Cutting Sheet Metal by hand...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cutting Sheet Metal by hand...

Someone asked recently, "what's the best way to cut sheet metal and body panels?"

I saw this in action a few days ago and forgot to mention the 'Twin Cutter' from Craftsman as a great little tool. About $160. The two blades counter-rotate, eliminating binding and snagging the metal. A nice clean cut that prevents a lot of "cut repairing" later...

Interesting! How wide of a kerf on material loss?

Comment

About the same as an electric shear, approx 3/16" or less.

Comment

Is this peculiar to Craftsman, or are other power tool manufacturers making something like this?
        Power Wagon Advertiser monthly magazine, editor & publisher.

Why is it that the inside of old truck cabs smell so good?

Comment

I think it's a Craftsman exclusive right now, but the manufacturer usually has rights to sell it under their real name in a few years.
          Many companies build tools for the "Craftsman" tool name.
          Danaher, Dewalt, Stanley and others.

Comment

That's the same color of polymer that Husky uses and their tools are supposedly made in USA.

Comment

Husky is an exclusive Home Depot tool, I couldn't find any onfo at the Husky web site about origin except they have been in business for 55 years. When they don't say proudly made in the USA and are exclusive at the Depot, I wonder about them....although I was surprised to learn that Kobalt (Lowe's) is made by Danaher in the USA.
              Danaher is the same company that makes Craftsman hand tools...and Jacobs drill chucks, Gearwrench tools, K-D tools, Matco, Armstrong Tools and Allen, among others.

Comment

A while back I picked up a Husky pneumatic die grinder and the box said Made in USA. Looked at a couple of items and most, but not all, said USA. Of course nowadays it's even hard to tell what, exactly, a company means by 'Made in USA'.

Comment

That's good to know!

Comment

Originally posted by MoparNorm View Post
                    Husky is an exclusive Home Depot tool, I couldn't find any onfo at the Husky web site about origin except they have been in business for 55 years. When they don't say proudly made in the USA and are exclusive at the Depot, I wonder about them....although I was surprised to learn that Kobalt (Lowe's) is made by Danaher in the USA.
                    Danaher is the same company that makes Craftsman hand tools...and Jacobs drill chucks, Gearwrench tools, K-D tools, Matco, Armstrong Tools and Allen, among others.
                    I noticed that a few months ago. I picked up a Kobalt sliding compound miter saw. Was at Sears a week or so later and noticed the same exact saw with the Craftsman name on it (for $100 more too LOL).

Comment

Originally posted by JimmieD View Post
                      A while back I picked up a Husky pneumatic die grinder and the box said Made in USA. Looked at a couple of items and most, but not all, said USA. Of course nowadays it's even hard to tell what, exactly, a company means by 'Made in USA'.
                      Yep, that box was probably made in the US. Contents, ?????????

Comment

Originally posted by greg rider View Post
                        Yep, that box was probably made in the US. Contents, ?????????
                        I was installing ceiling fans for a customer, they picked out the fans at Lowe's. Both with the same photo on the box, both identical, both with the same SKU number in the Lowe's system, both the same price.
                        Opened up the boxes, one fan was a Hunter, Made in The USA, one was a Hampton, made in china.
                        The Hunter turned out to be, bar none, the best fan I've ever installed, quiet, even on high, smooth, well balanced and very good workmanship. The Hampton?...needless to say we took it back and went through the boxes until we found another Hunter, Made in The USA! = )

Comment

Thanks for the "find" Norm, could be very useful!

Comment

Evolution Rage saw

Got to use one of these this past year: http://www.evolutiononlineshop.com/E...age_Saws~x.cfm

It would glide right through 3/8" steel and even welds easier than a circular saw cutting through plywood. Long straight cuts through sheet metal too. The steel blades are over $40, but can be re-tipped for about $25.

Comment

I have that in a 7-1/2" blade and one in a 10" blade size, they do work well, but be sure to wear long sleeves and eye protection that is bullet-proof! The chips do fly! = )

Comment

Working...
                              X