New project!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New project!

Just thought I'd post a bit about a nice find I had. I've been looking for another table saw for my shop so that I could have one set up to cut and one for dados (might seem like overkill, but for production it's the cat's pajamas - saves a lot of time).
    I found a 1938 Craftsman 10" table saw on craigslist for $50 with a bum motor. I set up an appointment. Table saw came with three solid cast iron extensions and one wooden extension (not installed in the picture).

It's in great shape. Very minor rust, everything but the motor is in great shape (it looks great, but doesn't work). I brought the motor to a local shop that has experience with older motors and am awaiting a diagnosis.

The former owner bought it from the original owners wife. The original owner built the cabinet and the extension table. He certainly had pride in his saw. He painted the cabinet in a matching blue and added silver pin striping. I had to cut four inches off the bottom so that it would match my other saw's height.

Now I just have to find room for the 40 year old lathe I just picked up too!

More pics....

close up, underneath

neat vernier dial type fence

close up of fence

Comment

a few more...

motor detailing

more nice detailing on motor

SKF, in business since 1907!

Comment

Nice find!
        I too have been looking around for a Craftsman lathe in my area. I think I have found an old one made by South Bend.

Comment

Nice find Bobby Mike,
          I like the look of the cabinet as well.

Comment

Mighty nice addition to the shop there, BobbyMike! The difference in quality of old vintage equipment is simply amazing.

Unless you want to keep the saw all original I'd suggest an upgrade to a recent 220V motor. There have been huge changes in electric motors in 70 years and there's no comparison in efficiency. That increase in efficiency also translates into considerably lower operating costs because energy comsumption may be less than 1/2 of the antique original. In addition a new motor has much less chance of starting a nasty fire in the woodshop!

A really good shop could stuff later guts in the old motor housing, or use a new housing & motor installed into your mounting frames, and few would know the difference. That or install a new motor and save the old for a possible complete restoration in another day. I'd consider upgrading any switches also, possibly adding safety switches as needed.

Comment

May I humbly suggest another safety change? Seems that the grinder might best be lowered to tabletop level? With it set at current height if a piece being worked got grabbed in and ejected it could end up in your face, neck or lung, where as sitting lower it's more likely to do less permanent damage.

Is that a box full of clog lasts in that one picture?

Comment

I have the same EXACT saw. One of the lead screws is a bit bent so the the hand wheel gets stiff at a few points, but otherwise it's a great little saw. Hard to beat cast iron. Enjoy.

Comment

Safety first....

Thanks for the advice.

I've been thinking about converting some of my tools over to 220v for just the reasons you've mentioned Jimmie. I'm actually going to rewire my shop later this year (starting with a separate breaker box). I'll re-visit the idea then.

I don't actually use the grinding wheel. I use the wire brush to clean up rust from metal. 99% of the time I use vise-grips to hold the piece (and wear a face shield). I also can't see things at waist level that well, I guess it's time for new glasses.

Those are shoe lasts. I learned boot making from Randall Merrell out in Utah about 16 years ago. I picked up the lasts from a guy last month. There were originally from a now defunct shoe factory in Williamstown, Mass. I was planning on fooling around a bit again with shoe making. I made four pairs of boots in Vernal. I still have the pair of cowboy boots I made then. My wife stopped wearing the hiking boots I made for her because her feet spread after the kids were born. The other two pairs were in storage and got moldy, I had to toss them. :(

Comment

I wondered on the lasts because only one pair really looked like clogs. I thought maybe boots, but figured a guy doing home hobby stuff wouldn't dream of trying to pound out boots. Hmmmm, I figured wrong!

Soon to be a lost art in America as very few left, thanks to the Chinese sellout of America. You never cease to amaze, Bobby Mike, never cease to amaze :~ )

Oh, and I noticed something else on the kids thing back then: wife's feet spread out, got a little flatter, but not near so much as my walley did, YIPES! But no more valuable investment anywhere....

Comment

I figured that the wider feet just made moms more steady on their feet and better able to roll with the (figurative) punches....

Comment

Nice Catch

Hey BobbyMike,
                        I had a Craftsmen table saw, similar, but a little newer, the fifties I think? I traded it to my knife dealer/sharpening dealer, he did every knife, mower, bush hog I owned for five years. Wish I still had that saw sometimes. I did learn how to do my own mower sharpening. I to noticed the lasts in the box, I made hats/visors, sandals and belts for years, an old hippy I am I guess? ;~P

Comment

My father's table saw looked like that. I had it for years, then gave it to a former student. He still has it. Seeing your posts caused me to want it back. :-) hahaha.

It had an 8 inch blade, as I recall, and was underpowered for ripping wood that had internal stresses.
                          Power Wagon Advertiser monthly magazine, editor & publisher.

Why is it that the inside of old truck cabs smell so good?

Comment

Now ya went and reminded me of a 'mom'. Stopped at a pizza parlor with a woman and here girl, pizza and suds. Girl was a knockout and ma wasn't any too shabby.

A construction crew came in and it wasn't their first stop. After they poured down a few pitchers one of the guys who had been making loud comments about the girl came over, not too steady on his feet. He made a fairly obscene suggestion and mom stood up and told him to shove off. She had a gruff voice from years of working in ship yards.

"Yeah, what'reyagona do about it buddy!?" She came up with a roundhouse, knocked him over the next table and out cold. "And it ain't buddy, it's ma'am, jerk!"

I knew I didn't have to even get up when I saw it coming, knew her well, everybody just called her 'Mom'.

Comment

Working...
                            X