Pressure Washer Ideas

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pressure Washer Ideas

I'm looking for some help on selecting a pressure washer that I can use around the house. Not looking at an the electric models, only the gas driven ones. Here are the cleaning uses it is needed for: driveway, brick, metal siding, wood deck, lawn furniture, hardy plank siding, etc. The pressure washer will not be used in commercial service, but will be used more than average residental service. I have done a bit of reseach and decided on a 2500 to 3000 psi unit with about 2.5 gpm. I've read that the Honda GX and Kholer engines are darn good and the Catpump is one of the best. I have to say that the unit will have well water running through it, so I don't want a unit that hard water will cause problems with. I've looked at the DeWalt 3100 which has the Honda GX200 6.5 HP engine and also has the Cat triplex pump. I also looked at the John Deere AC-2700GS which has a Subaru engine. I want something to last me for a good number of years and not a throw away unit. I am willing to spend up to a grand on a quality unit. Any ideas...? And open to all suggestions.

Thanks..

No brand suggestions here, Bosco, but a related experience. A buddy loaned me his pressure washer, under the usual circumstance: "Yeah, it works real good, but you might need to fix the..." He's not devious, and we both agree with these terms, I fix, I use it, I don't fix it, I don't use it, simple.

Anyway he brought a beautiful little machine, very finely made, in Italy. All it needed was some seals in the pump, pump piston, a handle fabbed, etc. Never got to use it: NO PARTS AVAILABILITY!

So, do your homework and research on dealer support, parts availability in the future, and replacement parts cost. Check that it's a model that has been offered for a couple of years and will be offered in the future.

I lean towards Kohler engines for durability and commercial performance. Some of the Honda parts replacement costs are astronomical, but they do offer advanced designs and quiet, efficient operation. Kohler replacements are pricey too, but their designs don't change much so parts are available. I just gave away a couple of '57 & '58 Kohler singles that I could still walk right into the dealers and get factory replacement parts for!

Finally, I suggest that you push the lkimits to get the most machine you can possibly afford. Many pressure washers can't clean any better than a really good high pressure nozzle on a garden hose!

Comment

I think i probably have an average need for a pressure washer - so i bought an inexpensive 4hp 2500psi 2gpm unit and i wish id have purc hached a good nozzle for the garden hose instead - it really is little better than that, plus the detergent dispenser is flawed and no parts availability. I guess my advise is spend the money - i certainly wont go low cost again even for my limited use.

Comment

I agree with you Jimmie on the Kohler engines, they are top rated. I'm sure there are several pw mfgs out there that utilize that engine. The unit I will purchase will either have the Kohler or the Honda engine.

Andrew, I know where your coming from with the inexpensive unit. My wife bought an electric unit 2 years ago and it ain't worth a hoot. Not sure of the specs on it, but that don't matter since it can't deliver the needed pressure.

Any of ya'll have any knowledge of the Catpump..? I have read there are quality.

Comment

For non-commercial, or even commercial work, I wouldn't dis the electric units, as long as you do your homework.
          I had a Coleman unit that was rated at a TRUE 1750 psi and that pressure will cut a hole in a concrete slab and easily puncture siding. I've used gas powered units rated at 3,000 psi that would not work as well. The key is the nozzel and adjustability.

The "ratings" are subjective and arbitrary, so stick with brand names and search the web for product feedback
          Things to look for are one piece metal wands, the cheap, two piece plastic wands will usually blow out the o-ring between the two pieces and constantly leak on you.
          Between the Kohler and Honda, I'd take the Honda. It's quieter and that makes a big difference if you're blasting for hours. Chances are that it is manufactured in the USA Honda engine plant.
          Look at the quality of the hose and fittings, the longer the hose the better, but psi drops at the nozzle, two or more settings for light and full pressure and a variable spray pattern. With all those features you can't go wrong.

Comment

In that respect I agree with Mopar Norm on the Honda. They're fine engines and probably twice as quiet. I really can't see ever wearing out the engine on a presure washer in non-commercial use. I certainly would buy at least one spare complete carburetor kit and fuel pump at time of purchase, and see if they'll throw it in or discount it to sweeten the deal?

Like others have said, and just like with a welder, buy the highest capacity & performance that you can possibly afford. It pays off in the long run.

Comment

Well the wife and I were at a new Home Depot store near us to check out mirrors and light fixtures for our bathroom remodel. While she was looking at the mirrors I decided to take a look at what the store had for pressure washers. There were a few Excell units there, while their engines were Honda they were the GC models and I was leaning more to the GX engines. The Excell units I believe are a Black & Decker product and use a Faip pump. I'm sure Faip makes excellant pumps, but I was looking for a unit that had the Catpump. From the reseach I have done, the Catpump is rated very high. Next to the Excell units were a couple of Dewalt pressure washers, the DP3750 and the Dp3100. I didn't even look very close at the DP3750 because I thought that maybe a bit overkill for my use. However, the 3100 unit was a different story. Ok, here I am checking out this Dewalt pressure washer and guess who comes strolling down the asile .... it's the wife.

Believe it or not, the wife was wanting a more powerful pressure washer for her BIRTHDAY. So as she strolls up, I say what do you think about this unit..? You should have seen her eyes light up. Sold, the DP3100 is now her BD present. Now you gotta love a wife that wants a pressure washer for her BD. When we got it home she wanted to assemble it herself ... ok, no problem it's her BD present. After she put it together and everything was checked out it was time to test this baby out. Wow, this thing kicks a$$. The wife enjoyed it so much she cleaned the whole driveway. The time savings over using the electric unit was amazing. Now she's looking at cleaning the siding on the house next. She's happy, I'm happy ... lol. BD done.

Here's the unit ...

http://www.dewalt.com/us/products/to...roductID=14850

Comment

That looks like a good one.
                What's next, a riding mover or chain saw for the little woman?....= )

Comment

Originally posted by MoparNorm
                  That looks like a good one.
                  What's next, a riding mover or chain saw for the little woman?....= )
                  Thanks Norm, the wifes already got the riding mower .... but the Stihl is all mine. Maybe a tiller next....lol.

Comment

Bosco, that's just great haha! What a fine wife she must be. And what's next? sounds like maybe a D8 Cat, or possibly a nice W-500 for her grocery shopping? She's a keeper, no doubt about it!!!

Comment

Originally posted by bosco View Post
                      Thanks Norm, the wifes already got the riding mower .... but the Stihl is all mine. Maybe a tiller next....lol.
                      Excellent!
                      However that places a great deal of pressure on you to select the proper work gloves for her Birthday and Annivesary gift.....= )

Comment

Working...
                      X