An idea for moveable storage for tools and such

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• An idea for moveable storage for tools and such

In my shop I like to have the ability to move stuff around to clean and change the floor plan quickly if called for. Needed more storage and watched roll a round cabinets but frankly, they cost too much for what they are. I started looking for Stanely Vidmar cabinets as the have ten bearings per drawer and have a 400 lb capicity for EACH drawer. Finally got 5 of them at an auction with contents and put 3 of them on a roll cart I made for them. Turned out pretty nice and have about a 1/3 of the money that a quality roll a round goes for and have 3 times the storage. End product measures 52" X 27" X 90". Yes, I did put pulling eyes on the cart as when gets loaded up, shall we say, it may be a "little" heavy. ;) If you aren't familiar with these check out the last pic as all the drawers are predrilled with hundreds of holes in the bottom that allow you just about any combination of drawer divider sizes. Kevin
    Attached Files

Boy some guys have all the cool toys. LOL Fills the bill and doesn't break the bank, what more can you ask for except where does a guy find these drawer sections? I too cringe at the price of a good rollaround, GOOD being the key word. Looks like you have it covered, by the way how deep are the drawers? That would work good in a fancy pole barn in MA if the barn had a floor.

Comment

Ron,
      The drawers have a 25 1/2" depth to them and they come completely open as you can see in the last pic in the original post. MSC sells the partitions and you'd probably have to but those as those would be hard to make with all those slots and bends. In the catalog they average about $8.00/pc. The smaller divides you can make out of sheet aluminum, some of mine are that. I got lucky as there was a lot of dividers in mine and keeping the extras to see where I might use them.

They make three heights of these- 33", 44" and 59" tall. I got 2 - 33's and the 3 - 44's. I see in the catalog they get around $1500.00/pc for a 7 drawer model new(ouch!). I got all 5 with contents for 1/2 the price of one new at that rate including the buyers premium and sales tax so you can get them reasonable if your willing to do some work. These looked terrible as it took a whole bottle of degreaser per cabinet and then I lubed all the bearings, took off all the handles, wiped down with laquer thinner then rolled them with Rustoleum. Don't laugh, it holds up great and looks factory as well. Some of the drawers had a lay in divider system to and I'll add a pic of that. You could get some REAL tiny parts there.

I figure that barn in MA will have wooden cabinets everywhere ;) It's a beauty, that's for sure. Are they ever big enough though?

Last pic is the contents of 1 of the cabinets. There are seven 2 inch drill bits and it goes down from there. This was a Nationally advertised auction so you can still get deals if you look ;) Kevin
      Attached Files

Comment

Yeah.....those sure are nice!....maybe some little off road tires will work 'till I pour the floor......

Comment

moveable tool boxes

Kevin in ohio... great looking storage unit. Is the base a perimeter frame or ??? looks like you allotted for a lot of weight.

would u explain the base, please.

Comment

I made the frame out of 3/8" X 2 1/2" X 3 1/2 angle iron. Notch welded the corners for more strength and ground the outside smooth. I've made quite a few of these and always use the same size casters. (6" X 2") Pick them up from a surplus store near Ron in Indiana! (Everything's cheaper in Indiana...right Ron! I got a pattern for the bolt holes and drill that out and pound in carriage bolts and weld the heads so you can change them out if something goes wrong.

The cabinets themselves have box beams on the bottom so they can be lifted with a small set of forks but this spreads the load out nicely on the angle iron. Probably could get away with casters just on the corners but I know how I am! Kevin
            Attached Files

Comment

tool box cart

Kevin...thanks for the quick response and detailed pics...
              i need some carts for my craftsman cabinets and yours are a great pattern.

thanks, rick

Comment

Hey Rick,

At some point I'll be heading down to Ron's, if you want me to
                find you these casters and bring you up a set I could.

That is a great set of boxes...

Pieter

Comment

tool cart casters

PIETER...hey, that's a great offer... do u want the $$ before u go...
                  or upon your return... either way is okay
                  thanks, rick

Comment

Originally posted by pieter View Post
                    Hey Rick,

At some point I'll be heading down to Ron's, if you want me to
                    find you these casters and bring you up a set I could.

That is a great set of boxes...

Pieter
                    Save room for some tires!

Comment

Originally posted by OLD DODGE View Post
                      Save room for some tires!
                      Thats the trip I'm talking about....

I guess we need to find out where these Casters by Ron are bought...

Comment

Whats Going On Here?

This is starting to look like the Michigan Thread? ;~)
                        Last edited by Bruce; 06-26-2008, 03:22 PM. Reason: more cyphering

Comment

I'm curious myself where he got them.

Comment

Schroeders Surplus and Store up north of him on I-69. It's between Angola and Auburn on the East side of the highway and you can see it from the highway. I don't know the exit but there is a trucking company there with LOTS of gravel trucks and BIG buildings. They were $15.99 each and there phone number is 260-587-3031. Kevin

Comment

Kevin, that has to be the Ashley exit which has the smiley face on the town's water tower on the west side of I 69.

Comment

Working...
                              X