originally posted by Russ Erickson View Post
              I bought the set of 3 Greenfield 1/2-inch taps (taper, plug and bottom) many years ago, so it's really neat that I have a full set of Greenfield tools to go with them. I bought the large set at a garage sale from an 89 year old gentleman, who bought them used over 40 years ago. It would be fun to find out how old this set really is. That 89 year old gentleman still hunts deer, antelope and elk every year. He had loaded up his Remington 7MM Mag and his .30-06 to shoot some targets when I was there. He looked like he usually didn't miss the bullseye either.
              We should do so well at 89. I want to...
              Power Wagon Advertiser monthly magazine, editor & publisher.

Why is it that the inside of old truck cabs smell so good?

Comment

What a great find, and marvelous quality.

One of the highpoints of my life was going with a friend to look at some cars for sale. They belonged to a man in his late 80's, maybe early 90's? We scouted around looking for him and finally found him working in his shop. BREATHTAKING! The whole shop was powered by huge overhead shafts, with long leather belts powering all the individual machines below. There was this very pleasant sound, of the belts and machines whirring away in muted tones. I didn't see anything that I could clearly date as mfd. after 1910. His craftmanship was astounding in perfection. I left in tears, but didn't let him see it.

Comment

Working...
                X