Kohler Engine

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kohler Engine

Has anyone here done the 12hp bore to 15hp?

Just wondering due to I have an old 1979 Ford 125 riding mower that has the 12hp Kohler (had bad oil ring). So I need to rebuild it anyway. I know lots of the lawnmower racers and pullers (mini rods) have done this. But most of them are still too busy with their season to get advice from them.

I've never done that mod myself, Hawk, but there's lots, more like TONS of great info at Brian Miller's excellent website. He's a real good guy to deal with, is happy to offer free tech advice, and isn't a pirate on prices like most of the others in the tractor racing game. I think he'll even bore your block pretty cheap, ask him.

http://members.aol.com/pullingtractor/tips.htm

I've got a Kohler Magnum 18.5hp twin sitting outside that's getting major mods to go in a tractor. Guys are getting up to 50hp and more from the Kohler twins! I'll be happy with about 35. Haven't decided whether to bolt the 2.2L Mopar turbo on it yet...? :~ )

Comment

Thanks JimmyD

I dropped them a line. So I'll see what advice they have.

Comment

FYI: A straight up bore job runs about $50, and he can bore your connecting rod for bearing inserts for $25, plus about $15 for rod bearings. You'd need a gasket set @ $29, and the piston runs about $50 for a 14hp, or $80 for a 16hp or 18 hp slug. A home valve job would probably suffice unless there's serious seat recession on your exhaust valve.

I consider that Brian posts a lifetime of experience, tips, inside tricks and proven know-how on his site just as a service to anyone that wants to play around with a small engine and/or tractor. Apparently that's just the kind of guy he is! Other shops ask $100-$150 for a bore job and $75 to bore a rod but Brian has decided to offer his shop services at what I consider very reasonable rates. I hope it works out for you two.

Comment

His responce was to read his web site.

I found another running (no problem) 12 hp Kohler that I am going to stick into my ford for now.

Then I will have more time to do things with the one that burns oil.

So JimmyD if you have any other web sites for me to flip threw, send them over. More so if they have supper deals on New Holland / Ford parts.

Its kind of funny too, a friend has two Denmark clutch drives sitting that we were thinking of making pullers out of. And I am working on getting a old cub to do the same.

2 murrys and one MTD for lawnmower racers.

And about 10 more that we are fixing up for regular service (mowing, yard, snowblowing).

Got to stock up on our winter projects (4 go karts, dune buggy, and who knows what else).

Comment

Yeah, there's a lot of fun to be had with these small engines. I rebuilt my first one when I was 12 and ended up hooked for life. Before I moved I gave away all but one in a collection of engines from 1928 on up, plus 39 vintage chansaws! Only kept the Kohler Magnum twin that I refer to as my 'Yard Harley', and it's going into some kind of smile maker.

It takes a full day or more to work through Brian's website once you start clicking on all the hi-lited links. There's no other site with even a fraction of the info on small engines, pulling tractor, lawmower racing tractors and engines. You can call him but if you do please bear in mind he stutters so you have to be patient in conversation. Almost all of his prices are listed on the pages there and the ones I quoted are directly from that website.

Sorry, bro, no Ford New Holland links, but you might see if there's any at Brian's links page. Hah, while you're there also compare other shop's prices for the same work, a real eye opener.

Comment

Working...
            X