Clark 280VO

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Eaton fuller conversion

Noticed your looking to install RT6609 in your truck.If this has been done or not I would like to say a few words on this project.It can be done with some fabrication on the transmissions rear support, body lift to clear the SAE #2 housing, on board compressor for the minimum of 68 psi needed for shift range.And last but not least the drive shaft, you will need a slip yoke with same size of monster "U" joint to machine on to your existing drive shaft.The SAE #2 housing you can get at a good truck salvage. The flywheel you will need 14 inch or SAE #2 ,again a good truck salavge will have one or better a new one.Starter you will need a matching one to the flywheel housing.All these parts are common, I did not write down part numbers as I did my conversion but you should not run into any problems locating them.For clutch release I used the exsisting parts that came on the RT 6613 clutch housing which is a push type.Clutch usage is where I had a bit problem.I started with a 14 inch heavy duty paddle type, after 60k miles I pulled the tranny due to a leak. Then I decided to go with a double disk (OUCH!) I had to step up to the 1-3/4 input shaft,shaft housing,bigger release bearing and adapter ring kit for the dual clutch.With that said if you can stick with the single type go that way.As for the transmission I converted from RT to RTO because the engine revs were to high and also regeared to a 3.42 final drive.Weight wise yours weighs 373lbs.The 6613 I used weighs 554lbs less controls,now I did change the front springs on my 1 ton chevy to P30 van springs.All work was done by me if not I would still be paying for it, besides thats part of the fun saying " I DID THIS".As for shifting clutchless, just like the big rigs with straight 4 inch exhaust and dual 72 inch chrome stacks not to mention the attenion you will get.Now I would like to figure a way for a single stage compression brake not exhaust one.
    Martin

Comment

This is a really enjoyable thread. Know it's old. I just purchased a 280vo core that I plan on going though and putting in one of my projects probably behind a Deutz F5L 912, or, if I can find a Dakota my F4L 912. I'll use the Deutz adaptor to the SAE 2 bell housing. Or, I could use it behind my 4bt if I ever find a good truck for it.

Here's the question: my tranny came without a shifter and is in unknown condition. Will shifters from similar models fit? Do I have to use any hard replacement components from the same case #230790 to work on this 280vo? I could just change the overdrive components to another case if I knew which cases I can use - have about 6 available. I have one in an old GMC that has the 230790 case, but the shifter feels sloppy and worn. Also can get a couple of 282 and 285 v's I don't think the 230790 is a vo. One 285 is in an old fuel truck that has low miles and the tranny feels nice when shifting. I'd love to use that one and convert to od.

Comment

Working...
      X