Which Diesel to buy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Which Diesel to buy

Alright guys, I would like some opinions. I got rid of my suv when gas got high and have been driving GM cars with 3.8 liter engines. Great mileage, run/drive nice. But I miss my truck. So I am thinking about breaking down and buying a RAM diesel 2500. I have read some of the previous posts and you guys are extremely knowledgeable. But I want a decent daily driver and dont want to buy an old bread truck and swap engines etc etc.

I'd spend $15-18,000 on a crew cab.
    Which tranny should I stay away from or go to?
    What years are better than others?
    What kind of mileage can I expect?
    Would the aftermarket chips help mileage or just performance/power?
    I assume the low sulfer fuel is not an issue or do you add oil or ATF to it.

Thanks

Rkeane

Do you want the 98-02 quad cab with the small rear suicide doors, or the 03 and later quad cab with conventional rear doors? (mega-cab is post 05).

The best fuel mileage cummins were the 1st generation (89-93), but that's the old lifestyle series cab. 94-97 were little more power/less mileage and still 12 valve. Around 98 went to 24 valve, which I believe meant more power. For a few years the cummins was available in reg. and high output, plus autos had different output than manual shift trucks.

Around 07 the 5.9 was replaced by the thirstier 6.7

$15-18000 will get you 03-05 with about 100k on the clock

Comment

Thanks, I have looked around a little and you are right in the $. I don't think I want to go older than 6-7 years. Probably a crew cab, short box.

thanks again,

Rkeane

Comment

Originally posted by 712edf View Post
        Do you want the 98-02 quad cab with the small rear suicide doors, or the 03 and later quad cab with conventional rear doors? (mega-cab is post 05).

The best fuel mileage cummins were the 1st generation (89-93), but that's the old lifestyle series cab. 94-97 were little more power/less mileage and still 12 valve. Around 98 went to 24 valve, which I believe meant more power. For a few years the cummins was available in reg. and high output, plus autos had different output than manual shift trucks.

Around 07 the 5.9 was replaced by the thirstier 6.7

$15-18000 will get you 03-05 with about 100k on the clock

Excellent answer.

Comment

I would try to stay away from 03-04 those were the early years for the common rail cummins, which is still a great motor is somewhat known for having injector issues. 98-02 trucks have a weakers injection pump that is known to be somewhat unreliable if a good supply of fuel isnt kept to it (Good workin lift pump or aftermarket fuel pump works best and a fuel pressure guage is a must) Dodge trans are nothing to write home about either but will hold up decent as long as not to much power is added. And a torque converter lock up switch is a great addition if you plan on towing alot.

Comment

Dodge has a TSB on that pump and a gauge will tell you if it's in trouble.
            Chances are, that the original owner replaced the pump under warranty. If the pump is on the engine, it's original, if the fuel pump is in the tank, it's been repaired by Dodge.

The main issue with the transmissions from those years is the overdrive has to be turned OFF when towing or hauling heavy loads. These transmissions build huge heat in a hurry when operated incorrectly. I have a 23,600 GVWR in my 2002 Chassis/Cab with automatic. If you take care of it, it will take care of you.

Comment

Working...
            X