Hey! These things really work.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hey! These things really work.

I bought a set of Bolt Grip nut and bolt removers some months ago, and I finally got to try them out on some battery box bolts on the '51 Cub tractor. These 3/8" NF bolts normally take a 9/16" wrench, but some were so badly corroded that a 1/2" wrench would slip right onto them. Well, break out the Bolt Grip sockets and give it a go because the battery box has recesses for the bolts that won't allow a Vice Grip plier to properly grip the heads. All 4 bolts backed right out with not a slip. I was really impressed, because most of these things are mostly gimmicks to separate the gullible (me) from his money. The pictures of the bolt heads speak for themselves. The Cub is almost ready for winter plow duty with freshly mounted modified ATV plow using a cheap electric ATV winch to raise and lower the business end.
    Attached Files

Cool, Russ, thanks! Hey, momma's favorite tractor is looking pretty slick there.

Comment

Voltage ?

Nice job Russ!
      Have you converted your Cub to 12 volt?

Comment

IHC Cub

The Cub was already converted to 12 volt when I got it from Mac from Texas. Pappy Akerman did the welding and fabrication of the plow and winch mounts, my welding looks like pigeon leftovers. All that is left to do is wire it up to the battery, but we are getting snow right now so I better hurry. The next modification is to the seat so it can be flipped up to keep it dry.

Comment

Boy, your nuts look terrible!! Just kidding. Where you get that set at and how much.

Comment

Nice blade

Russ, good job in using the ATV items for the Cub. It would be nice for you to submit your pictures and info on your conversion to the Farmall cub site.
            I am sure it would generate a lot of interest.
            Also, if you have not visited the site, you will find a lot of Cub info and such for yourself. You can also purchase a wider (60") blade there if you need to upgrade.
            farmallcub.com
            Thanks,
            Steve K.

Comment

Replies

I bought a set of the Irwin Bolt and Nut Removers at Smith & Edwards Surplus in Ogden, UT, but I'm sure that they're available at many hardware and housing supply stores. That set was about $20.00 or so.

I'll check the Cub site when things slow down here - been a busy summer.

Comment

We use these removers for these stupid bolts that freeze up on the air dryers on our tanker rigs. We ran into a problem with these 1" dia bolts with a 1/2" hex head freezing up solid and rounding the head. After a trip through the Irwin catalog, we've been breaking these bolts loose with a 1/2" impact gun and these extractors. Absolutely worth every penny.

Comment

Working...
                X