No announcement yet.

Attic insulation and plastic baffles for ventilation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yes, a common problem is the disconnect between theory, product design and practical application.
    The specific details needed, to properly install a product, often end up in the field, simply as, "here, put this in."
    Unless the installer has a total grasp of the concept there are bound to be issues. Compound that by having one trade install the framing, another trade installs the insulation, another trade installs the windows, each one paying no particular attention to the former or next guys issues.

I used to have a real hate for plumbers...= ) a perfect framing job was often hacked to death by the plumber who was cutting out plates, blocks and studs to install their work. They had no regard for the seismic connections, they just wanted to get their work installed and get out of there. Electricians to a lessor degree were the same.
    After I instituted job site meetings with ALL of the trades present, we started receiving a better product.

Comment

Originally posted by MoparNorm View Post
      Yes, a common problem is the disconnect between theory, product design and practical application.
      The specific details needed, to properly install a product, often end up in the field, simply as, "here, put this in."
      Unless the installer has a total grasp of the concept there are bound to be issues. Compound that by having one trade install the framing, another trade installs the insulation, another trade installs the windows, each one paying no particular attention to the former or next guys issues.

I used to have a real hate for plumbers...= ) a perfect framing job was often hacked to death by the plumber who was cutting out plates, blocks and studs to install their work. They had no regard for the seismic connections, they just wanted to get their work installed and get out of there. Electricians to a lessor degree were the same.
      After I instituted job site meetings with ALL of the trades present, we started receiving a better product.

Norm,

You just nailed it! That's why I have so enjoyed working the entire project, from start to finish, myself. Planing everything so that a project comes together with a minimum of carnage and brain damage, and maximun results.

I believe that the building always tells you what is wrong, if you know where to look. I also feel that a given structure will guide you on the methods of it's repair and remodel, that are appropriate for the situation.

What you say about getting everyone on the same page is so importaint! Sadly it seems so hard to attain. I am heartened to find that you recieve such good co-operation from your fellow tradesmen.
      1949 B-1 PW (Gus)
      1955 C-3 PW (Woodrow)
      2001 Dodge 2500 (Dish...formerly Maney's Mopar)
      1978 Suzuki GS1000EC (fulfills the need...the need for speed)
      1954 Ford 860 tractor
      1966 Chrysler LS 16 sailboat (as yet un-named)
      UVA UVAM VIVENDO VARIA FITS

Comment

Originally posted by Cheyenne Dave View Post
        Norm,

You just nailed it! That's why I have so enjoyed working the entire project, from start to finish, myself. ............... I am heartened to find that you receive such good co-operation from your fellow tradesmen.
        It's simple, I'm the General, you want a check at the end of the month, you do it my way....= )

Actually what really works best is sitting down with every Subcontractor Owner and their Foreman. When you explain that it's in their best interest because they will get off of the project sooner, cut down on their overhead and call backs and put more profit in their pocket because of that, then they ALL get real cooperative...= )

I'm not above correcting it myself and back-charging them for it, once they've been stung they know I'm serious and they become great subs. Many of my subs have been with me for 30 + years.

Comment

Working...
        X