Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 5.9 Cummins?

Hey Gang

Anybody ever stuff a Turbo Cummins in a Sweptline? My 383 is getting pretty tired and since I'll be towing with it.... I stumbled across an early '90s 3/4 Dodge in a wrecking yard. 5.9 with a slush box. I'm thinking of going with an auto box anyway, my knees ain't what they usd to be, although I really like shifting a stick...

Rob

A similar project was performed by Larry Cook, of Texas, who put a 3208 Cat in a W300. It was virtually a bolt-in deal, given how he did it. That engine is very heavy too, though I don't know how the weight of it compares with the 6BT Cummins.

If I remember the engine correctly, there is a man who has brought a W300 to the Iowa Rally several times, a truck repowered by a Ford (IH) V8 diesel, coupled to an Allison automatic. The engine and transmission combination was from a school bus, a good donor source.

In every case, weight is a big issue.
    Power Wagon Advertiser monthly magazine, editor & publisher.

Why is it that the inside of old truck cabs smell so good?

Comment

I own a 1970 W500 and think that the 5.9 cummins would be a great powerplant for it. The 318 gets the job done, but I just keep thinking about what could be!! I expect in my normal pattern of thinking and justification, I will soon believe that this modification to the truck will be more necessary than air.

This started with a wish for an overdrive to get the speed up a bit. I was considering a swap to the NP540OD, like I could actually find one. Then I moved on to the NV5600 six speed. Of course this just happens to come attached to the 24V 5.9 Cummins.

The current project is to add a dump to the flatbed. I expect to be done with that in about a months time. Meanwhile I'm looking for several things to do with the Cummins project. 1. Feedback on the idea, choice of 5.9 (1st Gen, 2nd, 3rd) 2. The perfect donor vehicle.

Please hit me with you ideas, the wealth of expertise lurking on the Dodge forums is amazing.

Comment

It seems to me that Marty has seen or knows of a Cummins/Sweptline match??? I have seen several Hemis installed, and one Cummins. if I can just remember where....ha!ha!
        As for weight, the Cummins will add about 325-425 lbs to the front, not unsurmountable, but certainly a consideration.
        MN

Comment

Cummins transplant

Before transplanting a Cummins in a truck in place of a gas V-8, you should realize that the Cummins has a much lower maximum rpm available, thus lowering your top speed. This will be especially bad in your case where you are looking to increase your top speed. I would suggest that you get a 2-speed rear differential with the low range ratio of the 2-speed equal to the ratio of the front differential. Then, you can use the higher speed for going down the highway in 2-wheel drive with the front disengaged. Putting the rear in low range before engaging 4-wheel drive will then make the ratios the same. Even this may not be enough of an increase to make up for the lower rpm's of the Cummins versus the gas V-8. Two ton rear differentials are pretty cheap and usually easy to find.

Comment

4.86 may be tolerated, but 4.10 would be prefered. I've had my 4.10 geared Ram up to 90+ (closed course, professional driver) without any problems, but that is with the automatic and overdrive engaged, I'd assume that 65 with a manual, non-overdrive and 4.86, would be pretty well have the Cummins wound out. The Cummins prefers to stay below 2100 rpm. It works well to about 2500 rpm, but it is protesting and sucking fuel!
            MN

Comment

Has anyone transplanted a 2 speed rear end into a Power Wagon?
              Tim
              57 Power Wagon
              Numerous Power Wagon parts trucks!
              57 W-100
              60 W-100
              51 M37
              61 Triumph TR-3A
              80 Triumph Spitfire
              09 Dodge Ram 2500HD
              05 Subaru Outback
              10 speed bike
              Hiking Boots

Sumus quod sumus

Comment

Well now, that certainly raised a few questions such as;

Would I be ok going slower but the sound of the Cummins was worth 5 or 6 grand. Hmmm NO

I have a two speed in my 67 C500, its 6.33. I know that, having just purchased the new one due to 7 yards of rock in the 5 yard dump backing up the hill. I was able to count the gears one at a time as I pulled them from the case. I would imagine that the 6.33 would be the lower of the two ratios, but I must admit, I never really thought about it. Would I remember to get the two speed rearend in the right ratio. Knowing me, No!!! A rather unique approach though Russ. (Also if 2 speed rears are cheap and plentiful in your neck of the woods, keep a eye out for a 15000 series eaton, its the one with the ridge on the back cover for the heavy duty ring gear perferably 6.33)

Next would be to consider regearing the frontend and the rearend. Having said that, the frontend is different looking housing in the W500 to say the least. I'm sure trying to find new gears would be a challenge. Anybody know what gear ratios the standard Dodge 4 speed has.

Rock bottom and still diggin

Comment

2-speed rear

Actually, I have an Eaton 2-speed rear differential that I picked up last fall. It has hydraulic disk brakes and is a massive unit overall. I don't have the ratios at hand just now, it's stored at my country place 85 miles away. I would guess it's from a 5-ton truck and fits 10 lug wheels. I'll send you a picture if you're interested.

I also have a 2-speed rear differential on a 1947 Dodge 2-ton truck frame available - it takes the large bolt circle 5 lug wheels. I also have a 1964 IHC Loadstar 1700 truck with a 2-speed rear differential, that fits 10 lug wheels, behind a 345 V-8 and 5 speed transmission. There's another 2-ton truck frame on my property that may have a 2-speed rear differential - I haven't checked it out closely yet.

Around here, 2-speed diff's seem to be readily available.

Comment

Thanks Russ, I'm interested in seeing a pic of the eaton with the disc brakes. No hurry, email is dozer7@internetcds.com.

I was over on the Gear Vendor site checking out thier overdrive units. The NV5600 with a Gear Vendor overdrive has a ratio down to .57, now thats getting close. Rather on the pricey side. The nice part is that it takes the place of the tailshaft housing on the Nv5600 and there lots of room between it and the transfer case. Anybody have any experience with any of their products?

My next move is to hook a tach up to see what I'm turning at 55.

Comment

Looking for a 1700 Loadstar

Russ:

What kind of condition is your Loadstar in?

I am looking for one for parts or rebuilding with my parts depending on which one is in the better condition.

I am in Billings Mt. If you have any pictures, please send them if the truck is available.

Thank you. (dmorales46@msn.com)

David

Originally posted by Russ Erickson View Post
                      Actually, I have an Eaton 2-speed rear differential that I picked up last fall. It has hydraulic disk brakes and is a massive unit overall. I don't have the ratios at hand just now, it's stored at my country place 85 miles away. I would guess it's from a 5-ton truck and fits 10 lug wheels. I'll send you a picture if you're interested.

I also have a 2-speed rear differential on a 1947 Dodge 2-ton truck frame available - it takes the large bolt circle 5 lug wheels. I also have a 1964 IHC Loadstar 1700 truck with a 2-speed rear differential, that fits 10 lug wheels, behind a 345 V-8 and 5 speed transmission. There's another 2-ton truck frame on my property that may have a 2-speed rear differential - I haven't checked it out closely yet.

Around here, 2-speed diff's seem to be readily available.

Comment

Looking for a 1700 Loadstar

Russ:

What kind of condition is your Loadstar in?

I am looking for one for parts or rebuilding with my parts depending on which one is in the better condition.

I am in Billings Mt. If you have any pictures, please send them if the truck is available.

Thank you. (dmorales46@msn.com)

David

Comment

Loadstar

I would like to sell the Loadstar - I sent you an e-mail.

Comment

sweptline/cummins

I have a 64 crewcab that we put a cummins in a while back.The swap was pretty easy.We had a 89 cummins 4x4 auto for a donor truck.We boxed the frame and used the stock front crossmember,the stock rear crossmember will bolt in,just drill new holes,we set the motor back 4" ,built a removable doghouse and kept the stock fan assembly(you dont have to set motor back,just take off fan),we used the 89 front and rear axle assemblies with the 3:07 gears and made new drive shafts,used the 89 brake booster/master cylinder,put on a 4" straight pipe and we were good to go....Jim

Comment

Working...
                            X