New Wilton vice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Wilton vice

I bought a new Wilton 4 1/2-inch vice at a ranch store about a week ago. The price was good, so I just grabbed it. When I got home with it, I saw the dreaded 'Made in China' label on it. That really put me in a poor mood when I consider such a proud name outsourcing their manufacturing to China. It is pretty well made, so I decided to keep it. The picture shows the 2-inch receiver hitch mount I made for it, just needs some paint now. Cleaned up the threads on the seat mount hold down bracket for my '51 IHC Cub tractor.
    Attached Files

Doesn't that just frost ya!? Fortunately, at least at this writing, only a portion of Wilton's manufacture is from overseas. I needed parts for a vintage Wilton Columbia that had been on the back bumper of my truck for 20+ years. It got busted up when the truck was rear ended. Came to find out that most of their Columbia line is now Chinola, so no replacement parts.

Comment

I could offer the bad play on words that vises are one of my vices.

I am attracted to big, heavy vises. I have several. I also have several medium sized Wilton, enclosed screw vises. They are beautiful things.

My great dream is to one day have a huge Wilton, enclosed screw vise. New, the biggest ones are $1,200-$1,400. Where I last worked they had several that I coveted.

I have a welding table that is 4' x 10', made of 7/8" plate, with I-beam legs. I have my two big vices mounted on that. Both of them happen to be Rock Island vises. I don't know how common those are in other parts of the country, but they were once very common here. My guess is that they were made at a foundry in Rock Island, Illinois. Clint Dixon may have a thought on that.

There is a center to any good workshop. It is a bench. That bench must have at least one vise, and it must be substantial. My bench weighs about 1,600 lb., without the vises. I can pull on the handle of one of those vises and the bench will not move.

When I was a kid I spent a lot of time at the farm of my friend Larry. His father had a small, cramped workshop. Along one wall was a small bench that was piled high with every possible thing. On the edge of it was mounted a big harness vise.

All jobs seemed to start and end in that vise. He would often begin a project by clamping it in the vise and we would stand there and look at it. Somehow those were formative experiences for me.

I have been known, on occasion, to go out and just clean and admire my bench. From the current appearance of it, that has been quite a while, as it is difficult to see the top of it just now
      Power Wagon Advertiser monthly magazine, editor & publisher.

Why is it that the inside of old truck cabs smell so good?

Comment

I have just discovered a new thing to want....

http://www.myerstiresupply.com/pls/m...=2601&cart_id=

A Wilton offset vise. I have never seen such a thing, nor have I ever heard of them. Neat.
        Power Wagon Advertiser monthly magazine, editor & publisher.

Why is it that the inside of old truck cabs smell so good?

Comment

Oh yeah! You NEED one of those!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Gordon Maney View Post
            I could offer the bad play on words that vises are one of my vices.

I am attracted to big, heavy vises. I have several. I also have several medium sized Wilton, enclosed screw vises. They are beautiful things.

My great dream is to one day have a huge Wilton, enclosed screw vise. New, the biggest ones are $1,200-$1,400. Where I last worked they had several that I coveted.
            I was fortunate enough to get a top of the line 5 inch Wilton some years ago. The best part was that it was on a 4x8 welding table and the auctioneer didn't care enough about the vise to remove it so I bought the whole shooting match for $25. I think this model goes for $800-900 these days. The screw feels like it's on ball bearings...

Comment

Working...
            X