Air impact wrench

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Air impact wrench

I've a couple of low end tools that serve their purpose, but need an air impact wrench that will spin off the lug nuts on the old trucks. How many foot pounds of torque should I consider the minimum in performance? I'd like something in the $200 or less range. Anything for under two hundred worth picking up? I looked at a craftsman today with 570 ft lbs rated for $150. Chicago Pneumatics are always cheap, but I expect durability and tolerances are poor as well. I'm looking for a 1/2" drive unit. Input will be appreciated.

Ingersoll Rand, 231C 1/2" Impactool, sold at Sears, Lowe's and others. Also sold in other series but all are 600 ft. lbs, Made in the USA and Japan (look for the USA label), they last for decades.
    CP and others are nearly all chinese crap now.
    Buy tools made in the USA, save the job of a fellow American and save your own job and economy in the process.

Comment

We have used Ingersoll-Rand for years, great tools, never replaced one to date. Have a Rockwell that is over 20 years old, still going strong. For stubborn lug nuts you may want to consider a 3/4 drive tool, thats what we commonly use on lug nuts, the larger sockets that fit Dodge lug nuts will be 3/4 drive. If you use an adapter to reduce it to fit a 1/2 drive tool, you will lose a lot of back off torque by using an adapter, can easily make the difference in having enough torque to do the job. We use it a lot on tear down also, has the power to leave the 1/2 drive tools in the dust.

Comment

Forgot to mention that the IR replaced a 50 year old Rockwell that was also Made in the USA. It began to leak oil about 10 years ago and I couldn't find parts for it.
        I bought the 1/2" drive Rockwell and a 3/8" drive racket style Rockwell for $20 at a garage sale in the 70's.....= )
        They are great for tight areas.
        I also have a 3/4" drive that I rarely use...Charles might like it,...but the dang thing weighs about 45 lbs....ha! ha!

Lug nuts? How you possibly have any issues with lug nuts???

Comment

Needs adjusting

Originally posted by MoparNorm View Post
          Forgot to mention that the IR replaced a 50 year old Rockwell that was also Made in the USA. It began to leak oil about 10 years ago and I couldn't find parts for it.
          I bought the 1/2" drive Rockwell and a 3/8" drive racket style Rockwell for $20 at a garage sale in the 70's.....= )
          They are great for tight areas.
          I also have a 3/4" drive that I rarely use...Charles might like it,...but the dang thing weighs about 45 lbs....ha! ha!

Lug nuts? How you possibly have any issues with lug nuts???
          Looks like the tire on that rim you're trying to get off might need a little minor adjustment. Is that 45lb. torque wrench the one you are holding onto?

Comment

Ha!
            No, that is my carburetor adjusting tool, it can also be used for those little screws in your eyeglasses....= )

Comment

Originally posted by MoparNorm View Post
              Ha!
              No, that is my carburetor adjusting tool, it can also be used for those little screws in your eyeglasses....= )
              Sounds really versatile.

Comment

nice precision adjustment tool...

du u keep it in one of them thar green felt lined, oak varnished tool chest..

or just stik it in yer pocketsaver ???

Comment

I keep it in my toothpick pouch...

Comment

Toothpick pouch? Didn't know anyone had those anymore. How old are you Moparnorm? lol

BTW, I ordered a IR 231HA, as well as some other goodies to use with it. Appreciate the input guys!

Comment

Sure, the pouch is built into my mini Swiss Army Knife...= )

Comment

Impact Wrench.. Blasphemy! A good length of pipe and a wrench will get you everywhere!

Comment

Working...
                        X