X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

...another tool co. heard from

Originally posted by MoparNorm View Post
    Ha! Ha!
    I was removing a 2" fire sprinkler pipe, it was 55 years connected, so it didn't want to budge. I placed my 30" pipe wrench on it, helped by a 10' piece of pipe that took two of us to lift over the handle, it seemed to work fine.....= )
    ... from the " PERSUADER TOOL CO " I'll bet... ; > )

Comment

Originally posted by rickt4498 View Post
      ... from the " PERSUADER TOOL CO " I'll bet... ; > )
      They do make the best :-D

Comment

craftsman

i broke my rachet, and instead of giving me a new one, they gave me a rebuild kit. i argued with them, and they said tuff luck. i went to another sears and got a new rachet and kept the rebuild kit.

a tape measure i bought from them lasted 1 month before screwing up, and when i went to return it, the assoc. said tape measures aren't covered by any warranty, but he gave me a new one anyway. i assured him my craftsman buying tool days were over. i went to lowes and bought the same size tape measure for 1/2 the price, AND it had a stainless steel tape. lowes tools are marked with a HASSLE FREE lietime guarantee. i wonder if this is to draw irate sears customers in to their store.

Comment

Originally posted by the engineer View Post
          i broke my rachet, and instead of giving me a new one, they gave me a rebuild kit. i argued with them, and they said tuff luck. i went to another sears and got a new rachet and kept the rebuild kit.

a tape measure i bought from them lasted 1 month before screwing up, and when i went to return it, the assoc. said tape measures aren't covered by any warranty, but he gave me a new one anyway. i assured him my craftsman buying tool days were over. i went to lowes and bought the same size tape measure for 1/2 the price, AND it had a stainless steel tape. lowes tools are marked with a HASSLE FREE lietime guarantee. i wonder if this is to draw irate sears customers in to their store.
          Sears will give you a replacement "tape" only if the tip breaks off. If the tape breaks anywhere else, too bad. If the tip breaks they give you the new "tape" and you have to install it yourself. If the lock or the body fail you will get a "rebuilt" one that come from other than USA!!!! Pure BS!!! New ones are yellow and replacements are red. I had a 100' closed reel Craftsman tape and the rewind handle broke,"Not made anymore, here is a Stanley or you can have $19.95 in cash." See ya, took the money and got a Starett. Ever notice that Sears brand shovels have a wood handle and Craftsman have a fiberglass one? Reason is that landscapers were busting handles and getting new ones every week. Craftsman handles are tougher and twice the price. I am a little leary about Kobalt hand tools as I am unsure of country-of-origin.

Comment

Originally posted by greg rider View Post
            ... I am a little leary about Kobalt hand tools as I am unsure of country-of-origin.
            Most Kobalt hand tools come down the line in the Danaher Manufacturing Plant in the USA, right besides the Craftsman Tools that are made in the same factory.
            As always, check the country of origin on the label.

Comment

Originally posted by MoparNorm View Post
              Most Kobalt hand tools come down the line in the Danaher Manufacturing Plant in the USA, right besides the Craftsman Tools that are made in the same factory.
              As always, check the country of origin on the label.
              Good to know. I also found out that NAPA brand tools are from the same line as Craftsman. Local store got in a wrench set and it had a Craftsman mixed in with the NAPA wrenches. I also have a Craftsman wrench from YEARS ago and it is stamped "Made in Japan". I dont use it as I want to save it as blackmail against them when needed!

Comment

OEM brand??? SNAFU.... HELP

today, 5/16, my oldest son Jeff,wanted to do a compression check on his mid 90's BMW 318i.

we rented a comp tool kit from AUTOZONE labeled OEM #XXXX because the plugs are recessed in 3" tubes in the valve cover, too deep for a standard comp tool.

When attempting to remove the second plug, the metal crimp fitting attached to the long hose began to spin in the threaded plug hole fitting.

Applying upward pressure on the hose and spinning the hose to loosen the plug fitting = hose spins

Jeff seems to think tube is part of head casting, from memory of previous valve cover removal.

any suggestions...

BTW...engine is 4 cyl 1.8 or 1.9 not sure

feelin' stupid...

Comment

Sounds like a set-up similar to hemi heads. I had an old A100 van with a slant 6 and seems like it had some tubes that the plugs were in, but they were held on by the plug itself....Don't know anything about BMW, would removing the valve cover gain anything?

Comment

spinning comp gauge

712edf... we removed a black plastic trough which revealed nothing. valve or cam cover is a large aluminum piece held in by roughly 12 bolts.

It was Sat evening @6:30 pm, under a carport, with no service manual for reference, or any replacement gaskets, so we held off before tearing into it.

We both had different commitments for Sunday, and the car is not his current daily driver for another 10 days, so we helf off for more research, before running amok.

Jeff is researching on e-net for a good illustration.

Comment

Working...
                    X