Tool storage

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tool storage

Except for a while when I was a kid and had a small, portable box, I have always kept my tools in a roller cabinet with top roller cabinet, and then in later years got an additional roller cabinet.

When I was an automotive instructor, we built a wall mounted cabinet that was about six feet tall and six or so feet wide. The doors opened up and were as deep as the cabinet, so they presented again that much space. I had tools neatly arranged on all of those surfaces. The doors were mounted with large piano hinges, and there were casters under the moving end of each door. It worked really well.

I am wondering out of curiosity how many of you have wall mounted tool arrangements of serious size? Ignoring security, there is a lot to be said for that kind of accessible storage.
    Power Wagon Advertiser monthly magazine, editor & publisher.

Why is it that the inside of old truck cabs smell so good?

I don't have enough walls for the tools I have to store! ha!ha! Seriously I did have that arrangement several years (decades) ago, but found myself walking to the wall more than working. I started out with a small Craftsman chest, advanced to a small Craftsman roll-a-way, and now have my sights set on the Hammerhead stainless steel rolling cabinet that is worth $1,500+ but is sold at COSTCO for under $700. It is the nicest cabinet I have seen, and as a former NASCAR pit crewmember I've seen the best and biggest (some cabinets need their own motors!). A small rolling work table, with a few drawers, is also good for taking a dozen or so tools that you need for a specific task and rolling it with you, right to the work.
    MN

Comment

Hi Norm,
      I saw that cabinet at Costco and it was an instant case of toolbox envy. I tried and tried to rationalize getting it and ended up spending the money on a new set of tires for the PW. I still make a point to visit that isle when in Costco. My insides still get all squidgey thinking about it....
      Tim
      57 Power Wagon
      Numerous Power Wagon parts trucks!
      57 W-100
      60 W-100
      51 M37
      61 Triumph TR-3A
      80 Triumph Spitfire
      09 Dodge Ram 2500HD
      05 Subaru Outback
      10 speed bike
      Hiking Boots

Sumus quod sumus

Comment

Hi Tim!
        It's the doors and drawers! I spend 20 minutes each COSTCO visit, just sliding them in and out, ooh!, aah! gas shocks for the lid, stainless welded handels, locking doors and sections, box liners.....dang my keyboard is shorting out from the drool! ha!ha! Next trip I'm taking my stainless polish, to clean all of the little kid fingerprints off of "my" tool box!
        MN

Comment

U Guys Are 2 Much

Now I gotta get someone to take me to COSTCO!! I still have my first toolbox a craftsman one layer, it has to 35 yo. I do have a newer one, Snap-On 5 draw, new to me 25 years ago.
          I've been waiting for some paint and Hollis to send me his horse shoe<LOL> so I've started to reorganize things in my shop.
          But I need to go to COSTCO, now.......

Comment

Bruce,
            When you go to Costco, My advice to you is this: LEAVE YOUR CHECKBOOK AT HOME!!! Way too much temptation.
            Good luck, Tim
            57 Power Wagon
            57 W-100
            60 W-100
            51 M37
            61 Triumph TR-3A
            80 Triumph Spitfire
            09 Dodge Ram 2500HD
            05 Subaru Outback
            10 speed bike
            Hiking Boots

Sumus quod sumus

Comment

Check Book?

Hey Tim,
              I doubt I will get there anytime soon, anyway! But, who knows, Santa might be needing an idea or two. December 30, I'm legal to drive again.

Comment

I wish my Santa was well off enough to suprise me with that, but I think I will set my sights a bit lower ( and more realisticly for this household) I can almost feel those new socks now.
                Tim
                57 Power Wagon
                57 W-100
                60 W-100
                51 M37
                61 Triumph TR-3A
                80 Triumph Spitfire
                09 Dodge Ram 2500HD
                05 Subaru Outback
                10 speed bike
                Hiking Boots

Sumus quod sumus

Comment

I took MN's advice and picked up one of the SS HammerHead rollaways at COSTCO at the beginning of the summer. It is a great unit. And because I have excess capacity, I can buy more tools.
                  http://www.hammerhead.bz/products_lx.htm

I do use a 4x8 piece of pegboard for things like wrenches, screw drivers, hammers, that I use a lot and like to grab in a hurry. I keep other tools that I have in boxes (drills, sawzall, air hammer, etv.) on a shelf above the tool wall, so I can grab them when needed.

Comment

I have two retired machinists in my...

family. They have always preferred Kennedy.

How do the Costco boxes compare to Kennedy?

Comment

Costco boxes are WAY shinyer!! Who cares about quality?
                      (just kidding), but seriously, I agree with Norm, they seem very well built. Lots of different storage options. Joe, what do you think?
                      Tim
                      57 Power Wagon
                      57 W-100
                      60 W-100
                      51 M37
                      61 Triumph TR-3A
                      80 Triumph Spitfire
                      09 Dodge Ram 2500HD
                      05 Subaru Outback
                      10 speed bike
                      Hiking Boots

Sumus quod sumus

Comment

How About A Picture

Hey Terry,
                        Can you post a picture of the Kennedy box, I am not familar with it, or do they have a web site?

Comment

I meant to do this earlier today....

but forgot about it when my wife entered the room sqawking. (Don't tell her I said that.)

http://www.kennedymfg.com/

These boxes are very common in south TN. My father owns quite a few, many he has been using for years. The drawers are just as smooth as they ever were. My uncle has also used these exclusively in his career. He is located in Cincinnatti.

I have not seen anything Costco in these parts. Those are good looking boxes, though. I may have to try and find a dealer when I get one.

Of course, for the time and money, a Craftsman would work just as well for me. I am not a full time mechanic, and live near Sears stores. While not as heavy duty as the other boxes we are talking about, they are probabley tough enough for me.

Comment

I am not familiar with Costco, I do not think there are any in Iowa.
                            Power Wagon Advertiser monthly magazine, editor & publisher.

Why is it that the inside of old truck cabs smell so good?

Comment

Terry.
                              As much as I covet the Costco box, I am also not a professional mechanic and have several craftsman chests. Everything is well organised in the drawers and has its place. (that means the place the tools are supposed to be when I clean off the bench). That is alot of the reason I couldnt justify the purchase of this big gleaming box, I already have places for most of my mechanics tools. Other than a flashy new box, I wouldnt have been any better off. Besides, The ratty old craftsman boxes go better with my ratty old Dodge.
                              Tim
                              57 Power Wagon
                              57 W-100
                              60 W-100
                              51 M37
                              61 Triumph TR-3A
                              80 Triumph Spitfire
                              09 Dodge Ram 2500HD
                              05 Subaru Outback
                              10 speed bike
                              Hiking Boots