New toy, er tool!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New toy, er tool!

Among the many purchases I'll need for this truck, and future projects I've yet to start, a welder was floating near the top. So after much research and shopping I ended up with this one as a birthday present to myself.

http://www.hobartwelders.com/product...ed/handler187/

Haven't had a chance to hook it up yet. Have to run the circuit and install the 220V plug. I'm definitally going to want to invest in a cart though, this thing is heavy!

Welder

D61, nice welder, you will be very happy with your choice. these small welders have helped many do it yourselfers build some really nice stuff!! one thing though, put it on gas!! and forget the flux core. I weld for a living and the first order of buisness when I got mine was to throw the roll of flux core that came on the machine in the trash. put on a roll of solid wire and don't look back!! Dave.

Comment

Dave's Right

And Happy Birthday!

Comment

Thanks, so far I like it. I did pick up a gas bottle and some solid wire but I haven't started welding with it yet. I have been playing with the flux core wire on some scap metal, and some smaller projects first.

I read the flux core is better on heavier gauge welds so I used it for some of the frame repairs. It worked pretty well but I definitely need some more practice, luckily Mig is fairly forgiving.

Comment

What is the advantage of the gas. I have had a Lincoln wire for a few years and use the flux core it seems to work ok.

Comment

I'm not a pro welder like PWDave but from my experience when welding sheet metal using gas is the only way to go. It is much cleaner as far as spatter goes with gas over flux core. I to had a coil of flux core that came with my Hobart but I only tried for a bit. After I switched to gas I pitched the flux core in the cabinet for emergencies when I run out of gas.

Comment

Less Problems

Less likely-hood of burn through w/the inert gas, listen to me, I sound like a weldor or something?

Comment

welder

cleaner, no smoke, (easier to see what & where you are welding) NO clean-up, and you can get smaller wire. makes it easier to weld thinner stuff. if you change over to gas and solid wire you will never go back, and you will wonder why you didn't do it sooner!! Dave.

Comment

Originally posted by pwdave View Post
                  cleaner, no smoke, (easier to see what & where you are welding) NO clean-up, and you can get smaller wire. makes it easier to weld thinner stuff. if you change over to gas and solid wire you will never go back, and you will wonder why you didn't do it sooner!! Dave.
                  WOW, were you ever right! Decided to hook up the gas cylinder and run some solid wire through the machine to do a little practice welding on some scrap. It almost looks like I know what I'm doing compared to some of my welds with the flux core.

Comment

now that you are starting to get the hang of it, remember to try to keep the gun at a right angle to the weld, not nessasarly the work (fillet welds) on a flat weld 90 degrees if at all possible, and so on and so on. flux core without gas is not a good choice for a small welder. the stronger flux core welds are made with much larger welders and are gas assisted. with out the gas they do not weld at all unless a speical wire is used, very windy or simular circumstances. good luck with your new found skills, make a lot of neat stuff and enjoy. PWdave.

Comment

Working...
                    X