Harpoon Gun

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Harpoon Gun

Someone might find this harpoon gun interesting, It is designed to shoot a 250 lb harpoon from the deck of a whaling ship.
    Built in 1956.
    Attached Files

Rat Wacker?

That's heavy artillery!

Maybe JimmieD could use this for his giant pack rat problem??

Comment

Hah, ya took the words right outta my brain, Longhunter!

That's one slick looking tool, Jake. I can hardly even get a full meal out of a kangaroo rat stew but that bad boy could feed you for months! Is that steam fired, Jake?

Did you hear about the whale that some northern Indians shot with a .50 cal. machinegun recently? I'd say that wasn't their smartest move of late....

Comment

Do you have a picture of the harpoon it shoots?

Wow. That is a big harpoon.
        Power Wagon Advertiser monthly magazine, editor & publisher.

Why is it that the inside of old truck cabs smell so good?

Comment

This gun belongs to a friend of mine, we restored it for him in my shop and he made a promo video for my business. When we finished the project his wife wouldn't let him keep it on the yard so it ended up at my house.

I don't have the harpoon that it's designed to launch, I've been told that it weighs 250 lbs plus the rope that attaches to the rear of it. At the moment it sits above my house and shop overlooking the valley. The bore is 3.5'' and it weighs about 8000 lbs.
          I'll get some pictures of the data plates on it for you.

I hadn't heard about the machine gun whale hunt, it sounds like something that we'd hear about in northern BC.
          Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by JimmieD View Post
            Did you hear about the whale that some northern Indians shot with a .50 cal. machinegun recently? I'd say that wasn't their smartest move of late....
            That story was over hyped Jim. The first reports came from the Clinton News Network, once again inaccurate and erroneous. The weapon wasn't a 50 machine gun, it was a single shot .460 caliber. The tribe is allowed one whale per season, providing they use dugout canoes and spears, they hadn't caught a whale in 7 years, the tribal spirit was wanning and they finally snapped and said screw it, they went out in a motor boat and harpooned the whale 4 times and then shot the whale to put it out. The guy is now in jail and the Japanese and Norwegians continue to hunt.....= )

Comment

Originally posted by Jake View Post
              This gun belongs to a friend of mine, we restored it for him in my shop and he made a promo video for my business. When we finished the project his wife wouldn't let him keep it on the yard so it ended up at my house.

I don't have the harpoon that it's designed to launch, I've been told that it weighs 250 lbs plus the rope that attaches to the rear of it. At the moment it sits above my house and shop overlooking the valley. The bore is 3.5'' and it weighs about 8000 lbs.
              I'll get some pictures of the data plates on it for you.

I hadn't heard about the machine gun whale hunt, it sounds like something that we'd hear about in northern BC.
              Seriously, what was her objection to it? It seems not so different from an antique cannon.

Imagine back when it was just men in small boats with harpoons thrown by hand. Hazardous duty.

....we lost Ned today, a big one ran deep and he was tangled in the line and it took him with it.
              Power Wagon Advertiser monthly magazine, editor & publisher.

Why is it that the inside of old truck cabs smell so good?

Comment

Hey Gordon,
                Can you imagine the adrenalin these guys must have had in the middle of a fight with these great creatures?
                I can;t imagine anyone having an objection to having such a beautiful piece of history in the yard.
                It's allot like an antique canon, we are planning to fire it and will be documenting the whole thing on video.
                In the mean time my neighbors are behaving themselves because it's pointed in their direction.

Comment

I was reading one of the many sail & cruising mags we get as a cordage manufacturer- there was an interesting article about how long whales live- seems to be well over 100 years. One was taken in the mid '70's- it had an Eskimo harpoon head in it dating back to the late 1700's. Another taken in 2004 had an unexploded bomb-type harpoon head from the 1890's.

Comment

Jake, that's a great job ya'll did on the restoration. But, you gotta tell me ... how does it operate...? Is there an explosive charge that launches the harpoon..?

Comment

Awsome!!

Looking forward to a link to the video, we could mount that baby in the front yard here at the farm.
                      Too bad about Ned.........
                      Last edited by Bruce; 09-15-2007, 04:50 PM. Reason: more cyphering

Comment

Lets go hunting

Bring that little pop gun out here to Wyoming and we'll hunt some prarie dogs (grin).
                        Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                        X