New body tool works great

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New body tool works great

I add to my bodywork tools from time to time and each new tool helps make each job much easier. After the Boy Scout motto of Be Prepared I live by "Work smarter, not harder". My latest new trick tool for removing dents is the bullseye pick. I got it from Eastwood Company from their weekly daily specials via email. I've been wanting to get one so with a few bucks off I ordered one. I had the chance to use it this past weekend for the first time and after the first dent magically disappeared from my fender all I could think was, why didn't I buy one sooner? This tool is so easy to use to raise those dents that are hard to get with a regular dolly and hammer. I was working on a Utiline fender trying to get those pesky little dents out with conventional methods. After a few exactly placed hits with the bullseye pick I no longer have to reach for the filler. It places the tip exactly on the dent to be raised thereby giving it it's name, bullseye. A few squeezes with the handle and your dent is no more. I went a bit further and raised a larger area by working around the edges and this dent also was back to the proper level. I think this will be my demonstration topic at the PW rally next week.

Is this tool for removing dents left by hammer work? It apparently strikes, not pulls, a dent?

I have a billion raised dimples from hammering the Town Wagon fender from a forward crushed, accordioned triangle sticking out from the side of the truck after the second rear-ender in 3 months! Last hit was a '06 1 ton Ford 4X4 doing 25 mph when he impacted.

It now has most all the normal contour again but metal is stretched and dimpled. Considering the extent of damage before, completely hopeless it seemed, I'm happy, but needs more. Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by Ron in Indiana View Post
      I add to my bodywork tools from time to time and each new tool helps make each job much easier. After the Boy Scout motto of Be Prepared I live by "Work smarter, not harder". My latest new trick tool for removing dents is the bullseye pick. I got it from Eastwood Company from their weekly daily specials via email. I've been wanting to get one so with a few bucks off I ordered one. I had the chance to use it this past weekend for the first time and after the first dent magically disappeared from my fender all I could think was, why didn't I buy one sooner? This tool is so easy to use to raise those dents that are hard to get with a regular dolly and hammer. I was working on a Utiline fender trying to get those pesky little dents out with conventional methods. After a few exactly placed hits with the bullseye pick I no longer have to reach for the filler. It places the tip exactly on the dent to be raised thereby giving it it's name, bullseye. A few squeezes with the handle and your dent is no more. I went a bit further and raised a larger area by working around the edges and this dent also was back to the proper level. I think this will be my demonstration topic at the PW rally next week.
      Ya know Ron, I was going to get one of those, but I thought about the dents on JimmieD's truck and figured that as soon as I have one, he will be hitting me up to come up to his place and fix his dents, sure glad he didn't see this post.......................= )

Comment

Originally posted by JimmieD View Post
        Is this tool for removing dents left by hammer work? It apparently strikes, not pulls, a dent?

I have a billion raised dimples from hammering the Town Wagon fender from a forward crushed, accordioned triangle sticking out from the side of the truck after the second rear-ender in 3 months! Last hit was a '06 1 ton Ford 4X4 doing 25 mph when he impacted.

It now has most all the normal contour again but metal is stretched and dimpled. Considering the extent of damage before, completely hopeless it seemed, I'm happy, but needs more. Thanks!
        Jimmie, yes it does the same a pick hammer by raising the dents from below but with it you know exactly where it's going to hit. It sounds like you need a slap file or a shrinking hammer to try to shrink the stretched metal. If you can get the shape close but still have a large bulge in areas, a torch used carefully will shrink the metal back. I heat to the size of a quarter at most and allow it to cool and if it's really bad a cool wet rag will suck it right back. I'm sure you've shrunken spots like that before. A little goes a long way.

Comment

Norm, what better place to practice than Jimmie's TW? It really does a great job and it allowed me to metal finish the fender instead of using filler which always preferable. If I were to order one again I would have gotten the 30" model for the extra reach. They do offer sets of 3 sizes too.

Comment

This thread is no good without pictures...
            Power Wagon Advertiser monthly magazine, editor & publisher.

Why is it that the inside of old truck cabs smell so good?

Comment

I try to do what I can but you're working with the computer inept here when it comes to the picture business. I've posted pictures before but I have yet to be able to retrieve pictures that are stored on this site. It just comes up with a message about this picture has already been posted. Perhaps a lesson for those of us who are better at popping dents and working on trucks than at posting pictures. I'm always willing to learn too. Say maybe a demonstration at the PW rally is in order hmmmm...

Comment

I try to do what I can but you're working with the computer inept here when it comes to the picture business. I've posted pictures before but I have yet to be able to retrieve pictures that are stored on this site. It just comes up with a message about this picture has already been posted. Perhaps a lesson for those of us who are better at popping dents and working on trucks than at posting pictures. I'm always willing to learn too. Say maybe a demonstration at the PW rally is in order hmmmm...
                I am unsure as to what you are meaning by this.

Comment

Picture

I believe this is the tool...
                  from the Eastwood website.

Pieter

http://www.eastwoodco.com/images/us//local/products/detail/p19.jpg[/URL]

Comment

I saw a couple of those sell at an auction once, years ago. I think at that time they were called a roof pick. It eliminates making new dents that you don't want.... when you miss the dolly.

Comment

Jimmie, yes it does the same a pick hammer by raising the dents from below but with it you know exactly where it's going to hit. It sounds like you need a slap file or a shrinking hammer to try to shrink the stretched metal. If you can get the shape close but still have a large bulge in areas, a torch used carefully will shrink the metal back. I heat to the size of a quarter at most and allow it to cool and if it's really bad a cool wet rag will suck it right back. I'm sure you've shrunken spots like that before. A little goes a long way.
                      Okay, sounds good. I figured on the torch. Maybe due to the huge surface involved I can get most of it that way, heating each dent and quenching. Just have to get out there and do it. Obviously a cinch that mean old Mopar Norm ain't gonna come do it for me, rats! :~ (

Comment

Originally posted by JimmieD View Post
                        Okay, sounds good. I figured on the torch. Maybe due to the huge surface involved I can get most of it that way, heating each dent and quenching. Just have to get out there and do it. Obviously a cinch that mean old Mopar Norm ain't gonna come do it for me, rats! :~ (
                        Ha! Ha!
                        Actually I DID come up there, just to fix your truck, but I couldn't find it?????

According to my calculations, it should have been somewhere near where I took this photo????

Comment

Originally posted by pieter View Post
                          I believe this is the tool...
                          from the Eastwood website.

Pieter

http://www.eastwoodco.com/images/us//local/products/detail/p19.jpg[/URL]
                          That would be the one. I tried to do that but my good buddy Pieter bailed me out again. It does place the point of impact precisely on target.

Comment

Seriously, Norm, I did lose it in the woods once. The truck, I mean the truck. A last glint of setting sunlight caught a chrome headlight door and meant I didn't have to sleep on bare ground in bear grounds!

Cool looking tool, Ron & Pieter, but no good on Town Wagon body sides, not enough reach. Oh well, break out the torch....

Comment

Working...
                            X