Life is beautifull.....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Life is beautifull.....

Even when the weather is'nt!!!! Latest pictures of the shop. That's me up on the peak. As of today, it's got plywood on the roof. After the Holiday I'll paper it and put the metal on the roof.

Nice toy box!...You WILL deck it before papering, right?! ;-)
    1949 B-1 PW (Gus)
    1955 C-3 PW (Woodrow)
    2001 Dodge 2500 (Dish...formerly Maney's Mopar)
    1978 Suzuki GS1000EC (fulfills the need...the need for speed)
    1954 Ford 860 tractor
    1966 Chrysler LS 16 sailboat (as yet un-named)
    UVA UVAM VIVENDO VARIA FITS

Comment

What do you mean by "deck it"?

I kind of went different from the instructions on it. It originally calls for Metal Building insulation to be rolled over the wood that you see there, and then the Metal roof and siding over that.

MBI has a R value of about 7, so I did something a bit different. I found a good deal on 3/8 Mil Cert Plywood, so I put that down on the roof.
      Now before you say UHH OHH! you need to be using 5/8! Remember the building dosent call for any plywood at all, just the insulation, and the metal...
      So what I'm doing is basicly using the 3/8 to hold up the felt, and it does give a bit more rigidity to the roof if I ever have to walk up on it.
      Then I'm going back inside and putting the batten, type insulation in the 2x8 purlin voids that has a R21 value. It's a bit more money and a lot more work, but better insulation means more efficent heating.
      I'm still deciding how to do the walls. Since I do a lot of welding and cutting, I dont want anything exposed that's too flamable.
      Any ideas?

Comment

Sounds like a good system. The plywood will improve the strength of the building against wind.

Have you looked into a bib insulation system? If you ask around, you may find someone near you who does it, or leases the equipment. It should prove to be a big labor saver and will be a higher performance system.

As you look at the attachment, you will see a close mesh fabric. It is stretched across the face of the studs, or in your case, the perlins. Then the insulation (a fine fiberglass) is blown into the "Bibbed" compartments. It insulates totally around wire, pipes, etc, with no voids. That is very difficult to do well with glass. It would work great in conjuntion with the plywood deck, too. You'll probably need a scissor lift for a weekend, but like Norm says..."spend it like ya got it!"

I'd be interested in hearing how this system stacks up performance/price-wise as compared to batts. It certanly will result in a "tighter" roof system.

The shop I work in is a pole barn with metal siding and roof. I have slowly been insulating the walls (the roof was already done) with glass then covering it up. I've been using O.S.B for the 1st virtical 4', and then sheet rock to the ceiling. We do a lot of fabrication, welding and flame cutting, and this system has worked well. The O.S.B is there to provide protection from punture due to "stupid-headedness" and other accidental damage. It also provides 100% attchment capability for screwing various do-dads anywhere on the wall.

Once you have the ceiling insulated and covered, you can take your time with the walls. Our shop has been standing for around 30 years with only the ceiling done...ya don't want to rush into things, ya know...
        Keep in touch!

DAB
        Attached Files
        1949 B-1 PW (Gus)
        1955 C-3 PW (Woodrow)
        2001 Dodge 2500 (Dish...formerly Maney's Mopar)
        1978 Suzuki GS1000EC (fulfills the need...the need for speed)
        1954 Ford 860 tractor
        1966 Chrysler LS 16 sailboat (as yet un-named)
        UVA UVAM VIVENDO VARIA FITS

Comment

Jonas...

,,it looks a little drafty!! ha!ha!
          Get that roof on!
          = )
          MN

Comment

I can't believe you created all that sawdust. And why is it white?

Reference protecting the walls from welding and cutting... it looks like you will have room to build a dedicated welding booth where you could use standard galvanized corrugated siding to line the bottom of the walls. There would be no load conditions so you could use the lightest (least inexpensive) product available.

If not a booth, just line the walls in any area you expect might need protection.

An alternative to protecting the walls is to weld up a couple screens using pipe or angle iron frames with the light corrugated siding. You can move them around as needed to protect walls, equipment, and vehicles. I have found that a dedicated welding area is never where the things I need to weld are located - and there's always someting else in that space.

By the way, when I built the new Museum building, the first thing I put in was a washroom in case I ever bought "one truck too many" and needed a place to stay if I was kicked out of the house.

Enjoy the building. Looks like you are doing it right. I'm always surprised how many do not have a place to work, right tools, or a way to transport their projects.

Comment

Paul, your last sentence describes me to a tee :-) Kurt

Comment

Life is.......

Jonas,
                Ever since I saw the slab picture, I had visions of the completed product. I am impressed. Wish I had some good advice for you on materials. I am in a 22x22 attached garage so I'm not the one you want building advice from. I often think about big shops right after I whack my head on a hanging bicycle or sidestep that must have FisherPrice plastic toy. In short, I await more updates from your neck of the woods. You da man.

Comment

Hey, Kurt

See my post in the "wire harness and cab swap" thread. It's about coming together and supporting each other.

When I was young, strong, flexible, and could see, all the tools I owned were in one of those small, silver, Craftsman toolboxes that I carried in the trunk of my car.

Now I'm old, need glasses, and cannot get on the floor between those five levers and the seat without wondering if I will need a 9-1-1 call to get me out.

I had a stroke last year but have recovered exceptionally well. Now I'm dealing with arthritis. I am not complaining in any way. I feel blessed when I look at friends and acquaintances who have serious medical problems and a few that died much younger than I am. (I turn 66 on Saturday.)

I am also blessed when I look at my ability to continue with my POWER WAGON collecting. I have a 24' x 24' workshop with an air compressor and air tools, a stick and a wire welder, OxAcetyline cutting and welding set, four or five hydraulic jacks, lots of jack stands, a 48" wide blasting cabinet, and tools - and tools.

I have about $2000 worth of Dodge/MOPAR service manuals, Army technical manuals, MOPAR and Army parts lists, various history books, restoraion guides, and other references.

Add to that the priceless experience I've had working on cars and trucks since the early fifties in both civilian life and the Army.

I transport trucks on a 42' gooseneck, or a 18' car hauler pulled by my Dodge CTD. I have a 9000# electric winch on a portable receiver hitch mount that fits into a receiver built onto the gooseneeck hitch in the bed. I can pull anything that rolls on to either of my trailers - or yours if we are pulling it behind my Dodge.

And to top all this off, I have just completed and am moving into my 50' x 60' Museum display building.

It seems there should be a tax on "hobby success" that would benefit the younger enthusiasts who will be working on one of my trucks when my ashes are being used to soak up oil spills on my shop floor.

I am thrilled when I find new POWER WAGON enthusiasts out there who do not have all the things I have, but are doggedly moving forward with their old trucks. I wish all us "old timers" could have the chance to share our facilities and experience.

That's why I support seeing real names and specific locations of Forum members and visitors to make it easy for all of us to get together. After all, we are a large and great support group.
                  Last edited by Paul Cook; 12-24-2003, 12:49 PM.

Comment

I know what you mean about being young, strong and flexible. I used to be that too :-) I'm a month away from 49 and it sure seems like I used to be able to do a lot more w/o the aches and pains afterward. I guess we are all headed in the same direction :-) Your set up looks great. Maybe some day I will have a shop but unless I hit the lottery(which I don't play) it's not going to happen while I'm still in SoCal. I'm still having a lot of fun and meeting a lot of great people becuase of old Dodge trucks. Talk to you later. Kurt

Comment

Ha! Ha!

Tell me about it Kurt! (You'd be surprised to know that Ed B. has room for two more trucks in his 6 Power Wagon garage! For those of you who don't know Ed, he has a three car SoCal Garage with 6 trucks in it!!!!)
                      I almost had a half acre this last Spring, but Chinese "Investors" aced me out after 90 days in escrow.......
                      Paul, God Bless! I too know the frustration of finally being able to have the time of working on my "toys" but it is not fun to no longer see close up, have the body put in an 8 hour day without complaining, or find yourself unable to work for days when the 'old' body rebels!!Not complaining either, just one of life's little hurdles.
                      I guess the whole point of this post is to admire Jonas for getting his hobby going while he is young and can still have all of that energy and enthusiasm!!!
                      Merry Christmas!

Comment

Working...
                      X